Don't buy this car...!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
That's taking crush zones a bit too far.

I suppose it's cheap because they eliminated all the metal and just painted the plastic to look like metal. Should be fuel conscious, though its drivers won't be conscious for long.

Royale w/cheese

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
I would drive one. My last three accidents were while my car was parked and I was not even near it. Gotta love SUV drivers who don't check their blind spots.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Looks like nothing more than the paint finish is protecting the driver :rolleyes:

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
Haha that is hillarious, yet frightening at the same time.

If I was to do an SNL skit or something I would have it crash into the wall and just keep squishing until it was a wrinkled sheet of tin foil.

mallocip

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2006
Conspiracy theory

I think this may be a new and controversial population control measure instituted by the Chinese goverment covertly.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Chinese car manufacturers have made lots of noise about bringing their cars to the US and Europe...They're going to need to work on their safety features a bit before they can do that methinks. :eek:

geese

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
London, UK
<pedants hat on>
The Chery A15 is a Chinese version of the old Seat Toledo. That car was loosely based on the 1980's Fiat Strada, not the VW Golf, as VW took over Seat after the Toledo was developed.
</ hat off>

Its a crap car, however you look at it.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I don't see how the Chinese plan to compete with Korean and US cars, much less Japanese and European cars, with cast-off designs like this one. even if they weren't death traps companies Proton have shown that reselling people their own old designs is not a recipe for success.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Unsurprising considering the age of the underlying design, it'd likely fair better on a head-on impact test (which it would've been designed to exceed) rather than an offset impact.

That said, it's not just Chinese cars that fold, according to a comment the Ford F150 in this test, was still on sale as late as 2004. :eek:

2001 Ford F150.

Car companies, or at least European/Japanese ones have made huge strides in vehicle safety since the introduction of NCAP, I remember 5th Gear doing a crash test between a current and a 10 year old Renault Espace... the difference in survivability is frightening considering the relatively small space of time between the designs.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I'm very surpsrised to see an F150 fold up like that - a couple weeks ago I was in a 50mph crash in its big brother (the F350) and that vehicle, I can assure you, fared much better than the one in the video (though we were rear-ended). There's a lot of steel in those trucks, but they do not have the crumple zones passenger cars have - the frame takes the impact.

I'd hate to see what my old toyota hilux would look like in a similar crash. They may be very rugged but they don't look very crashworthy, and my truck didn't have airbags.

I'm glad they use the offset impact test by the way, it seems a much better approximation of real-world circumstances.

Zwhaler

macrumors demi-god
Jun 10, 2006
I love how the entire front of the car dissapears. I've never heard of a "Chery". (all the better!)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors G5
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
After receiving the crash test results, the decision has been made to change the car's name from "Chery" to "Lemon". :D

the vj

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
They are selling thos Chery in Caracas

And people are buying them because "they are cheaper" :s The problem is that to get a Toyota, Chevrolet or Ford there is a waiting list of 3 to 6 months despite you will have to pay some money under the table to get it faster.

The crash test mean nothing here, there are not highway patrol in Venezuela, not alcohol controls, no actual speed limit. So you will end up like the video no matter the car you are driving.