Don't buy AppleCare, it's NOT worth (Specially for 32GB)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by garyleecn, Oct 26, 2015.

1. garyleecn, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2015

garyleecn macrumors 6502a

first, it's AppleCare not AppleCare+, which means it does NOT cover accidental damages. so the coverage is pretty much the same as some certain credit cards provides. Not worth it.

secondly, just do the math, it's pretty sample.
    the only different between buying AC or not, is whether you are covered during the 2nd and 3rd year.
    and the AC is $30, ATV is $150/$200 depending on your version
    so, only if the possibility of ATV failing during 2nd and 3rd is greater than 20% (for 32GB) or 15% (for 64GB), it's statistically more economical to just buy an ATV when it fails instead of buying AC.
    and from past experience, Apple's quality is quite good, the failing rate is certainly less than 15%

BTW, the actual 'price' for an ATV is less than $100. the $150 retail price includes a $80 remote. when your ATV fails and you go buy another one, you can easily sell the extra remote for $50 on eBay or whatever

2. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I don't think extended warranty is needed for an Apple TV.

3. rigormortis, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

all devices that have applecare, even the apple tv, have a clause in their apple care contracts that say that apple care
    covers any apple brand routers like the airport extreme or time capsule, for a period of 2 years before the purchase of the covered product and 3 years for the applecare policy term ( or in the case of the apple tv, 2 years)

so if you own any apple wireless equipment, that $29 alone makes it worth it.

the minimum requirements for this coverage is that it must be a apple brand wireless router and you must own it, and the applecare covered product connects to it.

this is an all purpose argument for applecare. if someone asks if applecare is worth it for the apple watch, you have to remember that if you own a 3 tb time capsule that you bought for $399 , any applecare plan covers that too.

as a comparison , i bought a roku 3 on march 18 2013, and it died around june 15 2015

something was wrong with it, and i tried multiple times to try and reset it to factory settings and it was hosed. its my guess that the heat sink was no longer good , and the cpu was over heating and causing the roku to die.

4. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

I have no idea why would you purchase Applecare on an AppleTV, it just sits there and streams. I've owned 6 appleTVs and none have ever given me any issues that a simple reboot wouldnt fix. not sure why you would need it.

5. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

see message #3

6. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Same its not worth AppleCare for either 32 or 64.

my current ATV 3rd gen has been on and off most days for the last 4 years, no issues what so ever

7. garyleecn thread starter macrumors 6502a

well, in most cases, if you even own an Airport, you probably own some other apple products, iPhones, iPads, macs, AppleCare(+) on those have covered the airport already right?

8. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

Buying a warranty for anything sub 1000.00 is usually a complete waste.

9. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

Apple router is only covered if purchased less than two years prior to the Apple TV.

10. jblagden macrumors 65816

jblagden

I would also say this goes for any Apple stuff. The fact that it only covers 2 years of the product’s lifespan, is reason enough not to buy it. The other thing is that with how much Apple Store employees ask you about buying AppleCare, you’d think it was insurance, but it’s not. It doesn’t cover accidental damage. And since Apple stuff is made very well, it’s very unlikely that it’ll fail. As long as you don’t buy a first generation product or a Mac which has a mobile GPU, you don’t need AppleCare. Besides, sometimes Apple covers repairs or replacements for out-of-warranty products. Just look at the repair/replacement extension programs for power adapters, iMac hard drives, iPhone 5 batteries, iPhone sleep/wake buttons, Beats Pill XL speakers, and MacBook Pros with faulty video cards, just to name several.

11. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

2 years prior of the purchase of any device and up to two or 3 years of apple care coverage, for a total of 4 or 5 years.

12. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

yes, but i had to throw in the airpot / time capsule clause. a lot of people forget about it. they just assume their applecare plan only covers the device and that is all

13. rigormortis, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015

rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i sure could of used some kind of extended warranty when my roku 3, which just sits and streams overheated and died after owning it for only 21 months. i had to pay $99 for a new one.

i called roku before about another issue before this, like i needed to do a factory reset. they told me to buy a new one and i was out of my 90 day warranty, luckily i got 21 months of use out of it.

i purchased a new one and by the time it got delivered by amazon , my old one came back from the dead. and so i said okay this is great. ill spend the $7 to return the new one. and after a week
    it never came back , it was never reliable ever again, so i had to buy the one i have right now.

i cant even turn the roku on long enough to sign it out of netflix or remove my personal information on it.

extended warranties are a gamble, because eventually all electronics fail. all your doing is gambling on if it will fail sooner or later.

14. AVonGauss macrumors regular

Based on the relatively low replacement cost, I agree AppleCare isn't a good deal for the Apple TV. That said, I've had an ATV 3 that worked for a year or so and then started to have issues with the wired ethernet that a "reboot" didn't fix. Just like any other electronics, they do fail.

15. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Just pre ordered the new Apple TV (64 gb) but will not be getting Applecare. I still have the original Apple TV and have had zero problems with. I'm expecting the same with the new one.
    In fact it's the only Apple device I've owned without getting AppleCare along with it.

16. comptr macrumors 65816

Don't forget some credit cards offer 2nd year warrentary.

17. HenryDJP macrumors 603

And you're great experience is why Apple knows they shouldn't charge more than $30 for it. It's just extra profit for them.

The only thing the OP is not acknowledging about the Applecare is with the included one year you don't get FULL support for an entire year. You only get 90 days phone support. Some people do need to call for help. Buying the Applecare gives you full 3 years phone support.