Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Having had a MacBook Air Rev A for just over two years and now a 13-inch MacBook Pro I have made a number of observations:
  1. If you compare the SSD MacBook Air to the MacBook Pro, both will perform basic tasks such as web browsing, basic image editing, word processing and other everyday tasks equally (assuming you are within the 2GB of RAM).
  2. The MacBook Pro 13-inch is more powerful and this is noticeable when it comes to video editing, Aperture, games. Additionally, it doesn't overheat to the same extent which means less slowdowns.
  3. However, there are still tradeoffs - in reality, the MacBook Pro 13-inch is still frustratingly slow when it comes to high end tasks like bulk image processing, rendering video etc. Hence, it does not replace a desktop and the benefits it has over a MacBook Air are not as great as some would claim.

Therefore I come to the following conclusions:

1. The MacBook Air is ideal for those doing basic tasks (99% of the population) and those that can afford a separate desktop and don't need portable power.
  2. The MacBook Pro 13-inch is ideal for those that need portable power on a regular basis or can't afford a separate desktop.

Depending on what happens with the MacBook Air over the next six months, I will probably sell my MacBook Pro at the beginning of next year and replace it with a new MacBook Air (more portable) and a new iMac (more power). Give the MacBook Air 4GB RAM, larger SSD options, even a minor bump in speed and sort out the heat issues, and it will be the ideal portable for the bulk of the population (whether they realize it or not). Then again, both lines could merge for the ultimate compromise between power and size/weight. :)

99% of the population can do all they need on a netbook or tablet for much less cabbage than a MBA is or will be.

the MBA is a pointless product..even more so since the tablets have gotten much more capable, it is also a truly ridculous price.

AppleGoddess

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
I use my iPad for all my Internet use, if I buy one it will be used just to sync my iPad weekly.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
this might be a silly question but

can MBA owners use the wireless input devices (keyboard, magic mouse) etc. on an MBA?

If yes, that probably would negate the portability for me, but it would allow me to have a more powerful portable machine rather than an iPad. I like the idea of touch these days (given my arthritis) but the lack of sync, the apps I use (screenwriting and pixelmator) and the sticky internet surfing issues the iPad currently has doesn't make it the machine I'd like to ultimately replace my iphone and iMac.

After 11 years, I'm moving away from iMacs and wouldn't mind a more portable machine to cover all my bases.

The MBPs are nice machines but they are too heavy and too harsh on my wrist and my eyes (resolution).

Of all Apple's laptops I've always gravitated toward the MB and the Air at the store. So if I could get an Air at the MB price and have longer battery life, more RAM and the ability to use wireless input and/or touch I may consider it.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
99% of the population can do all they need on a netbook or tablet for much less cabbage than a MBA is or will be.

the MBA is a pointless product..even more so since the tablets have gotten much more capable, it is also a truly ridculous price.

If the MBA is a pointless product for you, then don't buy one. There are many of us who love our MBAs and will continue to use them and upgrade if the new offering(s) meet our needs.

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

theappleguy: Would you please define what you mean by "bullk image processing"?

My needs involve managing a photo collection that will grow into thousands of pictures (some 10 megapixel, some 3.2 megapixel from my phone... and maybe someday I'll have a camera taking "raw" files). I don't really "need" to edit them with cropping and maybe adjusting contrast of lightness/darkness.... but it would be nice if I could; so I don't know if Aperture would be way more than I need.

My one solid "need" is to be able to search & find pictures when assembling a lecture. I could break down say 10,000 photos into 5 category files and tag each one with key words... but then when searching for a keyword it would save time if I could have a choice to search one file, or all 5 files at once.

For lecturing I can live without PowerPoint or Keynote software... if It helps me live within the limits of a Rev. C or "D" Air, a simple "file" for one lecture of 50-150 photos could suffice.

(Perhaps, that plain "file" can be put on an SD card, so the laptop stays home when I lecture and I just take that card & card reader to the venue, to plug into their projector/TV which usually has a VGA connection, though I hear sometines it's a USB).

Since I don't care about game playing or video editing (video watching, yes), I am hoping to make an Air my sole writing/surfing computer.. supplemented by 2 backup units (one big unit that stays home, plus another very small one pocketable for backing up when on the move).

