Dont forget to screen protect your iPhone3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zainjetha, Jul 12, 2008.

1. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

hi guys

just a quick reminder to put screen protectors on your new iPhone3g to prevent horrible smudges or any scratches appearing..

thanks

2. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

Why? I had the original iPhone in my pocket for a full year since the day it went on sale, no case, no screen protector, no nothing, and the screen is in perfect condition. Infact the entire phone is is perfect condition.

It's just my opinion of course but putting a case or protector on the phone is a travesty. It's beautiful the way it was built, and putting a case on it ruins the design. The screen protector is just not necessary either.

3. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

Why? Smudges? Clean your hands! Scratches? have you seen the 'scratch the crap out of the glass of the iPhone tests?

4. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

And some :apple:iMace just incase you get lynched coming home from the Apple store :D

5. russ973 macrumors newbie

huh?

Screen is about the ONLY part that you don't have to worry about. And most screen protectors will pick up smudges too.

6. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

From the PC World tests there were run on the new iPhone, it's obvious the phone can withstand abuse. If you're careful with your phone then most likely you don't really need anything. But some people who are a bit more cavalier with their phone would probably be wise to get something for it.

I have BodyGuardz on the way for mine. I may just go with the backplate cover and skip the screen cover. We'll see.

My current phone is in pretty good shape despite being abused for a year and a half...just slight scratches on the screen and some wear on the paint of the case. Most decent quality phones will stand up to abuse. I want to go the extra mile for the iPhone though. It's a beautiful phone...and no way do I want to see it get the same wear my current phone has.

7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The only scratch on my screen is from when I was trying to get dust off the sticky side of a screen cover. Yes, irony. So considering I could never get it clean, I just said F it!!!

As far as cases, yeah, they'll protect it. But I'm just gonna deal without. I've had this thing 3 months and the only scratches on the case were from when it fell out of my pocket and into the guts of a recliner.

8. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

I was planning on putting IS on the front and back but after talking to some people the IS front cover seems to be not worth putting on because of the feel and visible texture?
    So if I just put IS on the back I think I would still like something for the screen just in case. any recommendations?

9. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

I only put a case on if I'm doing work outside just in case I smack my pocket so nothing happens. Otherwise normal everyday use it's naked.

10. mkitchen macrumors member

I don't want to be anti-case.. but after holding this thing there is no way i'm putting a case on it. It would ruin the feel in the hand. No screen protector either - i'm going a-natural.

11. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

just get a full body skin from providers like InvisibleShield or BodyGuardz, or Best Skins Ever...

You don't even notice they're there, and you can't tell unless you actually are looking. Doesn't add bulk or mask the sexiness, just protects it from scratches ( adds a bit more grip I've found )

12. contempt macrumors member

I remember with the original iPhone, I scratched the screen on the 3rd day. Absolutely pissed. Then I got a screen protector. So with the 3G, I wasn't going to make the same mistake again. Put a protector on right away.

But also placed an order for the InvisibleShield. No decent cases out there and figure why not show off the back.

13. cualexander macrumors 6502a

Yeah I'm definitely getting a screen protector if I get the 3G. I have a small scratch in the center of my 2.5 G iphone and although its not extremely annoying all the time, sometimes it just irks the crap out of me.

14. bit_bucket macrumors regular

bit_bucket

Good lord do you guys have ears made of diamonds? The only way this screen scratches is if it comes in contact with a diamond. So along with this bogus reccomendation to drum up sales for unecessarry screen protectors, can I also suggest bullet proofing for Kevlar vests or even weather proofing for gortex material. For the rest of you who know better go on about your business and don't get suckered into this "snake oil".

15. interesting macrumors member

People DO wear diamond earrings and diamond rings as well as other diamond jewelry. And, despite what you may think glass is vulnerable to things other than diamonds. Chemicals, some metal alloys, hard carbon, other glass, etc. It can be etched, and chipped as well. Come on guy.

16. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

I had my original iphone for a year with no protective cover on it and there isn't a single scratch on it.

I also don't have plastic covers on my furniture. Call me a rebel.

17. Veil macrumors member

The back of the black iPhone 3G seems to get cratched pretty easily, if I may believe some of the pictures that are posted on the web. Maybe a slide-in case may provide some ease of mind when it's in your pocket — along with some keys e.g.