Don't buy your new 9.7" iPad Pro from Amazon

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tpluth, Mar 18, 2016.

1. tpluth macrumors member

If you're an Apple TV 4 owner and Amazon Prime subscriber, you've probably noticed that Amazon continues to deny you access to your Prime Videos on Apple TV 4.

If you're planning on getting the new iPad Pro 9.7" (or iPad Air 3), I urge you to not buy it from Amazon, but instead send them an email letting them know you aren't buying it from them because of this lack of app support.

You have to go through the help link and navigate to Prime Support to get to a place to send an email, but perhaps if enough of us Apple TV 4 enthusiasts do so, we might get the message across to them.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

2. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Dude, I don't think you could buy from them if you wanted. They don't sell Apple products.
    3rd party sellers do, but I don't think boycotting them is going to hurt Amazon much.

3. tpluth thread starter macrumors member

They still make money off 3rd party sellers.

Are you saying we shouldn't make our displeasure known? What if these 3rd party sellers why they're selling fewer iPads? Think Amazon might consider that a problem?

4. off_piste macrumors 6502a

Should we also boycott Apple for lack of support on every other platform?

5. tpluth thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. Please do.

6. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I'm going to boycott Google for not supporting my TRS-80 Color Computer and Microsoft for not supporting my Altair 8800 anymore.

7. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

sounds counter intuitive to me. If I'm an amazon exec and apple customers are boycotting my company, how does tht give me incentive to support apple products. Knowing I have lot's of apple customers would make me more likely to support apple products.

8. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

You can make your displeasure known all you want but I think the horse has left the barn.

Amazon doesn't care one bit if you buy an iPad from Joe's iPhone Shack on their 3rd party sellers.
    It means peanuts to them.
    If they worried about Apple, they would be selling their products.

You are better saying to everyone to stop buying anything from Amazon. Good luck with that.

I guess it doesn't bother me as much because I can get Amazon Video from about 5 other places, including my iPad to my Apple TV with AirPlay.

9. family_guy macrumors newbie

...but the iPad does have Prime Videos so this makes no sense.

10. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

ask from apple why they want amazon to pay 30% of the revenue from in-app purchases.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If I can get a good deal from amazon, I will use them. I don't care about their lack of app support.

12. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I don't have an Apple TV 4 or Amazon Prime, so this doesn't really matter to me.

13. sparksd macrumors 6502a

Are you really surprised given their investment in Fire TV that they don't support a direct competitor in that market?

14. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Amazon doesn’t care... Get Over It.

I enjoy all the benefits of Prime, I also respect their business plan.

It's called choices :D

15. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Nothing to do with being competitors. Amazon just doesn't want to pay the 30% fee for in-app purchases.

16. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

If you're unhappy about Amazon Prime, Vudu, Sling TV, etc not being on Apple TV then you should be directing your glare towards Apple just as much as Amazon and the like.

17. h00ligan macrumors 68030

In confused and willing to support. But I don't it as I don't have a new appletv yet. I'm still evaluating as my need is low due to numerous other devices

I can get prime video
    On literally everything I own. Xbox one. Ps4 TiVo. Roku. I don't see them actively blocking prime video on the Apple TV, why would they when they allow it everywhere else. It's not like they're apple and only allowing their prime video
    On the fire branded stuff. So where's the conspiracy?

18. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Yet they manage to produce an app for iOS, surely if they were that bothered about fees they would remove that from the App Store.

It's not the 30% it's because the Apple TV is a direct competitor to the Fire TV. Yes I'm well aware Amazon makes tablets also, but the market share they have with them is so low compared to iPad that they have to support iOS. Things are a bit different when it comes to set top boxes.

Not to mention the hypocrisy as Amazon also take a 30% fee from developers for in app purchases made on their platform.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My perspective is that Amazon isn't "right" or taking a stand on corporate integrity or any of that.

I'm not here to help a multibillion dollar company (one that is the richest in the world) to help shame another multibillion dollar corporation with the loss of a few hundred dollars because they don't include an iOS app. Unlike Apple and Amazon, I don't have billions and so I'll work at finding the best deal I can and if that's Amazon, I'll buy it.

20. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Yeah..... But I wasn't commenting on where someone should or shouldn't buy things, just on the app situation.
    Hell I use Amazon practically every day, I'm with you, if the price is right, buy it.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I know you weren't but I was making a distinction between one company taking a stand against apple vs. how silly a boycott sounds. Both companies have more money then most third world nations, I'm not really interested in being part of a cause to justify one corporation over another but rather be a good steward of my limited funds :D

22. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I completely agree, the mere notion of boycotting, never mind how silly the reason, is ridiculous.

But even if we threw that out of the window, if every single reader of these forums boycotted Amazon, what would happen, diddly that's what. With the massive customer base they have, the majority of whom probably don't even know of these forums or the ridiculous spat between Amazon and Apple products. Amazon wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Oh, and if there is a boycott, count me out. I get lots of freebies thanks to Amazon so I'll just watch from the sidelines thank you :D

23. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

A few months ago on macrumors they mentioned that an amazon app was in the works. I am fine if Amazon doesn't want to sell certain apple products because it competes with theirs. I don't see any Kindle's on apple's website. I can access the amazon app on my xbox so I don't need it on the apple tv but I won't probably upgrade to the tv4 until they get a prime app.

24. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

I am also waiting for a Prime video app, hope it comes soon.

25. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

YOu could just unsub from the prime to teach amazon a lesson. Speak you mind with your lack of money to them. Or are you using other means to view your movies in the interim?

You also could have not gotten the ATV4 knowing this was lacking day 1. making purchases based on vaporware (promised or assumed it will be there one day) never a good thing.