Thanks for any answers you can provide.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I agree fully with everything you have said. Furthermore, I don't think the OP can see that many actual MBA users have these types of uses... and most of us actual users have a different agenda and usage pattern than the OP has experienced or foreseen. For example, she sees her needs met by an MBP not an MBA, and she has admitted it fully...

Real world experience with actual MBA users tells me that the MBA is nothing like the iPad. Most of the iPad users I know don't care about the MBA, and most of the MBA users I know cannot stand the iPad. The MBA is for real users who want a full computing experience. I find the iPad to be a joke of a device, and I find the MBA to be the most incredible computer ever, bar none. However, I have different expectations than some... I don't claim to be everyone or have the same needs as everyone else.

I believe the MBP has given people this false belief of what should be possible of every Mac portable... the problem is the battery in the MBP weighs more than double the battery in the MBA. This means that the features need to be dropped or the weight and thickness of the battery needs to be increased to get the same battery experience. If we believe rumors we're seeing, it looks like Apple is prepared to cut features... like the coveted full-sized display and possibly keyboard too. However, I don't believe anything until I see SJ's present it on stage... I definitely am not going to get worried over what the OP predicts here... or fails to predict anything perhaps... other than disappointment and a big battery or compete loss of feature set.

Sure, people in general want a 10-hour battery. Heck, I want a 500-hour battery that runs on a drop of water (cold fusion), but that doesn't mean it's possible within the size constraints given the feature set I expect WITHIN THE CURRENT AND RELEVANT TECHNOLOGY FOR BATTERIES.

I know MBA users in several different industries (a fair amount are CEOs and executives of companies, but many more are engineers, accountants, students, professors, web designers, and even some average "prosumers"), and none of them complain about the battery... what they actually complain about is RAM, because they want to run Windows virtually as they need an app or two that is only available on a PC. They also complain about drive space, because amazingly they want to install two OSes on their MBA for the exact same reason I just mentioned. After that, they want the glass trackpads and higher resolution displays. Now, this is NOT a scientific study of say 1,000 users (required for a more scientific research analysis)... however, I believe, FROM MY EXPERIENCE AND ACQUAINTANCES WHO ACTUALLY OWN AND USE MBAS ON A DAILY BASIS, that this is fairly accurate. Are there outliers, yes, but most of these don't actually currently own an MBA... they just want to complain about it.

I think we need to wait and see exactly what we get before we need to declare things like the OP has declared here.

I thought the iPad was a joke until I started using it for ebooks and other documents. I was surprised, but i now prefer it to my Kindle (new Kindle versions) which I liked a lot.

The good thing about the ipad is it handles other tasks (albeit, not as well as a laptop). The Kindle is pretty much a one trick pony.

But I agree, as a laptop computer, the ipad is a joke.

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005

Not comfortably though - I know a lot of people put up with those tiny keyboards, but a full size keyboard is key for anyone regularly typing documents (personally I think that a screen smaller than 13-inch is counter productive as well). I was thinking more along the lines of the needs of 99% of the population without making massive sacrifices - can you imagine trying to organize and edit a large photo library on a netbook?

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

theappleguy: Would you please define what you mean by "bullk image processing"?

Not sure if bulk was the appropriate word or not, perhaps I should have said high volumes of photo editing - for example, importing thousands of photos or applying filters to lots of photos, especially if you were to import RAW. l wasn't saying the MacBook Pro does a terrible job, just that it is noticeable slower than an iMac for these sorts of things (which you would expect as it has a slower processor, slower hard drive etc) and hence if you could afford an iMac and MacBook Air that would be the best solution (otherwise a MacBook Pro would cover you, and quite possibly the next gen MacBook Air - reality is by the time you buy both may have been updated so any conclusion we come to at the moment is theoretical without knowing the specs)

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Trying to get serious work done on an 11" display is like wearing shoes that are too tight.

I agree with this. Even the 13 inch MBP is frustrating sometimes, much less the lower resolution screen of the Rev C MBA. Even with Spaces and Expose, window management just sucks. I can only imagine how much worse it would be with just 11 inches.

Maybe if the pixel density were higher.

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2010

appleguy: I'm wondering if the speed difference between a Rev. C / D Air would mattter to me, or how much?

I do have a backlog of maybe 2,000 old 35mm slides to digitize, which I will have to do in bits whenever I have a spare hour. Most of them need no cropping or anything, but 10% may need lightening or contrast adjustment. And each needs 3-8 keyword tags.

