Dont buy Canon MP160 printer or get it free!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eric Lewis, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

I got one free with the mail in rebate with my new iMac...it is a great printer and works great and its $99 bucks..so you cant go wrong!

until

you find out how much the ink is! At costco in CANADA! you get 2 blacks, and 1 color for $69.99 and thats so expensive!

my older hp printer was 39.99 for 2 blacks and 1 color...

just letting you guys know

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I always consider the cost of ink before I even consider the printer itself.

3. Prelude2Tragedy macrumors regular

Before you complain about how much ink costs, make sure you compare how much ink your actually getting. The Canon 40 black tank is 20 dollars and 16mL. The 41 color tank is 25 dollars and 12 mL total, 4 mL per color. The new HP ink tanks out for example, have 4.5 mL of black for 15 dollars and 5mL of color for 20 dollars with the 74 and 75 cartridges. When you do that math your saving so much money with the canon. Im not saying that they aren't extremely expensive, but Canon is certainly a lesser evil.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

^^^I had similar thoughts. The OP provided no information about the amount of ink he was getting. I can buy a quart of milk for less than what it costs to buy a gallon of milk, but that doesn't make the gallon more expensive.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The printer industry as a whole has really made it's money through consumables. The same holds true for things such as those single serve coffee makers. The money has never been in the machine itself, it's always in consumables.

As a printer manufacturer you cannot assume you will make any kind of money off the machine. They're probably fairly cheap to produce, but once you sell it and realize the profit that is it. The money from ink sales alone is where it is at.

While shopping for a printer it is always a great idea to see what ink will cost until of course you step out of the consumer printers (the standard $100-$200 ink jets) then you really have to go with quality, ink type etc. I own an R1800 which in itself is not an inexpensive printer. It is priced well for its class, but that is about it. Ink is $10-$12 a cartridge and you need at least 8 of them I believe (it is unplugged on my couch right now--don't ask). A continuos ink system is really the way to go for that to get the most prints out of the ink. On a consumer based printer, like my Epson 925 that is used for proofs and standard paper printing, the ink cartridges are $25-35 depending upon where I get them. That is in fact standard in any consumer printer.

To say that you should not buy or even pick up a free printer, regardless of the model is silly. This is just the way that it goes. Now if the MP160's cartridges were more than say $30 +/- a piece I would certainly say that for the quality of the machine you can certainly justify not buying that one. However, it would appear that the cartridges are priced as expected; about $30.

Your best bet if you are so very concerned with this is to research printers and try to determine how many pages you can print per cartridge. I know data such as that exists but know that this is the nature of the business. Printers don't make Canon money, the ink does.

Where the "don't buy because the refills cost..." logic would really apply is with things like cars and their maintenance and gas. If you buy a car that gets 10 miles a gallon then the car, as long as you own it, will wind up costing you much more than expected. You can spend $50k on a nice ass 4WD truck and then twice as much money on gas over time or you can spend $65k on a smaller sized BMW and less on gas as the mileage will undoubtedly be better. Random association I know, but the whole idea of consumables is never really considered in my opinion when shopping for any new item.

You could buy a 10 pack of BIC pens and a pad of paper and start writing. ;)

6. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Canon printers also tend to be much more efficient with ink than HP printers, so not only do you get a cartridge with many times more ink, but the printer uses it more slowly.

That being said, the most efficient strategy for buying an inkjet printer is probably to buy one with separate cartridges for each color. That way, when you run out of yellow, you don't have to replace the whole color cartridge, just the yellow one.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Another good idea is to simply refill the cartridge. This way, you cut down on waste and help the environment, and get much cheaper ink.

8. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

I always refill mine. I've been happy with the results, and I'm sure others who are more professional may not be happy with it. But for the little printing I do (school papers) it has been great and much cheaper.

9. gazelleintense macrumors regular

gazelleintense

I always refilled.. .cheaper and works good enough for my basic printing needs... mostly text.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yeah, I have a feeling that most of the OP's needs are texual in nature...he would benefit greatly by refilling his cartridges.

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well yes, but when the occasion for color comes along, the color printer can prove useful. Not that it matters. Within a few months, the price of laser color printers will come down to the level of ink jets, and that entire line of products will go the way of airline insurance.

13. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

Well.. Since the printer was free, i guess you could just chuck it?

In most.. Asian countries, you can buy "compatible" cartridges that work fine in the printers, for a fraction of the cost;) Of course that voids the warranty if they find out.. But if cost is really important.. Then just use them..

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Well, it's a lot easier to use the right cartridge and simply refill it. There's no need to try using other cartridges that might not work correctly.

15. mox123 macrumors 6502

how does one refill cartridges? i got a free HP all-in-one printer with my macbook....would be something useful to know in the office

when i need to print stuff, i would usually wait till i get to office and print from there for free....so i have never really needed to replace an ink cartridge ever...

16. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

You have to find a shop that will refill the cartridge for you. I can't remember for sure, but I believe some places like Staples and Office Depot still offer the service. If not, try a Kinkos.

18. mox123 macrumors 6502

oh great...i'll look into that....thanks for the heads-up!

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

When you find out, post it here so the OP knows where he can refill his. I honestly haven't had the need to refill mine because up till recently, I've never owned my own printer. However, refilling the cartridge is the best way to go.