don't check iPad at airport

Discussion in 'iPad' started by clickerman, Jul 26, 2010.

1. clickerman macrumors member

2. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

3. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

Looks like common sense is even more scarce then iPads.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Exactly; no sensible person checks electronics or valuables in their luggage. If you are smart you don't check your prescription meds either. You should always carry on your important stuff.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

...you mean checked luggage can be lost, stolen or pilfered?:confused: First time I've heard this.:D

6. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Seriously, what a lack of common sense. Keeping four iPads in your checked luggage is just asking for something bad to happen.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

So should I also not check my neat little stack of 100 $20 bills? :rolleyes:

8. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

No, it's perfectly safe to check in luggage containing large amounts of cash. I'll even help you carry it ;)

9. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

10. surferchick2 macrumors member

surferchick2

Surprised? It would have been a news story had they still had been in his bag. I feel sorry for him, but come on. It's common sense to not check valuables (incl jewelry, cash, meds) and it's stated on their ticket that the airlines won't be held liable for that reason....and international to china mind you?! If I had 4 ipads, they'd be in a carryon right by my feet with one eye open.

11. DifferentialApp macrumors regular

Yeah, it's crazy what some people take. I had a disposable camera in my checked baggage (it was a cheap 5 dollar one) and it was stolen! I don't really understand why someone would do that, but they did...

12. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

It's a shame, but theft does happen. A few years ago we had a TSA agent arrested at PDX, she was brazen enough to steal from the carry on x-ray area while screening passengers.

An airline I worked for also had an employee steal a passenger's bag, the employee walked thru the metal detector, then the passenger set it off and was delayed. The employee took both his work bag, and the passenger bag. The good thing was that he didn't know that they have cameras at the checkpoint, they rewinded it and had video of him taking the stuff.

I believe when the police did an investigation, he had all kinds of baggage in his house as well.

Sad really, but it is what it is.

13. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Uh, duh. Common sense should have prevailed here.

14. surferchick2 macrumors member

surferchick2

It shocks me more that airline/airport employees wouldn't know there are security cameras at security checkpoints at the airport, let alone TSA?! :confused: To me, that's as obvious as a camera at an ATM...but then again, Im sure a special few don't know that either. Wow.

15. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

iPads are a hot topic, and they sell really expansive outside the Official-selling countries, having 4 iPads in a bag is already crazy, don't even check it, and on your hand luggage it would be crazy too, don't travel with 4 iPads :)

16. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...hey at least "someone" is getting to use them... with the title of the thread I was expecting to see pictures of crushed, cracked, broken iPads from mangled, smashed checked bags:p

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Aside from the obvious, I don't understand why anyone would check an iPad. I mean it's the best device to pass time in the air ever -- music, video, magazines, books, word processor, and if you spring for WiFi, Internet too, and all in a light and tight package.

18. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

After the second time had luggage lost by airports, or whoever moves all the bags around I decided to never check unless I absolutely had to. My trusty duffle bag serves me so well.
    Id never check a computer or anything expensive anyways, I like to have my expensive toys in hand :) (and not someone elses)

19. btrav13 macrumors 6502

I worked with the airlines for over 5 years. Besides the potential for this to happen, have you ever watched how they load a plane? They just toss the bags around without a care, and pile stuff on top of stuff on top of stuff. Who wants 4 iPads at the bottom of a pile with a few hundred pounds on it for a trans-oceanic flight?!

20. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

What pisses me off about this is how accustomed we all have gotten to the fact that anything that is checked is fair game for the long fingers at the airport. Seriously, WTF? You pay good money for a ticket and you (plural) are okay with having your stuff nicked?

21. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

What annoys me is that some people are so used to the theft, they don't even criticise the thief any more, but blame the victim! :(

Maybe it's worse in some countries than others, I've never had a problem with things being stolen from my check-in luggage, and I've carried cameras & lenses, and other electronic equipment.

22. aneftp macrumors 601

It's very obvious why they checked in 4 ipads in luggage. To avoid Chinese import taxes if they are q Chinese national

I don't know what the tax rate is. But I am assuming it's high if you are importing a high value electronics item into China to resell or even distribute to your friends. You may get hit with a 20% tax.

Just think about US residents when we go abroad. Let's say you buy an expensive Rug from Turkey. Do you declare the rugs value at US customs. If it's more than $800 (which they are worth much more) you will have to pay taxes at customs.

So what do they recommend you do. The Turks all recommend US residents ship via UPS or FedEx to avoid taxes.

That's why this guy check in luggage to avoid taxes. If it were carry on, if he gets caught in China screening, he will get the iPad confiscated unless he declares the iPad as an import and than he would be subjected to a tax. Because the iPad is so easily recognized it's hard to hide like a piece of jewelry you can buy while abroad.

23. poloponies macrumors 68030

Wishing it to not happen isn't going to stop it. We all live in the world and that world has people of all kinds in it. You don't leave valuables on display inside your locked car, stores have all sorts of elaborate security in place - all because there are people around who will take advantage of a situation.

Nobody's "okay" with theft but you need to be aware that it happens regularly and you need to take measures to keep valuables safe.

24. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wow! The travesty in this!

25. glitch44 macrumors 65816

My friend's sister was bringing a broken laptop back for me to try to fix. She checked it because she had to carry on her work laptop. The broken one was stolen.

I've heard that sometimes the guys working the scanners mark bags somehow so their partners in baggage handling know which bags from which to steal.

I agree that it's annoying that we accept this as commonplace. It's a huge security risk. If we can't hire guys that won't steal a laptop, what else would they take money for? Smuggling drugs? Weapons? The TSA should be running stings constantly to catch these guys.