So... if I spent an hour doing this with a Rev. C 2.13 SSD Air, or the same hour doing it on a MacBook Pro 13", each w/ a big monitor (I can't afford to have a laptop plus a desktop)... %-wise, how much would my productivity in that hour be improved my the MBP? (I assume if I got a MBP it would be the SSD one).

My other typical pix mgmt. task will be that every time my WinMo phone gets 999 pictures (3.2 mpix), they need to be taken out of the phone and put into the computer. The same need will apply, for writing 3-8 tags on each, and again maybe 10% will need cropping or light/dark/contrast tweaking. So --- doing that to 999 pix on the Rev. C SSD Air, Vs. on the current MBP $1,199 model with SSD --- what % of minutes might be saved by using the MBP?

And does this sort of photo management of a collection that may swell to 10,000 suggest that I need to pay to upgrade the MBP's RAM too? The cost is so high, but I don't know enough about computers to be comfortable having non-apple party memory added.... so that, is it $350.? is an extra cost I can pay if I really need it (or if it helps whille playing YouTube), but otherwise I need to avoid spending

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
Trying to get serious work done on an 11" display is like wearing shoes that are too tight.

Agreed. And if Apple releases an Air with a small screen and puny processor all they're going to do is drive sales to the Vaio and other pc's. What is being rumored is a machine that's basically good for email and you can do that, web surf and review docs with an iPad, which is a lot more portable.

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Agreed. And if Apple releases an Air with a small screen and puny processor all they're going to do is drive sales to the Vaio and other pc's. What is being rumored is a machine that's basically good for email and you can do that, web surf and review docs with an iPad, which is a lot more portable.

I don't know. I think OSX has a lot of advantages that the iPad doesn't. You can can run Xcode on it. Steam has a LOT of casual games that would run well on the MBA, like Peggle and Altitude. You can write much, much more easily.

I think the upside to the iPad is reading documents. This semester, I have found the iPad to be an AMAZING sidekick for taking classes. First of all, three of my textbooks were available on Kindle, which was cheaper and a lot easier to bring to class. Many of my class readings are PDFs you have to download - and these are great to read in iBooks.

I guess I don't see the MBA and the iPad as competing for the same space.

Bri

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I thought the iPad was a joke until I started using it for ebooks and other documents. I was surprised, but i now prefer it to my Kindle (new Kindle versions) which I liked a lot.

The good thing about the ipad is it handles other tasks (albeit, not as well as a laptop). The Kindle is pretty much a one trick pony.

But I agree, as a laptop computer, the ipad is a joke.

I actually like my Nook better than my iPad as an ereader of books. However, a magazine would look much nicer on an iPad. I find the iPad exceptional as a content consumption too... but other than that I cannot pick it up. The display is beautiful for movies, but paying for every bit of content is pricey too.

I use my MBA as a real business tool. I thought I would enjoy the iPad for some of those tasks like maybe email or Internet browsing, but I have been disappointed with the iPad from day one for those types of uses. The bottom line is my iPhone fits in my pocket while the iPad is much more cumbersome to carry around. If I am going to do input, via a keyboard, the iPad is terribly slow typing on the touch screen, and I don't want to carry an extra bluetooth keyboard around... so the MBA wins their too.

I just love the MBA and the iPhone so much that I don't feel I need a third device. I really enjoy both more than any other products or services I buy or use on a daily basis. The MBA is shear perfection, and the iPhone fits in my pocket... between the two, I have everything covered.

I agree with this. Even the 13 inch MBP is frustrating sometimes, much less the lower resolution screen of the Rev C MBA. Even with Spaces and Expose, window management just sucks. I can only imagine how much worse it would be with just 11 inches.

Maybe if the pixel density were higher.

We need more workspace within the same defined space. A 1440 x 900 13.3" MBA would provide users with the same work area as is available on the 15.4" MBP yet require no additional weight, width, or thickness from the MBA.

I know some want lower resolution, but they can always go down to whatever they want. The Sony Z has full 1080p on its 13.3" display, so I don't believe it would be too much to expect Apple to release 1440 x 900 13" Mac displays.

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005

appleguy: I'm wondering if the speed difference between a Rev. C / D Air would mattter to me, or how much?

