Don't buy MacBook batteries from ifixit.com

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Acorn, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

recently i purchased a brand new battery from ifixit.com. The battery was almost 3 times as expensive as what they were asking for the same new battery on ebay. However I thought I was paying for a true oem battery not a knockoff that would die shortly after.

The battery is at 93% health after only 3 cycles. For reference my macbook air is at 92% health with 150 cycles. Ive checked the battery both with cocunut battery and istat and they both report the same results. 93% health after only 3 cycles.

AFter emailing "tech" support the only thing they did for me was tell me that it needed 2 months to "calibrate" itself. note this is complete non sense all macbook batteries after 2009 come precalibrated as stated by apple.

There is obviously something wrong with the battery and ifixit wont do anything about it. so anyway dont buy from them unless you want a battery like mine that will be completely useless in 4 months.

2. macizcool macrumors member

What makes you believe the battery will be useless in 4 months?

3. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

My battery sometimes has 100% health after calibrating.. And sometimes it's at 98 and then back to 99... Did you calibrate it?

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

My brand new mbp came with a capacity of 93% on day one. Has stayed there the past year too.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

6. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

He bought a new battery.. It might not come pre calibrated.. It doesn't harm to calibrate it

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, new batteries do come pre-calibrated, if they come from Apple. Buying from a 3rd party, all bets are off. No, it doesn't harm to calibrate it, except for the fact that fully draining a battery is not good for it.

I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

8. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

It was a suggestion to see if the op had an increased health on the battery afterwards

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Calibration doesn't affect battery health at all. It only makes readings more accurate, and isn't necessary on newer Mac notebooks with built-in batteries. Read the Battery FAQ I posted for details.

10. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

2 things:
    - stop watching battery health meter like a hawk
    - use the thing, and IF it screws up and is out of spec (i.e., you don't get your 1000 charges before battery life goes to hell) THEN go checking battery health and posting complaints about it.

For what its worth my original MBP battery is on something like 92% health and has been for over a year.

11. brand macrumors 601

brand

And how do you know that it is the same exact battery?