Don't even know hot to install software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Angitop, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Angitop macrumors newbie

Hi, Im a total newbie, I know some basics but that is it.

I just purchased an early 2011 macbook and it came with Mavericks.

So, I want to install a program and i have NO IDEA HOW TO DO IT! Macs aren't like windows at all!

So, my co worker had this Avid program (we both work with avid but I used to it on pc and he on mac, we paid the license together) and we want to install it on my new mac, I copied the program on to a cd and don't know how to run installation on this mac. Same with Premiere.

I tried to Install today a Canon Software (from Canon´s cd) and a white window comes up and it says:

Last login: Thu Dec 5 01:33:10 on ttys001
    MacBook-Pro-de-Angitop:UIxEUInstaller.bundle MAC$

what is that?!!! It came up with another software I tried to install.

How do Macs work? i tried watching youtube videos but none talk about this basics....help!!!! thanks!

2. And macrumors 6502

And

Install by...

1) Getting something via app store, app store then installs for you

2) If you get an installer, you double click on it, it usually opens a window where you will see an icon of the program and an 'Applications' folder. Drag the program to the Applications folder. It will install.

Where you might be going wrong is you could be trying to install pc binaries, which will not work on a mac.

3. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

The white window pops up when you open .exe files such as windows installation files. What you will want to do is find the mac version of the installers and use them instead.

4. Angitop thread starter macrumors newbie

Pff!!!!! so complicated yet so simple!...Dayum!..Ill try that and get back!!! tHANKS GUYS!

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

When I first moved from windows I had similar problems with installs.

David Pogue has a great book "Switching to the Mac", which is written for windows users migrating to the Mac and explains the differences in installs, and all the other stuff. My wife used it when I convinced her to move to the Mac when her windows machine started crapping out.