No one can really make a call on that at the moment because we simply don't know what Apple has planned for the MacBook Air. Both would do the job, but the key thing holding the MacBook Air back is heat under strain and the 2GB RAM limit... I wouldn't buy a MacBook Air for what you want to do in its current form. As for the new model, it may be exactly what you need - but as I said, what the new MacBook Air will be is pure speculation at this point.

darrellishere

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007

I prefer to do casual light editing on my MBA (1.6 over wifi). Its not a speedy process but I prefer to use it, as apposed sitting at my desk.
Maybe the next air will be better at it, assuming they retain the 13" screen and up the resolution to 1440, add the 320m and increase the processor speed whilst reducing cpu heat. Mine never gets too hot unless I'm exporting 100 images or something. I run it at full 1.6 too using coolbook. Let just say it gets the job done with NO frustrations!! The viewing angles are poor on this model though,(my pics look better on my iphone!) Lets hope we get IPS 1440, so we can justify the upgrade !!!

Its still my favourite mac ever! 2 years on! (And 3 Apple Care Repairs latter;) LOL

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
All, let's be practical about this... We have to remember that Apple is a business and is in to make profits. If they soup-up the MBA is will compete with the MB Pro line. If they go "too" small it will take away from the ipad sales, especially if they reduce the price. If they make a combination of the ipad technology and the MB Pro's it will take away from both line sales and defeat the purpose of the two...

As I have read from countless posts, it seems everyone is looking for a soup-up MBA that is really the MacBook Pro but thin, with more ports, fire-power etc.....

Come on...if you are in business it is pointless to kill your other lines just to create what is logical and makes sense, but again...you must remember that they are not doing what makes "sense" but, what makes a profit..and for a long period of time. They learned this mistake from Bill Gates.

Apple "could" make the superior laptop with a combination of technologies (ipad and MB Pro), and be done with it. but they will not, though it would make sense from an innovation stand point, but not from a share/profit point. They will probably not add too many features to the MBA because they want "you" to buy a MB Pro if you want more ports and fire-power.

You have to remember that Steve Jobs is older and not into principle anymore. Apple has "just" got out of the dark as far as a company and is now making the money that they should have been making from the beginning (that Microsoft won in the tech war). When Jobs was younger, he was into being the best, being the leader and being the one to "change the world" concerning technology, but he has learn from defeat and from the "dark-side" - meaning Microsoft.

If Steve Jobs was still in for principles, he would put out an ipad that is a computer and not limited to just surfing the web and reading e-books and movies etc.. "If" he was into changing the world again....he would put out an ipad that would replace the laptop and desktops. "He" could do it now but he knows that he can milk his customers to buy every version that he puts out and string us along every revision and updates just like Gates did with Microsoft and cloak it under the guise of technology constraints.

If I am being harsh, then examine the facts.

Technology is "here" that he could create an ipad that does everything that all of his product line does in their single units. He can now create "one" unit that is a micro-computer, phone, ipad, multiple ports, camera, high resolution screens, 128gig plus SSD, high memory, long battery life, liquid metal etc. and put an end to it all. But Apple makes their money leading everyone along with putting out little by little, just enough to keep you all buying and buying, learning from his "once" foe...Microsoft. This is the same with how the military does it, how Japan/China does it (sells the old technology to the American market with their old inferior technology/cell phones, TVs etc.), because we are gluttons and do not know any better. He knows he can put out every year just a little upgrade and everyone will buy it. He can finish this race that Microsoft and Google (Android) are trying to develop/catch-up by just putting out what "he" himself probably already "has" in his own home...

One ipad like unit that does everything that a computer/laptop/iphone/ipod can do...all in one device with a long life battery. Everything that everyone "wants". This is the goal right now and Apple "has" the technology to do this. But instead, they will milk us along until a competitor is able to put something "close"out, then they will put out another revision to keep us going along like dangling a carrot to the starving. This is how Gates (Vader) did it, now his "son" Jobs is doing after admitting defeat. He learned it from the best....

So...don't expect the world on Weds. Remember that they are a business and not out to "change the world" for the better...anymore. If they were, then they would put out the final product that they have "already" developed, but will wait a few years until they "have too" due to competition.

They lost the race with Gates, Microsoft is the master at revisions and not putting out a perfected product. That is how Microsoft makes their money...just but out enough and make you buy every year or every revision. All of you old-time Apple followers should know this...what they are now putting out is not the same as before...since "Gates" bought part of Apple....

