Don't Buy OWC SSD's.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mungk, Aug 28, 2012.

1. mungk macrumors newbie

Just wanted to post my experience so to save people time and money by avoiding OWC.

I purchased a Mercury Extreme Pro 3G 240GB ($360 USD) which died in 8 months. I put in for an RMA and they sent me the lower model Mercury Electra 3g ($240 USD). I called to inquire about the downgrade and they said that the Electra is essentially the Extreme Pro with a newer chipset. To me this sounds like BS, cause the Electra and the Extreme Pro 3g were being sold side by side a year ago. So basically i'm out $120 bucks and stuck with a SSD that I don't trust to put into my computer.

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

if you didn't receive the product you ordered then you are entitled to a refund. Most places give you a preference refund within 30days or so anyway.

3. cvaldes macrumors 68040

I suggest you call OWC and insist on talking with a customer service supervisor to get this resolved to your satisfaction. After all, the drive is under warranty.

If they refuse, I would bring this up with the merchant dispute department of the credit card company that you used for this purchase. When I buy a big ticket item, I typically use my American Express since they have the best customer service in the credit card industry.

Good luck.

4. ryanide macrumors 6502

I don't agree.

I love my OWC SSD drives. I have had one in my MBP for several years and one in my Mac Pro for at least a year and never had any problems. They are super fast and reliable. I highly recommend them, especially since the prices have dropped like crazy.

5. iMarc845 macrumors member

iMarc845

I agree with Ryanide. I'm very happy with the OWC SSD I have in my Mac Pro. It seems premature to bad-mouth OWC until you speak with a Customer Service Manager. Whoever you spoke to previously may be new or poorly trained, or both.

I've dealt with OWC for many years and they've always made things right by me the few times I had an issue. Of course, you will need to be your own advocate. Many people, including me, will say it's your own issue if you accept a half-a$$ed answer without pushing back. At the same time, being civil generally gets one better service than acting like a raving lunatic.

6. brentsg macrumors 68030

He had a bad experience. It's not the OPs responsibility to retrain their customer service department before making a post here. He had a failure and they handled it poorly. It sucks that OP has to waste even more time to get the proper result.

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Agreed. I have had issues with OWC and now I wont recommend them for even a cable, they suck and tend to overprice their products because they put the words "mac compatible" next to them and idiots believe it like its specially made for a mac.

Their business ethics are some of the lowest and worst Ive seen and dealt with.

8. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

You may not be able to get the exact replacement due to supply issues.

However, is the replacement performing worse? Is the warranty worse?

If not, then I don't see how OWC has wronged you here.

Prices change over a period of 8 months. Models change. Supply changes.

Unless you are getting slower performance, and/or the drive is not going to live out the rest of your warranty period with the same level of cover, then I don't see what you have to complain about?

That said, if you have the option of a refund and are unhappy with the replacement, take it.

9. TinHead88 macrumors regular

TinHead88

In my experience OWC has great customer service. You will be able to get this resolved to your satisfaction if you are a reasonable person and allow them the opportunity to address your concerns.

10. dba415 macrumors 6502

Ive had my agility 3 ssd in my macbook pro for a couple weeks and no problems so far.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

My only issue with them is their exaggeration. They make too many false claims, such as that Grade A nand crap.

12. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

That too.

13. Bauer24 macrumors regular

Wrong company.:p

We're talking about OWC, not OCZ.

These guys:
    http://eshop.macsales.com

14. DFTU101 macrumors member

I have several OWC drives. Only a problem once when I but one of their "used SSD"s. Called them and they sent out a new one without a problem. They have great customer service.

I looked on their site. They no longer sell the 3G "Pro" version. It's just either the 3G or 6G version. I know the 3G Pro in the past was no faster than the 3G, I just think it may have had a longer warranty period. I believe you received the current model of what you originally purchased.

SSD also fail. Sorry you had one that died in only 8 months.

----------

Also, yes it's amazing how fast SSD prices are dropping. I paid nearly twice the price 2 years ago for the same SSD's today.