Don't forget to clean your Macbooks!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexmarchuk, Jan 22, 2015.

1. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

It started with my mid-2012 rMBP powering down whenever it switched to the 650M and sometimes randomly causing kernel panics. From grey screen that has centered messages about your computer about to shut down, etc. To bootups that wouldn't boot unless I held down power for a longer time.

Then I tried resetting everything I could find, SMC, etc. Shill shut off. I uninstalled gfxCardStatus to see if it would resolve the issue, nope. Tried settings to disable automatic switching, nope.

Ran into this discussion on Apple's website: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5300005

Lots of GPU panics, same message readouts on our 10,1 Macbooks. I still kept searching though and it finally made sense. My fans would wind up having iTunes open or some other menial task. I read somewhere else about maybe the computer wasn't getting the right temperature from the GPU in order to cool it - apparently the GPU is shut down when it reaches a critical temperature.

Ordered the Pentalobe screwdrivers and opened it up today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ran numerous games and rendering programs on the dPU, fans aren't even screaming. Before today it would have caused a kernel panic in less than a minute - the screen would flash and turn off.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In what kind of environment do you run your MBP? That looks almost like sawdust! I had occasion to open my Early 2008 MBP last year after 5 years of use and the dust inside was barely perceptible.

3. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

Um... Dude? I think you might want to vacuum your apartment and clean the dust off the surfaces more often if you get that amount of crap collecting inside of your machine. Mind you, my machines aren't exactly sparkly clean on the inside when I give them my annual cleaning after pollen season ends (it's pretty much a necessity when you have lots of pollinating trees close to the window), but that's pretty extreme.

Last time I saw something like that was when I was cleaning out a desktop that sat on the floor (i.e it did double duty a low power vacuum cleaner) and hadn't gotten a cleaning in at least 5 years by that point.

4. alexmarchuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

Well for almost three years it has been through a college dorm environment, on the go everywhere I've always kept the machine clean but didn't realize how much dust was getting in.

5. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

There's got to be more to this. I can't imagine under normal use your machine would get that dusty on the inside.

6. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

7. technosix macrumors 6502a

My MacBooks have served me very well delivering terrific service life. I keep them well maintained and clean on a regular basis.

It's very easy.

I carefully place it down on the ground, hose it off and let it air dry... :)

8. alexmarchuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

No, no smoking at home or where I use the notebook. Still going strong though, no crashes.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow, that's a lot of debris in the computer - I'm afraid to look at what mine has. :eek:

10. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

This doesn't surprise me. Computers are dust Magnets.

11. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Opened up my MBP last week after seeing similar temp spikes. I found a huge chunk of dust in the fan outtake clogging a good third of the vent. I also used compressed air in all the hard to get places. Now my idle temps are about 10C less!

It should be noted, here in Cairo the 'dust' is more like soot due to the pollution, it's very fine and sticks to everything, not good for electronics.

Who knew dust was a MBP worst enemy? :rolleyes:

12. alexmarchuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

Yeah, both fan outtakes had chunks of debris which I think contributed the most to the temp spikes.

13. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Yeah, this is not bad at all. I have over 400 computers that live out in service drives and shops in car dealerships. They get really gunked up, especially the laptops that we use to program cars.
    Agree with TS, its a good idea to tear them apart and clean them now and again.

14. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

This post was a good reminder for me to clean my computers, thanks.