Don't current gen MacBook Airs already have a high resolution screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Smiller4128, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Smiller4128 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted

I'm currently debating on getting a MacBook air right now or waiting until the new MacBook pros or airs come out (hopefully this month) However the one thing I see a lot on this board is people wishing the update adds Retina display, but don't the 2011 MacBook Airs already have a screen superior to the current gen MacBook pros?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

MBA is a different aspect ratio for a start. More horizontal pixels, but less height than the 13" MBP.

4. firewood macrumors 604

Yes. At normal viewing distances the MBA 11 has an angular resolution (in line pairs per degree) about 83% of that of the iPhone 4, which is better than Retina quality resolution. Only if you stick your nose too close to the MBA display will it not seem like a high resolution display.

5. yanksrock100 macrumors 6502a

yanksrock100

They have a higher Res than the mbp, but they aren't retina, or very high resolutions...

The mbp just has a bad resolution to start with

6. bniu macrumors 6502a

the MBA is around 133 ppi. I'm guessing Retina for a MBA would be around 180ppi or so at a normal distance. Push it further back and 133ppi will seem Retina to you...

I have a hard time seeing pixels apart on my 17" MBP. I can easily see the pixels on my iPad 2, but not my MBP.

7. urkel, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

Its sad that "Seeing Pixels" became a buzz term. For the most part, regular users never complained about pixels or antialiasing of app icons but because Apple marketed the Retina screen so well then suddenly everyone is a hawk that pretends they can spot the tiniest jagged edge and it ruins their computer experience. All the while, they're still watching compressed cable on their HDTVs, streaming blocky netflix programs and looking at low res pictures.

I defnitely want higher res screens next gen but if it's not "retina" then I don't care because going that high will only end up draining the battery more with very little payoff.

8. warfed macrumors regular

The 13" MBA is the same aspect ratio as a MBP and has more horizontal and vertical pixel than the 13" MBP and the exact same resolution as the regular 15" MBP.

9. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

Really, what's the point of ultra-high Retina resolutions on a laptop? it's not necessary! it's necessary in an iPhone or iPad where you hold the device much closer to the eye, but in a laptop it's totally unnecessary.

I'm all for higher resolutions, but no need to "retina" stuff. Just give me a 1440x900 in the 11" MBA and 1600x1050 in the 13" MBA and I'm set.

10. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Text would be unreadable on those machines at those resolutions.