Don't be disappointed on Weds....we have years before we will see what "we" are waiting for...unfortunately.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
All, let's be practical about this... We have to remember that Apple is a business and is in to make profits. If they soup-up the MBA is will compete with the MB Pro line. If they go "too" small it will take away from the ipad sales, especially if they reduce the price. If they make a combination of the ipad technology and the MB Pro's it will take away from both line sales and defeat the purpose of the two...

As I have read from countless posts, it seems everyone is looking for a soup-up MBA that is really the MacBook Pro but thin, with more ports, fire-power etc.....

Come on...if you are in business it is pointless to kill your other lines just to create what is logical and makes sense, but again...you must remember that they are not doing what makes "sense" but, what makes a profit..and for a long period of time. They learned this mistake from Bill Gates.

Apple "could" make the superior laptop with a combination of technologies (ipad and MB Pro), and be done with it. but they will not, though it would make sense from an innovation stand point, but not from a share/profit point. They will probably not add too many features to the MBA because they want "you" to buy a MB Pro if you want more ports and fire-power.

You have to remember that Steve Jobs is older and not into principle anymore. Apple has "just" got out of the dark as far as a company and is now making the money that they should have been making from the beginning (that Microsoft won in the tech war). When Jobs was younger, he was into being the best, being the leader and being the one to "change the world" concerning technology, but he has learn from defeat and from the "dark-side" - meaning Microsoft.

If Steve Jobs was still in for principles, he would put out an ipad that is a computer and not limited to just surfing the web and reading e-books and movies etc.. "If" he was into changing the world again....he would put out an ipad that would replace the laptop and desktops. "He" could do it now but he knows that he can milk his customers to buy every version that he puts out and string us along every revision and updates just like Gates did with Microsoft and cloak it under the guise of technology constraints.

Technology is "here" that he could create an ipad that does everything that all of his product line does in their single units. He can now create "one" unit that is a micro-computer, phone, ipad, multiple ports, camera, high resolution screens, 128gig plus SSD, high memory, long battery life, liquid metal etc. and put an end to it all. But Apple makes their money leading everyone along with putting out little by little, just enough to keep you all buying and buying, learning from his "once" foe...Microsoft. This is the same with how the military does it, how Japan/China does it (sells the old technology to the American market with their old inferior technology/cell phones, TVs etc.), because we are gluttons and do not know any better. He knows he can put out every year just a little upgrade and everyone will buy it. He can finish this race that Microsoft and Google (Android) are trying to develop/catch-up by just putting out what "he" himself probably already "has" in his own home...

One ipad like unit that does everything that a computer/laptop/iphone/ipod can do...all in one device with a long life battery. Everything that everyone "wants". This is the goal right now and Apple "has" the technology to do this. But instead, they will milk us along until a competitor is able to put something "close"out, then they will put out another revision to keep us going along like dangling a carrot to the starving. This is how Gates (Vader) did it, now his "son" Jobs is doing after admitting defeat. He learned it from the best....

So...don't expect the world on Weds. Remember that they are a business and not out to "change the world" for the better...anymore. If they were, then they would put out the final product that they have "already" developed, but will wait a few years until they "have too" due to competition.

They lost the race with Gates, Microsoft is the master at revisions and not putting out a perfected product. That is how Microsoft makes their money...just but out enough and make you buy every year or every revision. All of you old-time Apple followers should know this...what they are now putting out is not the same as before...since "Gates" bought part of Apple....

Don't be disappointed on Weds....we have years before we will see what "we" are waiting for...unfortunately.

Nice educational and relevant post... good one.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
I've had two Macbook Airs, a Rev A and a Rev C. They were great machines for the time. I'm really excited to see a Rev D come out, but I've become convinced it will not be the power machine I'm looking for.

Here is my three part argument.

1. Think about the market for the MBA.

Living here in Boston the only time I've seen Macbook Airs are with college students, always girls, that do not strike me as technical. It seems to me from this forum that the other part of the audience is older, travels a lot, doesn't play games, and primarily uses it for business tasks like word processing and spreadsheets. I don't think power user really figures into the market for the MBA.

2. The success of the iPad

I know many people here dislike the iPad, but it's hard to argue with its success. Long battery life and a high amount of portability is part of the reason for this. I think Apple will look at what makes the iPad successful, and will move these concepts to the MBA. I would expect a smaller screen to save weight and battery, a negligible upgrade to 4 gigs of RAM, and a glass trackpad.

