Don't click on the "iPhone 5 first exposure" link on Facebook

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Exhumed, May 15, 2011.

1. Exhumed macrumors member

Just a heads up guys. You might see a link on your facebook feed that says "iPhone 5 first exposure" with the comment "amazing" through "newspulse.info" You're probably all using Macs as I am, so I don't think you'll get a virus, but as soon as you click on it, it will repost to your wall with the same comment. I don't know what their game is (perhaps a more tech-savvy person could tell me) but resist the urge to click on it.

The link is accompanied by an image of a hilariously bad iPhone 5 mockup. It shows you the back of the handset, which is black and rectangular, with sharp edges and an awkwardly-placed, giant Apple logo, and a side view, which asserts that the iPhone 5 will actually be about the width of a folded piece of construction paper. Still, every rumor article is accompanied by a terrible mockup, so your first instinct will probably be to click on it. Do not. :D

I don't know how widespread this is, but there are a ton of Google results for it, and a similar link hit my feed the other day, "OMGGG Dad catches his daughter on webcam!" These things have been around for a while but they seem especially prevalent lately.

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Since we're talking about these now, I've always wondered what these scammers get out of doing this. Is it just views or something else?

3. ann713 macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing they get paid for view hits, advertisements and e-mail collection.

4. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

These have been around since I first began using FB noting new here.

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I've always wondered what kind of person clicks on links like that....

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

The same type of person that has a facebook account in the first place. :D