Don't Honk at old Ladies.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
It's a fake. Airbags deploy instantaneously and there's usually white powder that flies about.

Sorry for spoiling all the fun.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Lacero said:
It's a fake. Airbags deploy instantaneously and there's usually white powder that flies about.

Sorry for spoiling all the fun.
It deployed as soon as she hit his bumper with her bag. Either way, pretty funny.

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
mad jew said:
Plus an old lady wouldn't be strong enough to deploy an airbag. You need to be driving about 40km/h before they can get enough force to be activated.

Still, it's a funny link. :D
It's lower in the States cause they don't wear seatbelts. I think it's somewhere around 15km/h.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Chundles said:
It's lower in the States cause they don't wear seatbelts. I think it's somewhere around 15km/h.

Interesting. That makes sense. Still, even the force of a 1500kg car travelling at 15km/h would be a big ask for an old lady with a handbag. :p

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
mad jew said:
Interesting. That makes sense. Still, even the force of a 1500kg car travelling at 15km/h would be a big ask for an old lady with a handbag. :p
Oh god yeah, there's no way she could've popped those airbags.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Chundles said:
Oh god yeah, there's no way she could've popped those airbags.
Could've been a flawed airbag mechanism. I doubt it, but it could. Some people have had them deploy while just driving down the street.

katchow

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
Chundles said:
we don't? it's the law in most states if not all. I got in a minor fender-bender a few months back going around 5 mph at impact and my airbag didn't deploy. Looking at my fender i can't see granny doin' worse damage.
:rolleyes:

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
katchow said:
we don't? it's the law in most states if not all. I got in a minor fender-bender a few months back going around 5 mph at impact and my airbag didn't deploy. Looking at my fender i can't see granny doin' worse damage.
:rolleyes:
Last official figures I saw was a 76% rate of usage, that's shameful. I think our current level of around 96% is pretty piss weak too.

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
Chundles said:
Last official figures I saw was a 76% rate of usage, that's shameful. I think our current level of around 96% is pretty piss weak too.
Sorry, just checked, usage went from 71% in 2000 to 80% in 2004. That means one in five drivers are risking their own and other's lives. Terrible.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Chundles said:
Sorry, just checked, usage went from 71% in 2000 to 80% in 2004. That means one in five drivers are risking their own and other's lives. Terrible.
I agree, I wish everyone would realize how important it is to always wear a seat belt! Heck, I often strap mine on before I even start the car.

katchow

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2002
Dayton, Ohio
Chundles said:
that's still a pretty sorry percentage...its a deep rooted habit for me, just like using turn signals (another pet peeve of mine).

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
katchow said:
that's still a pretty sorry percentage...its a deep rooted habit for me, just like using turn signals (another pet peeve of mine).
We have to put it on before we start the car, if you don't do that in your driving test you fail before you even leave the RTA carpark.