Don't have permission but have Read/Write access?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ayeying, Mar 2, 2010.

1. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I'm trying to copy over an ISO file (legit one mind you) and OSX is telling me that I cannot move the file because I don't have permissions for it. So I do the usual, get info, check the permissions box, but the funny thing is, I do have Read and Write access but it still pops up that error.

I'm stumped on how to fix this... any ideas?

Here's a screenshot to clarify what I'm talking about.

Attached Files:

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Are you transferring this from one disk drive to another?
    That is what it appears to be from the images

How are they formatted?
    Is the disk drive you are copying from formatted as FAT32?
    Do you share the disk with Windows?

If so, it looks like the file exceeds the 4 GB limit for FAT32 transfers

3. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

It was originally suppose to be cloning but Carbon Copy Cloner threw up errors for 2 ISO files. Both of them have the same error.

The drives are HFS+ Journaled.

The drive isn't shared at all. It was running CCC overnight but in the morning it just threw up errors saying it cannot access those 2 ISO files.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Get Info on the external. Is the "Ignore ownership on this volume" checked or not? Play around with option and see what happens?

5. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

Tried playing around with that setting and it didn't work. The problem is that it cannot read the file off the internal drive apparently. I can access it but I just can't copy/move the file.

Here's another screenshot. Any other ideas? I have several files, mostly in temp, but some even in the virtual machines that throws up errors.

Attached Files:

6. Steve-M macrumors regular

If you make a ISO of a copy protected DVD, OS X will not allow you to burn it to disk. Perhaps for the same reason, your not being allowed to copy the ISO to another disk. Try mounting the ISO file in OS X, then open DVD Player. If you get the same error in DVD Player, it's the copy protection that is causing the problem.

7. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

It's not just an ISO that can't be copied over. Even a self made PDF file of a scanned cookbook can't be copied over either.

I can copy all of these files off an another 500GB external hard drive. It seems there I can copy all the stuff without fail but even with the same files, it won't copy off from the internal hard drive to another drive.

I think it's a finder bug.

8. Steve-M macrumors regular

Have you tried repairing permissions? GUIDE: Zap PRAM, Repair Permissions, & run FSCK

9. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

I've repaired permissions, cleaned cache, rebuild spotlight, repaired disk, everything in Onyx and Xupport... so far, nothing's worked...

I did find a post on the Apple Discussion boards that talks about reverting Finder back to 10.6. It seems promising but I don't want to try any drastic measures yet.

10. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

What do these files look like when listed with Terminal? (ls -alOe@b)
    What do the error messages look like when copied with Terminal? (cp -Rv)

Other things to try might be opening in a hex editor and saving elsewhere... or zipping into an archive.