Don't Ditch Your Sat Nav Apps Just Yet

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Futhark, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

I've been using iOS 6 Beta since day one but as much as I love the new maps and the fact that you get free turn by turn integration I'd recommend you still keep your stand alone TomTom app or what ever else you use. Until there is perfect 3G coverage you could run into problems using maps. For example to test maps I decided to run my wife into work which is 28 miles away from home and out in the country side. After dropping her off I goto set maps to take me home but I had No Service nevermind 3G this doesn't allow maps to work as it can't pull in data so it was of no use to me. The stand alone can be several gb in size but that's because they have the maps preinstalled so it doesn't matter if you lack 3G. I'm sure you are all aware of this but there maybe some people out there thinking this is a perfect replacement for their Sat Nav apps.

2. DieAllianz macrumors member

nothing new. i mentioned it several times that navigation is useless without the option to save maps offline. Google and Microsoft do it the right way, apple needs two or more years to notice this.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1391035

Without new features in iOS6, no new iPhone and JellyBean with GoogleNow Android never looked more appealing

:(

3. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Its gonna be a mind blowing revision on ios 7 ;)

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

What you can do is program your route while on data then turn data off and it does cache the maps. Not great, I know, but better than nothing.

5. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

That's what I was wondering! Not perfect but a start

6. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I don't get why everyone say's google's is the best... it's not! they have ONLY JUST released offline, and it's not even a true offline... I drive from Manchester, UK to Germany regularly and google's version of offline maps is rubbish, it only does unto six large areas.... utter cr!p, at least on Nokia you can download regions, countries, cities etc. I had the whole of europe for free on my old N8.

If apple are going to do this, they need to go with that model, let users download what they need from iTunes or something.

Edit: This is why the built in, aren't yet ready to replace standalone TomTom or Navigon etc. Apps.

7. mnemonix macrumors regular

Well I've said before I don't understand what the excitement about turn-by-turn in iOS6 is all about. Anyone who actually needed it, already has it through a 3rd party app with offline maps so it does work properly. I guess the built-in one is just a feature for the kids (probably too young to drive) to play with and impress their friends :confused:

8. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I have a great nav factory head unit..it's nice to finally have turn by turn on my devices but it won't ever replace my existing navigation in the car anways

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Except that the first two betas don't work that way.
    The route is cached but not the maps.
    You get the blue line to follow and it looks like you'll continue to get the voice prompts but as soon as you lose data you lose the actual maps.

10. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

I have used the maps on iOS6 turn-by-turn and I think its decent. I have sprint unlimited 3g but those with att and verizon with limited downloads you must have a stand alone app

11. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

It'll be great for big city driving where I get cellular signal literally everywhere, but I guess I'll keep the TomTom for cross country driving. It's served me well so far without any issues. I just wish they'd offer downloadable maps or as is the case with Navigon, you can download specific areas.

12. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Google maps on iOS has always required a data connection. So, this is nothing new.

13. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

Yes but it wasn't offering turn by turn

14. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

Apple maps is "semi" offline maps. Once you browse a city at street level, it does cache all data. It works without data connection afterward.

15. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

No new iPhone? Who told you this?

16. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

They didn't release the new iPhone at the WWDC as 99% of us expected anyway. :rolleyes:

17. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I don't see how you can expect that. An October debut last year probably means another release in the same time period this year.

18. nw9 macrumors regular

This is why I have the TomTom app installed on my iPhone. It provides offline maps and doesn't use up my monthly data when using it if I have my data turned off.