Dont get too excited, 1.1.3 Jailbreak requires a HARDWARE MOD

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by db2431, Jan 20, 2008.

1. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I wasn't getting excited as with the new apps I'm actually content on my iPod touch. Besides, no point fiddling now with the SDK coming out i under a month and presumably another update then.

2. Bitter macrumors member

3. kbag87 macrumors newbie

that is the stupidest **** i have ever heard...

why would a SOFTWARE update require a HARDWARE mod?!?!?!

4. gardnerv macrumors member

gardnerv

It is not at all stupid, possibly by modifying the hardware they are putting the ipod into a sort of service mode like what you have to do with the PSP slim. Now what will be the real challenge and future of Ipod Touch hacking will be custom firmwares in my opinion just like what has happened with the PSP. They allow access to every homebrew feature you could want and the new updates from apple.

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

If you think that it is unacceptable, maybe you should go find a better way to do it. Face it, hacking is difficult. These people are trying to help you. Nobody requires them to do it for free.

6. Bitter macrumors member

Why is this topic even being argued? 1.1.3 has been jailbroken by touchdev team and they said themselves that it does NOT require hardware modification to do it, so why bother arguing about this? This is a waste of a discussion.

Bitter.

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

what are you talking about? putting a psp slim or fat into service mode NEVER required a hardware mod

8. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Well is the Pandora battery considered software?

9. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

A hardware mod ?!! Now that's not what a girl can do :( .

But i'll go with bitter on this part. If the team has confirmed there's no hardware mod needed, it is so.

God bless Heather.

10. gardnerv macrumors member

gardnerv

No, i did not have a regular PSP so i had to resolder the 6th joint to ground on my battery to use it in service mode. That my freind, is a hardware mod.

11. gardnerv macrumors member

gardnerv

if on a PC, use iphuc and the WTF...... something file. search around. If on a mac like me you can either boot camp into windows like i did or develop some new downgrade method. I dont know if any are available right now.

12. mowlavie91 macrumors newbie

Bs

Thatz bs, it does not require no hardware mod, no, itz an ipod touch, not a ipod nano or some sort, come on people, think.:eek:

13. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

remember the very first iphone jailbreak was via a hardware mod

some kid in jersey figured out you could get root access with bypassing a resistor(or something else very technical)

14. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Guess which was the first unlocking method?

15. Pippen Man macrumors regular

The iPhone's mod was purely to get it on T-Mobile, thus having to screw around with it's whatever inside. For a iPod touch Jailbreak, its all software related.

Besides, why would someone release a way to Jailbreak an iPod touch when the only way requires a hardware mod, whose really going to sacrifice their baby for this?;)

16. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

A lot of people will open up their iPods to jailbreak them. At least the ones with enough skill to try. but even so, if it is a hardware mod, then they shouldn't release it because of that according to your logic? :rolleyes:

17. Pippen Man macrumors regular

I enjoy Jailbreaking my iPod a lot. It's sort of an adventure for me. But, I know if I mess up with a .plist or an app, I can simply restore and retry. But, with a hardware mod, not only is your warrenty TRULY voided (because people can restore before they bring it in to an Apple Store) but you are really screwing around with your device. A simple push to far, or a screw that wasn't suppose to be unscrewed can send your $300+ investment away.

Yeah, you can try to fix it, but it'll make you now want to try again. Yeah, they could release it, but why not wait until they can make another "Jailbreakme.com" before they give directions for people to mess up their iPod touches real bad. That's my opinion, if its worth anything.;)

18. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I understand, I mean I would not have the nuts to open up my brand new device, but there are people who do, and the point I was making is that it is unfair t not realease the exploit just becuase it'll be out of hands for the majority. But either way, I truly believe a simpler method will come out, though jailbreakme.com will not work again:(

19. Heather1 macrumors regular

Heather1

is it official now or pretty much clear that jailbreakme.com will not work again ?!! :(

20. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yes it is software, it alters something in the battery no need to open the battery up just stick the psp on run a program press a button it alters the battery so that next time it is turned on you go straight to service mode

then you never read how to do the pandora battery trick then ;) trust me I have done about 5 pandora batterys never needed to hardware mod a thing

21. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

As far as I know yes. it relied on an exploit present in Safari, which Apple patched...

22. gardnerv macrumors member

gardnerv

Have you done these mods with a fat PSP? I dont know if you can right now but when i was into PSP modding the only option for making a pandora battery without a fat PSP was to resolder the 6th joint on the big chip on the mainboard to ground. If it has changed and you can do it without a fat psp could you PM me a link? i would be very interested. Thanks

23. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

well as long as I've known its been software based and I have a fat psp and worked fine, pm'd a link