Don't buy this car...!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lord Blackadder, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

A coke can is more crash-proof than that! shish!!

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's taking crush zones a bit too far.

I suppose it's cheap because they eliminated all the metal and just painted the plastic to look like metal. Should be fuel conscious, though its drivers won't be conscious for long.

5. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

I would drive one. My last three accidents were while my car was parked and I was not even near it. Gotta love SUV drivers who don't check their blind spots.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Christ above, if that thing hit me they'd be worse off!

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Looks like nothing more than the paint finish is protecting the driver :rolleyes:

8. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Haha that is hillarious, yet frightening at the same time.

If I was to do an SNL skit or something I would have it crash into the wall and just keep squishing until it was a wrinkled sheet of tin foil.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Does it come with an MP3 CD player, or better yet, iPod connectivity? If I'm going to die, I'd like to die to a kickass soundtrack.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And if the crash doesn't kill you, the lead paint will :D

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

At least it'll probably work more than a Peugeot.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Do you know what that car needs to really top it off? Asbestos.

13. mallocip macrumors newbie

Conspiracy theory

I think this may be a new and controversial population control measure instituted by the Chinese goverment covertly.

14. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Nothing says old school Spanish engineering like that video.
    The best part is they sold it off to VW:eek:

15. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Chinese car manufacturers have made lots of noise about bringing their cars to the US and Europe...They're going to need to work on their safety features a bit before they can do that methinks. :eek:

16. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

<pedants hat on>
    The Chery A15 is a Chinese version of the old Seat Toledo. That car was loosely based on the 1980's Fiat Strada, not the VW Golf, as VW took over Seat after the Toledo was developed.
    </ hat off>

Its a crap car, however you look at it.

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The firewall insulation could be asbestos and the bonnet pad and carpets could use it also. Lead-based paint to cover the plastic pretending to be metal. The emissions controls probably aren't very good either.

18. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I don't see how the Chinese plan to compete with Korean and US cars, much less Japanese and European cars, with cast-off designs like this one. even if they weren't death traps companies Proton have shown that reselling people their own old designs is not a recipe for success.

19. iGav macrumors G3

Unsurprising considering the age of the underlying design, it'd likely fair better on a head-on impact test (which it would've been designed to exceed) rather than an offset impact.

That said, it's not just Chinese cars that fold, according to a comment the Ford F150 in this test, was still on sale as late as 2004. :eek:

2001 Ford F150.

Car companies, or at least European/Japanese ones have made huge strides in vehicle safety since the introduction of NCAP, I remember 5th Gear doing a crash test between a current and a 10 year old Renault Espace... the difference in survivability is frightening considering the relatively small space of time between the designs.

20. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm very surpsrised to see an F150 fold up like that - a couple weeks ago I was in a 50mph crash in its big brother (the F350) and that vehicle, I can assure you, fared much better than the one in the video (though we were rear-ended). There's a lot of steel in those trucks, but they do not have the crumple zones passenger cars have - the frame takes the impact.

I'd hate to see what my old toyota hilux would look like in a similar crash. They may be very rugged but they don't look very crashworthy, and my truck didn't have airbags.

I'm glad they use the offset impact test by the way, it seems a much better approximation of real-world circumstances.

21. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

22. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I was just looking through lots of crash tests and found that one and was so shocked as i know someone who has that car. :eek:

23. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I love how the entire front of the car dissapears. I've never heard of a "Chery". (all the better!)

24. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

After receiving the crash test results, the decision has been made to change the car's name from "Chery" to "Lemon". :D

25. the vj macrumors 6502a

They are selling thos Chery in Caracas

And people are buying them because "they are cheaper" :s The problem is that to get a Toyota, Chevrolet or Ford there is a waiting list of 3 to 6 months despite you will have to pay some money under the table to get it faster.

The crash test mean nothing here, there are not highway patrol in Venezuela, not alcohol controls, no actual speed limit. So you will end up like the video no matter the car you are driving.