Don't get WA logic

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ezio007, Jun 27, 2014.

1. ezio007 macrumors member

I mean.. They actually have an app which doesn't work on IOS8.. They have betas which does work..
    Why they don't just release the new version for everyone and not just beta testers? Where's the point?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd hazard a guess and say that iOS8 isn't out. Its a developer preview so developers can work on their apps. I don't even think Apple is accepting apps that use iOS8's APIs yet.

3. dof250 macrumors regular

Well.. WA doesn't really care about its users. The users have been asking millions of time for a desktop version. They just ignore them..

4. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

5. dof250 macrumors regular

pm

6. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Is the WhatsApp beta that works built with the iOS 8 beta SDK or is it just changes built with the existing SDK that make it compatible with iOS 8?

7. dof250 macrumors regular

For what i can see its not using any iOS8 SDK's. Its just fixing the "ff fi" bug that is present on iOS8 but not in iOS7. And also some new improvements to whatsapp like voip calling

8. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

If they don't use iOS 8 SDK then they are OK to release it. I remember Natwest Bank app in the UK had a problem during iOS 7 beta testing period, so we posted that on their Facebook and twitter with in couple of weeks they released an update stating minor bug fixes ;) which made the app work on iOS 7 betas. So I guess the situation is similar to this with WA.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It is, and its great they fixed their app but its unrealistic to expect every developer to release a bug fix to get the developer preview to work, when many of them are probably busy doing their fit/gap analysis, updating their apps for iOS8

10. ezio007 thread starter macrumors member

there are minor companies who release more frequent updates in order to make every user happy.. I'm surprised how a multi bilioner company cannot do the same.

11. navodwickra macrumors 6502

navodwickra

You are correct we can't force them to release an update just to work with betas, it is completely up to them.

12. shandyman Suspended

Exactly. Some people don't understand that it's just not feasible.

Also, just because some people haven't seen a bug in the WA beta, doesn't mean that there isn't any, or that it's ready to be released.

13. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

They delayed the iOS 7 update five months (since the first beta)... They suck as developers and customer attention. Expect an update in time for the iPhone 6S.

14. ProphetX macrumors 6502

WA does and has released updates. To ITS beta testers! If you can't comprehend this. Go and get yourself a moto razor. Tech of today is not for you.

15. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Majority and stability matter. IOS 7 users hold a bigger chunk plus each IOS 8 beta breaks something or makes some app magically work again. Elevate started working in beta 3 without an update. It's almost pointless to try and make it work on the beta right now.

16. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

If I understand this correctly, developers are not allowed to make specific accommodations for beta versions of iOS in App Store apps. However, it is possible in some cases to introduce changes that just so happen to fix bugs caused by using the app on beta versions of iOS.

Without knowing what kind of things are different in the WA beta, it's hard to predict whether or not they could apply some of those fixes in such a way that it could get through Apple's approval process.

And anyways, if you're going to install an iOS beta, it shouldn't be too much more work to get the WhatsApp beta on your phone. In the end, WA shouldn't be obligated to serve those who choose to use an iOS beta.

17. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

Correct me if I am wrong, but is this situation not what the TestFlight feature intends to thwart? From what I understood, it was meant for developers to release beta versions for people to test...by invite, I guess.

18. shandyman Suspended

Whatsapp already do betas for people to test, but it's closed to the public.

19. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Apple doesn't generally allow the release of apps to the public for supporting a non public iOS release.

----------

You are assuming it's their fault. As I said Apple doesn't generally allow the release of app updates before the iOS version is public. So if you are going to snipe at someone Apple and their long standing policies would be the more logical target.

If this app is that important to you then go back to iOS 7. Bugs with apps are exactly why Apple says not to use the betas on your daily driver devices.

----------

yes. but that still isn't a general release. And it appears to go through the app store to a degree and thus they might have only activated for the registered developer accounts.

20. ezio007 thread starter macrumors member

There are other apps with a lot of bugs on iOS8 release but the updates (even with 2nd beta) let ios8 users capable to work with them! Maybe not fully compatible but working (example myfitnesspal)!
    Don't get why whatsapp should be different

21. afsnyder macrumors 65816

That could just have been a coincidence. Compatibility will change as the betas progress. Your app may not work anymore come beta 4.

22. kerrikins macrumors 65816

One would hope that Facebook buying them would mean faster updates. That said, I switched to Viber, which happens to have a desktop client :) (At least for Mac it does...) I like it better than Viber, tbh.

23. shandyman Suspended

Updates to apps before iOS 8 comes out are dependent on the updates only being done with code for iOS 7 and before. Some updates to apps fix iOS 8 beta issues, some break apps, as iOS 8 is an unfinished product. As said before, the whatsapp update that's in beta may be using some iOS 8 code, therefore Apple will not approve it in the App Store until the ask for iOS compatible apps to be submitted. (Usually around GM).

Also again, beta users are aware apps will be broken on an iOS beta and therefore app updates for apps that break in a beta are not a priority.