Don't Get Red and Yellow Circles

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Resist, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

Why I would I use one over the other, the Red X to close a window or the Yellow - to minimize a window? With both functions the program is still running the background, so I don't get the differences other than with using the Red X the application won't be on the dock. Why is one used more over the other, when they basically do the same thing?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The red button (traffic light) closes the window (including the tabs in it if it is a browser), the yellow button minimises the window. Two entirely different behaviours.

While a window is minimised, it still has contents in the RAM that take priority, while a closed window still has its contents in the RAM, but it will get purged once the RAM is needed.

Or are you talking about something else?

Maybe this can shed some light into the traffic: http://developer.apple.com/library/...ppleHIGuidelines/XHIGWindows/XHIGWindows.html

3. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

That's the information I didn't know, thanks!

Can you give me an example in which it would be more preferable to use one over the other?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Hmm, let's say you have a Safari window with twelvety tabs open, but don't want to close the window, as you want to take a look at the tabs some time later. If you don't want to bookmark all twelvety tabs, and don't want ot have that window visible, minimising is an option.

As I don't use minimise that often, once or twice per month, I don't really know of a better example. I either leave my windows open or close them. As I am a heavy user of Exposé & Spaces (twelve Spaces) I can manage without minimising windows.

5. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

So in your example, if you were to close the window all the tabs open then the tabs would be lost? Sorry for sounding like an idiot, I am new to the Mac OS. I should probably pickup a Mac OS X for Dummies book. :)

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, as the tabs reside in the window and not the other way around. It is the same on Windows and applications using tabs.

Most programs warn you though before closing a window with more than one tab.

Also have a look at the following links to learn more about Mac OS X: