Don't buy the MCE Optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by odedia, Jun 1, 2011.

1. odedia macrumors 65816

I bought one for 115$ with shipping.
    Screws don't fit 17" mbp, I had to force it in...
    Superdrive enclosure is not working at all.
    Tried contacting them - it's like the don't even exist.

Very disappointed...

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Yeah, I went with the $10 eBay special and it works great :)

3. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

Bought the OWC Data Doubler. Very happy with that. Works great and fits perfectly.

4. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

That looks nice. Thanks for the tip.

5. nygfan80 macrumors regular

Yeah, I returned my item to them and still waiting to be reimbursed. It's been over two months now. Keep getting ignored on my emails. Don't know where to go from here.

6. gmans46 macrumors regular

I went with the data doubler aswell owc has a good rep

7. aluren macrumors 65816

Is there any difference between the MCE, OWC, and the cheap eBay version aside from maybe a better quality build?

8. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

No, it's simply a plug adapter that routes the same wires to a different shape connector (standard SATA to the mini optical SATA). Like you said though, the build quality is different.

9. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

if you spend more than $20 on a bay, you're doing it wrong.

10. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

I don't mind paying more than $20 for an optibay as long as its good quality as I rely on my MacBook Pro as my primary work tool. Spend $20 if you like - my data is worth way more than that to me, I bought an OWC data doubler its super good quality and supports Sata 6GB which I'm sure a $20 piece of eBay junk will not.
    Your comment of "you're doing it wrong" is the sort of thing my uncle who does everything on the cheap/dodgy would be proud of. Personally I think you're doing it wrong when you try to be a cheap bastard - Your Macs not cheap so why the **** would you use cheapass parts inside it?

11. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

lol.

I don't think you understand what the component is if you think you need to spend more than $20.

There are no advanced parts involved. Simply a piece of metal that can hold your HDD/SSD and SATA connector.

It's like saying, "I don't mind paying $200 for an HDMI cable as long as it is good quality because I rely on my monitor as my primary work tool." Sure there are people who will sell you a $200 cable, but if you understand the technology then you know why you shouldn't spend more than $10 on an HDMI cable.

Now, based on your defensiveness (very apparent) it sounds like you already spent more than $20 and your ego needs to feel alright just as the sucker who bought Monster/Chocolate HDMI cables needs to believe that he's seeing a better picture than the people who spent $6. I cannot provide that feel-good moment for you because it'd be a lie. But I can offer the truth: $20 is the maximum you should spend. You're getting no more reliability from a $40-$60 bay caddy than from a $5-$20 caddy. The less expensive caddy would not have prevented the 6GBs data rate.

If you spent more to feel better or "secure", understand you spent $20-$40 more than you had to in order to have that "feeling"; not because it was necessary or beneficial.

Sorry if the truth that you overspent bothers you. Consider it a lesson learned. Lots of people bought Monster HDMI Cables before learning their lesson.

FWIW, I actually had my father return 2 sets of Chocolate HDMI cables ($250 per) because the salesman had convinced him that he needed them to view 3D programming and that's just how much those kinds of cables cost. I took him to monoprice the next day and had those cables returned by the end of the week. Also, I too overpaid by about $15 for my bay caddy. I felt like an idiot...but that was before I knew about all the other options out there available at Buy.com, Amazon.com and eBay. If I had known, I wouldn't have made the mistake. As such, I feel its important to let other people know so that they don't waste their money unnecessarily. Perhaps you, by contrast, feels justified when you overpay by convincing others to waste the same amount of money...but I find that a very selfish motive.

Try not to take things so personally. You don't work for OWC. Perhaps you made a small mistake in paying a little too much for a caddy, but $20 wasted shouldn't send you into rants. Maybe $2,000, but not $20. Get your life together.

12. KwanMan macrumors regular

Well said

13. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

I bought the OWC Data Doubler because they deliver perfectly matching screws, the right tools and a fitting caddy. And it's tested in every Macbook. Honestly, every Macbook model is slightly different inside in case of design. If you buy some cheap crap with no reputation, you can not be sure that it will fit and work in your specific MacBook. And I don't want to have to force in screws because the holes or screws do not fit properly. I mean it's a pretty expensive notebook we're talking about here.
    I feel much better spending 80$ for something that works perfectly than spending 10$ without knowing what I will get.
    Just my personal opinion...

14. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

File a dispute with your Credit Card company. Call them and they will send you the form in the mail, or look for it on their site.

15. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

Thanks.

And something else guys, why do we spend thousands of dollars for an Apple MBP when the image and the feel-good effect doesn't matter?
    Just saying...

16. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

So, if the $20 e-bay ones are exactly the same thing, please explain to me why I had to buy the original MCE one, because with one of these $20 "optibay" my hdd was noisy, vibrated like crazy and wouldn't sleep properly, spinning up and down like mad?

Yes, I thought they were the same thing, but apparently not.

17. KwanMan macrumors regular

And this is the reason why people get ripped off

18. JronMasteR, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

I looked at the MCE solution, and some installing videos, and it looked like cheap crap. Especially the metal casing is complete crap.
    Then I looked at the OWC solution. Very good reputation, stone solid anodized aluminum bracket and great installing videos. I did a lot of research before I decided.

19. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

This is not getting ripped of. It's supporting great and reliable stores like OWC.
    If you think Apple products are not overpriced than do some research...

20. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I went with a budget eBay optibay, just had to make sure it had the right fixings. It works perfectly for me, no problems with fitting it. I have an SSD in it so I can't comment on vibrations though.

The other options just seemed overpriced for what is essentially a metal case and an adapter (from SATA power to slimline SATA power, SATA data connector is the same).

21. KwanMan macrumors regular

Supporting them/ripping yourself off, those aren't mutually exclusive, people just choose to say the former to justify overpaying for stuff. And I never said Apple products are not overpriced, I might be one of the few on this forum who actually thinks the pricing on Apple products are ridiculously priced and will never buy anything from them.

ps. I didn't buy my MBP I won it on a scratchcard and am using it as a secondary laptop just to see what the fuss about OSX is about

22. rev.b macrumors regular

rev.b

I don't doubt OWC is also a good solution.

MCE optibay may not have the looks, but it's definitely well built (absence of noise and vibrations compared to the cheap one), the screws fitted perfectly my 15" MBP, and above all, it fixed the hdd sleep issue.

So I guess you can't say it's not a quality product. It is.

23. JronMasteR, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

I stay corrected then. I was just not convinced by the casing. In regarding that the Data Doubler was cheaper and in my opinion better I went for OWC. It's also possible that the optibay in the video i saw was not the real MCE solution.
    Update: It was not the MCE solution I saw in that video

24. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I got the MCE Optibay because it was the only one available when I wanted to go dual. If I was getting one today it wouldn't be the MCE.

It was expensive and the screw holes to secure the drive to the caddy are all out of alignment. I can only use one screw and have the drive be able to mate with the SATA connector. One screw is all that's needed, but for $120 or whatever I paid for it they could have bothered to put the holes in the right places.

25. duncanbrodie1 macrumors member

I bought the el cheapo adaptor from ebay and it works like a champ. All of the correct screws were included. (I admit, a couple of the screw holes didn't align in the bracket perfectly) But its in there, and no chance of coming out.
    There really is no need to overspend in a relatively simple bracket like this.
    I don't think that the "well if you think your macbook pro isn't over-priced then check again" argument really holds any water in this situation. Its a terrible analogy.
    Yes, macbooks are freaken expensive. But you're paying for design (which is as much aesthetic as it is utility based) and a LOT of superior technology.

NOBODY IS GOING TO SEE YOUR DAMN OPTICAL BAY HDD CADDY!!!!!

all it does is mount a hard drive

honestly, this thread is troll city