"Don't Buy - Updates soon" - i3 on the 13" model?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blizeH, Nov 18, 2010.

1. blizeH macrumors 6502

Hi guys,

Just went to buy a new MBP from Amazon for a good price of £850 (saw Lion on Diggnation just now and it looked amazing!)

But I'm wondering, if I buy that, will I be kicking myself if they shortly release an i3 one? Also, if they upgrade to an i3 do you think the price will be increased too?

Currently struggling between deciding on a Dell with similar specs for about £450 or this, Lion is tipping me over the edge, but if the i3 will be £1k+ I probably won't bother :(

Thanks!

2. BenFL macrumors member

This is just my thinking, but I doubt we will see an i3 in a 13" due to heat issues. my 15" gets plenty warm with the added space to help dissapate heat.

IMO you'll see it updated when there is a major update, not just changing from C2D to i3.

Just like everyone says, If you need it, but it. If not, wait.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple is not going to be releasing an update to the MBP line this year. Perhaps first qtr 2011, but not this year. If you need one now, get it, if you wait, then wait.

4. FnuGk macrumors regular

the C2D, i3, i5 and i7 all have the same tdp if you add the northbridge so heat is not an issue. The reason why apple released the 13" with a c2d instead of of i3 / i5 is still because nvidia is not allowed to make any chipsets for the ix series

you wont see any upgrades to the 13" before 2011 with either AMD Lliano or Intel Sandy Bridge.

5. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Many thanks guys, think I'll hold out then, although a regular Macbook is tempting too....!

6. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

i3 is crippled crap

You can buy an i3 Dell, Sony or HP for $650- or less. The i3 is an intentionally crippled processor that cost Intel more because they had to set up a separate manufacturing process to cripple the i5/i7 architecture. Cripple it just to fit their monopolistic artificial price structure.

Why would anyone paying $1,200 for a laptop want such garbage in their machine?

i5 or don't even bother.
    --

7. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

It really is. I don't get why so many people wanted the i3... especially at the cost of graphics.

8. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, is it really that bad then? Does that mean I should just get the Core 2 Duo one, or does that mean I'm better off waiting a few months? Really not in a rush, won't even use it until Christmas time really (not moving into my new place until then, and no need for it where I am now)

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you can wait, you'll always be better off because the next revision will be faster, better, sexier. If you need one now, get one.

Personally, if I can get a good deal on black friday for a MBP, either at my local microcenter or bestbuy. I think microcenter typically offers 13" MBPs close to the 999 range and that might be further discounted then.

Otherwise, I may wait until apple updates its line

10. qawes macrumors regular

qawes

In the past, Apple did 3 revisions of their laptops per year, now they do just one? I mean, they will definately profit better in the holiday season with a fresh revised line of notebooks, along it's iDevices, IMO.

Agree with you absolutely. The Core2Duo runs cooler, gives better battery life and great graphics.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple has only once updated their MBP line in November and that was in 2002.
    [​IMG]

We're over halfway through the month of november, there's really nothing new they can add into the MBP to warrant a refresh (no major updates from intel) and why cram a new change into the pipeline that will not have a material effect on sales.

12. gremond macrumors newbie

If they were to release an i3 MBP it should probably be in February, that would give them time to include Sandy Bridge released in January 5th and the product cycle would be at 10 months.. Nvidia has announced that they will be no longer producing nforce chipsets por apple if i am not mistaken, does that imply that ATI cards are to be used in the next review?

13. qawes macrumors regular

qawes

Yes, and three times in October. And the iPods every September, for the past 5 years. Getting a fresh line-up in time for the holiday season it's a must.

I see Apple updating their Mac products once a year, just like their iOS devices.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not disagreeing with you, but now that we're closer to the end of November then the beginning, I don't think we'll see apple do anything. Plus if they were to refresh the MBP, what would they do, a minor speed bump? Hardly worth the effort when a new chip set coming down the pike

15. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to get a 13" MBP and I too was tempted by the price on Amazon. However, when I read that C2D was being discontinued this year, and saw that the 13" has the same processor (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo) as my 2 year old 15" MBP has then I realised this would be a really bad move. I want to get something more portable, but sticking with the same processor as my 2 year old MBP has is just ridiculous.

16. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Why not wait till next year for updates on the Mac line?

17. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

didn't they add the option for a speed bump in the 15 and 17 inches? i think thats all they will do now..

18. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

i dont think i3 will be in the 13" but i guarantee you that the mbp will get updated some how in Q1 2011

19. DaftZombie macrumors member

So if the new MBP won't have an i3, and the C2D is being discontinued...what do you think they'll put in it?

20. miata macrumors 6502

A speed bump and high resolution screen option would be pretty easy to pull off and would help sell more MPB 13s until a refresh in a few months.

21. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

you guys are forgetting that they also have been looking at AMD chips too because they dont conflict with the Nvidia processors...
    they might somehow tweak the MBP design to get the i3/5 and the Nvidia (who knows).. maybe in the 10 months after the current 04/2010 update they are working on a way to include it and maybe have it solved? who knows..

its either an i3/i5 (i5 doubt-able) or the AMD chips..

22. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

but either way they will have to change the processor cuz of the whole C2D being discontinued - so speed bump will come but a new processor too..

i hope they make this refresh super cool

23. Steve Mobs macrumors regular

Not really, Sandy Bridge shows a 2x improvement over previous on-die GPU's.

24. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

But it still seems to be inferior compared to 320M

25. Steve Mobs macrumors regular

Proof please, thanks.