Don't buy MBP's now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark28, Jan 21, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

Check out the Asus N53SV-SZ016V which is selling now for almost 2 weeks.

Core i7 2630QM ( Sandy Bridge Quad core )
    6 gb DDr3
    15" LED
    640 Gb
    USB 3.0, 2 x USB 2.0, eStata
    GTX 540m
    weight: 700 grams more than the 13" MBP
    Price: Cheaper than the 13" MBP ( even with student discount ) :eek:

Now ofcourse the case and trackpad is not of the same quality as the MBP, but I don't think that justifies the price of the MBP.

For a 15" Core i7 MBP you can buy 2 of these Asus laptops, which are each far more powerful. So even if the supposedly build quality of Asus is much worse than that of Apple computers, just buy a new one if it breaks and you're still cheaper :D ( Asus usually gives 2 years warranty standard, so it shouldn't be a problem if something breaks that isn't your fault )

It has NVIDIA optimus so it can also have long battery life.

So, I'd personally wait for the new MBP and stay away from the current MBP. I think they are not worth the money atm. This is just my opinion ofcourse :)

2. kamil.amersi macrumors member

i couldnt agree more with you

3. freddy-b macrumors regular

how much is this thing..? i think i wasted my money. :S

4. kendrickhphoto macrumors member

There is one selling on amazon right now for $1200 and the main thing that I noticed from the details was this 4GB of DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM, 4 slots, 16GB Max;

5. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Unfortunately, this fact has never changed even back when it was known as a Powerbook.

I just plopped $2500 on my 15" ultimate anti-glare MBP and am seriously happy. If a new MBP just so happens to come up in the next 2 weeks, I'll exchange it for that. If not, oh well, I'm too old to be doing this latest and greatest dance I've been doing since my college days.

If you need it now, get it.

6. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

972,23 euro. And the 13" MBP is 1149 euro.

The 2010 MBP is still very good. :D But if I was to buy a new MBP now, I'm going to wait untill the new MBP shows up, even if it will take 2-3 months of waiting after seeing what other laptop manufactures are offering at this moment.

7. SuperMiguel macrumors 6502

when is the new 13" coming out?

8. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Never.

Sent from my iPhone.

9. ml.sail1 macrumors regular

I got a GREAT laugh out of this, lol haha

10. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

FWIW, for my personal use, I will never (ever) go back to Windoze. This Asus may use the latest and greatest, but it only does Winblows.

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Asus makes a kickass computer and more than likely, it is a great laptop. Asus also delivers IMO the best bang-for-the-buck in the entire notebook computer industry, right next to Samsung laptops.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Asus-N61J...0000003142050&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=15421262
    1 grand for quad core and standard 2 year warranty...you can't beat that.

With that said, I don't regret the extra money spent on the MBP and would still get a 15 inch i7 over the Asus...now with that said, at the current time, I think I would get the new Samsung (metal case, quad core, 8-16RAM, 512SSD) over both and run Linux on it.

The MBP's recently have used somewhat archaic technology...I don't think anyone can deny that but every laptop quickly becomes archaic. With that said, futuristic versus older technology means nothing if your products are selling and have positive customer reviews. To date, all laptops in the price range of the MBP have either similar or lesser ratings than it and the MBP is still constantly in the 'top'. I hope the revision has SATA3 compatibility and USB3 instead of FW3200. I suspect it will. If they keep a CD drive, they should use Blu Ray as MBP customers want it and the costs of it aren't outrageous. With that said, other than USB3/SATA3, there aren't other technologies I feel I could personally benefit with and so overall, the older 13 inch MBP still suits my needs just fine and its reliability record and overall ergos has IMO justified and does still justify the cost.

Bottom line: don't get too worried. Apple will eventually release something to take the MBP back up to the 'future', but they take their time and honestly, that is a good thing. If I was making laptop computers in a time when quad core is getting popular but not extensively used yet, I would wait on other companies releasing their quad core laptops, buy them, learn from them, and perfect the technology by addressing the issues found on them. The best R&D is often the slowest and most frustrating.

12. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Does it come with Mac OS X? :D

13. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I don't see mbp getting updated before wwdc 2011. Apple is taking a time on this one to update mbp. It won't be just typical spec updates. They are changing something big.

14. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

lol

15. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

That will be 14 months from the previous update. It has never been more than 10.