3. Evolution, not revolution.

I think we all expect the look of the machine to change - which is why I don't think the internals will have been upgraded much. Look at this year's Mac Mini. It looks different, but internally it's pretty much the same. Apple did the same thing when they moved to the unibody style. It looked totally different, but the internals were essentially the same as the previous generation.

Apple will do the bare minimum they have to do to keep the MBA usable. They will not be revolutionizing it to compete with the Vaio Z, as much as I'd love to see it.

I've learned from owning the 13 inch Macbook that I'm willing to trade weight for the ability to do PS/IL work, have a battery that lasts all day, and play games. Also, I just cannot go back to the crappy MBA screen. I will always be a giant fan of the MBA, because I think it's a brilliant machine. But you can admire something without owning one. I think it's unlikely they'll deliver the droid I'm looking for.

Bri

Well said. Refreshing to see a realistic take on the subject. I've used a Rev B long enough to know the MBA can be an excellent work computer but the hinge, heat and battery were enough to sell it until a new Rev shows up. While 4gigs would be great, give me a new hinge, fix the heat issues and a glass trackpad and IMO Apple will finally have a viable MBA. 13" is a great size but I'd welcome an 11" option to replace the white MB as the wife has been looking to buy a new machine this winter and the more portable the better for her.

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2010

Bri: "all of you..." (expected case change). Well, not all. Who was that post-er who said - they might stockpile 2.13 chips to keep using them past 12.31.2010 until they find something better?
While improving the Air in other aspects which are not blocked by chip availability?

But if substantial change doesn't come to the 13" version this time, that doesn't predict the whole future beyond 2010. They may think in terms of -- a big externally noticable change to accomodate a big internal change... so the timing of all that may depend on the latter; the chipwars.

So the next steps for that 13" could be - small step now, and then a big step somewhere well into 2011.

And then in another year or three, when iOS is more closely grafted on top of Mac ("Lion" as the biggest cat, does sound like the end of the line for 10.* ...so then 11.0 is the hybrid O/S?) they introduce it on an Air which has had a substantial general redesign?

So far their biggest hits have been iOS products (ignoring the TV) which they put a serious overall design effort into. That works. If, product size-wise they expand the list of products they work hard on, to include the next-biggest one... that's the Air. But will that decision to, again, lead in ultraportable laptops get made? That is the question.

The Air may have been a victim of too much decision-making stinginess in the past... and pricing greed (why should a 2 door car cost more than a 4 door? There is no tech in it that's more costly or advanced than in the MBP, except SSDs whose price tag on MBPs doesn't appear in the physical store's tables, yet. But it could, so a more apples-to-apples comparison could be easier to make, instead if this falllacious "$1,799. Air vs. $1,199. MBP" comparison).... but with major effort, and a clean break from the past foibles of the Air... maybe even a new name to go with a big redesign......

.....a big effort in 2011-2012-2013 could turn the Air or post-Air into a whole other thing. A success.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
loby - "Gates bought part of Apple"

I've heard this a few times now, happened back in the 90's when Apple was broke right? What's the story behind that, Gates some some say or control as the rumors goes?

synp

macrumors member
May 22, 2001
Interesting post, but quite wrong.

The technology is not there to have the iPad be the ultimate computer. Check out reviews of the ExoPC and the Wetab. Both attemtps to make a do-everything slate. Both not really successful. And Apple does not have any magical powers. The work with the same technology as everyone else.

In a competitive market, cannibalization doesn't matter. Apple (and others) will do what it takes so that customers don't go to the competition. If Apple won't do it, then Sony and Lenovo and even Dell will.

Also, the MBA is quite expensive. I don't know where you get the idea that Apple would rather have you buy an MBP then an MBA. If anything, it's the MBA that is the premium product.

So no, Apple is not holding the MBA back to protect MBP sales. They're holding it back to keep it light, thin but with decent battery life.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009

Let's speak about being practical for a moment.

You make three assertions. First, that Apple is intentionally holding back the Macbook Air to protect the Macbook Pro. Second, that Apple is intentionally holding back the release of a "super tablet/notebook hybrid" (for lack of a better phrase). Third, that Steve Jobs has abandoned principle for financial gain.

