dont forget this is apple...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pieseller, May 6, 2008.

1. pieseller macrumors member

we all believe the 3g iPhone to be released next month, its no secret. But I dont think apple will announce the new iPhone without a nice surprise, something thats not expected. Anybody agree or have ideas what the extra element might be? All the focus on 3g has taken the thought away from what could come with the new phone.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Front camera with ability for video calls :D
    I really really hope so....

3. ben5959 macrumors regular

Its gonna be 3.5G with a front camera, GPS, and its going to see the future, thats just my guess!!!!!!

4. sowlerrmgh macrumors member

I really hope that the new iphone does NOT have a front camera.

Video calling is the biggest waste of time. I have had a phone with the ability to video call for the last 2 years and used it once. It's rubbish.

I would love to see gps

5. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I hope they put GPS on it and hopefully it comes with several new apps.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It comes in handy.
    I told this chick to jump in the shower and leave the video call on :D
    lol

7. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but that is just flat out stupid. Unless you want a phone w/ NO cameras (for business), I don't understand why you would specifically not want a front camera (and don't say price, because the price impact of a cheap VGA cam is insignificant). I'm sure Apple will make video chat/calling effortless and convenient.

8. jackjason macrumors regular

just saw this over aapl insider

Attached Files:

9. cjmal macrumors 6502

Agreed, i'd rather have GPS than a front camera. It's definitely more useful.

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

How many people are literally going to use video calling on a phone? I just don't see the need for it. I don't even use it on my Mac even though I can. If I need to see someone, I'm most likely not going to be on the move.

11. brockumpodness macrumors newbie

This is no where *near apple's doing...

There's no doubt that this is simply a case put on an iPod Touch... So if anyone is ignorant enough to think that it isn't anything different, think twice.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Soldiers overseas seeing their kids/wives/husbands.

Teens wanting to see their boy/girlfriends late at night.

The cases above where you look at faces aside, lately all my family and friends have moved to using video Skype on various laptops.

We got sold on it last Christmas in Hawaii, when one person carried their MacBook outside to show friends in Australia what our place / beach looked like... and another did the same for family in Florida.

Seems like when you have the capability widespread, then we'll find uses for it.

Besides, people my age were promised video calling back at the '64 World's Fair !

13. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

And we were promised jet packs! Where's our jet packs! (first time I went to Disneyland around 1969-70 they had a guy flying around the Matterhorn in a jet pack and ever since, I've wanted one.)

I agree with kdarling and these are all very good points. It's evident that many people will want Video phone capabilities; my girlfriend is going to Europe for the summer and now I won't be able to make it, so being able to "see" her while on the phone with her whenever she calls (and where ever I'm at) will be very nice.

And from what I understand, Video phones are almost a necessity in Japan, so if this next iPhone will be the first to launch over there, they will really want it to have that capability.

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Those are all available on laptops, as you mention. I just don't see them being all that important on a phone. There's not a good way to change the angle of the camera to adjust, and the screen is probably too small for both video streams unless you use PIP.

It could be on there, but if the price remains the same, I don't see that as an included feature (especially if GPS is added).

15. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Oh shoot, you're right. I forgot to stress the importance of size.

In the example of showing others our surroundings, it was awkward to see people carrying their laptops outside and around the beach. A handheld phone would've been much nicer to use.

Ditto if out camping, or laying in bed (think how often you surf the web on your iPhone that way), or sitting on the porch, or laying on the beach, or anywhere else that a laptop is just too big.

Perhaps not everyone would use video, just as not everyone uses MMS or SMS or even the camera. But it's nice to have the option, and if enough people have it, it'll become seen as essential.

16. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

I would like to see the Home button not be a physical button anymore. I do not have an iPhone, but the Home button on my iPod Touch recently broke and had to be sent in for repair.

I am sure there is a way to have the Home button be like a mini round touch screen that is always on.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Thanks for that link. I'd almost forgotten about it.

Good reading, especially right now. And so true, too!

18. cjmal macrumors 6502

I think you mis-understood my post. I said that i'd rather have GPS than a camera and that GPS IS MORE USEFUL THAN A CAMERA.

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I probably confused you with my post because I was agreeing with you. GPS is infinitely more useful than a camera on the front of the phone. I use my little GPS unit almost every day, but I only use the existing camera about once a week.

20. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

I don't see why everybody thinks that it has to be this OR that. Have you not seen other smartphones? The Diamond has 3G, GPS, front cam, and 3.2 MP back cam. These aren't far-fetched AT ALL. It is just whether or not Apple will implement them.