Don't buy iPods from Apple Retail Store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gvegastiger, Dec 7, 2007.

1. gvegastiger macrumors regular

Just thought I'd share an experience I've had recently with everyone. I received an iPod Touch for my birthday from my wife in middle of October. She drove to Charlotte to buy it for me bc it was the closese place that had them then.

2 weeks later (outside Apples crappy 14 day window) I started having lots of problems with it. Anytime I took it on a plane it would be affected by the altitude and crash constantly and when I would try to plug it back up to my computer, it'd throw an error and crash completely so I would have to manual restore to get it back. So I drove back to Charlotte to return it (this is about 4 weeks after I bought it). They won't let me exchange it but instead gave me another new one although without any of the orginal packaging. Ok, no big deal. Well the new one is crappy too. Does the same exact thing. So now, bc it was purchased from Apple retail, I can't exchange it for anything else.

Moral of the story, Apple refuses to act like any other retailer and accept exchanges on faulty products. So my options are to return it to Apple for another one, which may not be brand new this time but refurbished, or keep the stupid thing and never use it on a plane (which I fly often for my work).

So if you are going to buy an iPod get it from Target or CompUSA or Walmart or any other retailer. But don't buy it directly from Apple. All you get is a product that they won't stand by.

2. paul17win macrumors member

paul17win

sorry about that guess your just really unlucky! I have a brand new MacBook Pro and its perfect. better luck next time with your apple purchase

3. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

the 14 day exchange/return policy is a bit obscene. sorry to hear about your issues.

Maybe plead it out with applecare and maybe they'll help you out.

4. gvegastiger thread starter macrumors regular

I've called them several times, offered to even pay a 15% restock fee or whatever and no dice. The guys just say, you already know the policy and I can't do anything to help you out. It sucks bc I really like Apple products and still do overall, but now I hate Apple retail.

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Which is unfortunate because, I used to work at Apple retail, and there IS something they can do, they are just being by the book jackasses.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I agree; stay away from the retail stores if at all possible. It's much better to buy online (new or refurbished) and then go to the stores if you've got a problem.

7. ejbenjamin macrumors member

I had problems with my iPod Touch on an airplane, too. After the first time I used it on a flight, it wouldn't turn back on. I would have to wait until the battery was fully drained, then recharge. Many problems thereafter.

Is this a common issue?

8. gvegastiger thread starter macrumors regular

MovieCutter, is there a particular thing I should say or do or number to call to complain about this? All I want is an exchange so I can get an iPod classic.

9. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I hate myself for stating the obvious but have you tried calling AppleCare?

Politely state that this is the second iPod Touch and it is having the same problem as the first one you bought/got.

10. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

If I were at the register, I would take your iPod, return it and give you a gift card in exchange, call a manager, have them override the "exceeds 14 day return policy" message the register will give them, and explain to them you've been through a couple iPods and that I felt the need to "Surprise and Delight" the customer by giving them a gift card for the amount of the return.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Did you read the tech specs which state Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m).

OK, the aircraft is pressurized, but not to 1 atmosphere at ground level. Have you checked what the equivalent/corrected altitude in the aircraft was.

12. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

Yea, I completely agree. Don't get mad when your product doesn't do something it is not supposed to do. You should have checked this first if it working at high altitudes was important to you. I think the problem here is consumer ignorance, and Apple is at fault in no way.

People never seem to take any responsiblitly for their actions these days. It's always someone else's fault....

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Normally I go to BestBuy or CurcuitCity to buy electronics just for this reason. I did buy my 160GB Classic iPod from Apple because I had my $100 iPhone credit and the iPod was the only thing I wanted to use it on. Luckily my iPod has been perfect in every way. I got it in September.

14. acrafton macrumors 6502

Odd. . I have never had a problem. . .

My local Apple store has repeatedly replaced defective items for me and my friends with no problem at all. . .

1. Wife's IPhone 2 months after purchase.
    2. My 17" Macbook Pro after 4 months (optical drive went bad then the system board and they offered, with NO asking from me to give me a new one).
    3. Neighbor's IPod Touch for a screen issue 4 weeks or so after he bought it.

I guess it depends on the store. . .

15. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Yea it seems a bit crappy that the 14 day rule applies to iPod's. Are all products bought at Apple only allowed to be returned within the first 14 days?

16. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Other iPods have the same altitude limits and people use them on planes all the time. Cabin pressure, I believe, should not be lower than the equivalent of 8000ft or so. The iPod here is clearly faulty.

17. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

ummm, Apple refuses to exchange faulty products? What do you call them giving you another one? Yeah it's a bummer that the replacement was also acting odd, but really do you think getting it anywhere else would change that. Say you bought it a Target, do you think target would take it back a month later?

18. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

At least it was the iPod and not the plane, :D

19. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Target has a 90 day return policy. So yes. They'd probably let you have store credit since it's an open electronic though.

20. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I think the problem HERE is poster ignorance. Maybe you should learn something before accusing people of not taking responsibility. Here's how it works young padawan.

When you fly, the cabin is pressurized to simulate lower altitudes usually 8000 ft or less, if it wasn't, your head might explode or you'd go unconscious. The idea that the iPod is subject to it's altitude limitations in a pressurized cabin is idiotic. If it were, my iPhone, and every iPod I've used on planes in the last 5 years would ALL have died when I flew. :rolleyes:

21. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

You have just made my night!

22. f1 macrumors 6502

Most Apple Stores i've visited don't even follow the 14 day rule. If the packaging is still sealed they'll practically return anything even if its like over 6 months old in my experience. As with iPods, if it breaks within 14 days they usually swap it out for me no questions ask or they'll offer a full refund. After that, if i make enough trips to the Genuis Bar they usually swap it out for me. Realy depends which store you go to.

23. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Yeah, this is definitely an iPod defect. Of course, the chances of it being acknowledged by Apple are slim to none. Best keep that in mind before buying an iTouch--at least until the next update.

24. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

A hem! What? Personally, a product such as an iPod or other portable music device is pointless unless it works on a plane. That was the initial reason I got one to begin with. If such an item has issues with planes then APPLE should make this clear and VERY clear I might add. I just got a Classic, hope that thing is fine in the air. :mad:

25. LeMacK macrumors newbie

Exactly. By the way, the cabin pressure in a Boeing 747 at 40,000 ft. will be equivalent to an altitude of no more than 6,500 ft. well within spec for an iPod. (and no I didn't get that from Wikipedia... [Directly measured cabin pressure conditions during Boeing 747–400 commercial aircraft flights
    KELLY PT, SECCOMBE LM, ROGERS PG, PETERS MJ. Respirology 2007; 12: 511–515]).

thanks.