Concerning your first assertion:

As has already been pointed out, all products get cannibalized. They will either get cannibalized by their own producer or a competitor. Apple has always rather cannibalized their own products than let a competitor accomplish this feat. I am certain that Apple would rather have consumers buy a $1799 Macbook Air than a $1199 13" Macbook Pro. Spec wise, the 13" Pro and the Air are more similar than they are different, so it is not beyond the realm of possibilities that Apple could release an Air that has specs closer to a 15" or 17" Pro if they wanted to. Another point about cannibalization and profit. If Apple did not want to cannibalize their own products, they would never have released the $1199 13" aluminum notebook with a backlit keyboard. Apple could have continued making polycarbonate machines and say that if you want Aluminum and a backlit keyboard you have to step up to a Macbook Air. More than any other reason, the 13" Macbook Pro is the reason why the Air has probably not done as well as it could.

Concerning your second assertion:

Let's for a second assume that Apple was inclined to produce an iPad that has multiple ports, telephony, higher resolution screens, a 128 GB SSD (not flash), more memory, long battery, and a liquid metal enclosure. I see two fundamental problems. First, how much would this cost? If people think that the Macbook Air, Mac Mini, and Cube never sold, I can't imagine how the market would respond to such a device in the current economic environment. Second, what software would it run? It has been well documented that Apple software engineers go from one project to another. Leopard was delayed due to the original iPhone. Sources have said that 10.7 has been delayed due to iOS 4. It's pretty clear that iOS still has a lot of work before it is a really really robust operating system. It is also pretty clear that Apple does not see OS X in its current iteration as being fully touch capable.

We will eventually have a device like what you described, but it does nobody any good to release it now. There isn't a good enough OS for it. The price isn't right. Finally, I doubt there would be good 3rd party software for it. The only way we get to that point is through iterations, and a $499 marketable iPad is most likely the quickest way to get there.

On your third assertion:

It would behoove you to watch the 2010 AllThingsD interview with Jobs if you havent. I would argue, that if anything, the man has become more principled in his age and with his recent experiences than less. I would also argue that this phenomenon is a double-edged sword for the company. It's very clear that he is someone with very strong opinions about what the future of computing should look like, what the design of future hardware should look like, and what sort of things Apple should stay away from for the sake of the company's image. If Jobs decided to abandon principles, we'd have dozens of variations in each product line. I imagine some people would be thrilled, but this isn't the case.

You know, you are probably right, the technology is there. The problem is that the technology is probably not market ready yet. To prove otherwise, you need to provide reasonably priced specs coupled with an acceptable OS, and I don't see that on the horizon.

cprich

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
I think this is all about product placement and timing. Jobs wasn't satisfied with the (r)evolution of MBA until recently, then held back until just before the holiday shopping period to put out this newest toy.

(Toy, of course, being my male way of saying technology.) :D

I have a friend who works with Adobe and has a lot of knowledge of where computers are placed within an organization. It's his belief (and it makes a lot of sense) that MBA is directly targeted at managers. It's a fully functioning computer, but ultra-portable. Enough to stay in touch, do the occasional touch up on an underling's work, but ultimately just a basic computer. It's the drones who get the MBP's etc to do the 'heavy lifting.'

And, to pull from the now closed thread, I think the battery time is less important in a machine like this. Not to say it doesn't need a bump in power, but as a tool directed at management, it's not the bottom line, so to speak. Any battery talk, IMHO, has to be the compromise within Apple. It's that aspect that the managing crew doesn't really care about as much (since they don't use their computers nearly as much in general) but other members of the purchasing public desire. A student, for instance, needs more than three hours to compose that deadline essay while sitting in the cafeteria.

Therefore, I suspect this is just an evolution of a great machine. Some enhancements, potentially even more portable, and a small bump in battery time. I believe it's critical, though, for Apple to continue to position this as the "manager" machine; it has to be capable *enough.* To expect anything extraordinary, I think, is unrealistic.

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2010

cprich: I think your term "enough" is very useful in this conversation.

The inventor (and licensed prof. enginner, and later in life, he became a licenced architect too) Bucky Fuller used to have a term "the bare maximum."

I think "enough" suggests a point I've made in these so chip-fucussed discussions -- that there is plenty of other areas in which there's room for "continuous improvement" in the Air. Without any GPU/CPU chip progress... and a distinctly separate (where the 11.6" comes in?) sub-Air might even be OK with a little (gasp) backsliding chipwise.

... even though my own needs may favor a more fully capable 13" Rev. D...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.