Don't I already have the continuity features?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Applenoob34, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Applenoob34 macrumors 6502

I can already receive phone calls on my mbp and ipad after installing Yosemite and ios8 through my iphone. Isn't that all continuity is for?

Maybe I'm just not understanding it right. Is handoff the feature that is in the bottom left corner on the lock screen when moving to use another device? I already have that setup to work between the MBP, iPad, and iPhone.

The little research I've done seems to suggest Continuity is all about making and receiving phone call from all devices. I believe I can do that already though.

What is continuity supposed to be giving me?

2. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

Yes, you can send/receive calls on other devices because of Continuity... It was made fully usable when Apple released Yosemite and has been working before that for those on betas. The SMS relay though is not yet active and is suppose to come with iOS 8.1.

3. NeoX360 macrumors member

From what I understand, continuity is the name of the main feature that includes:
    1. handoff for picking up where you left off in certain apps on all devices.
    2. making/receiving phone calls on all your devices.
    3. SMS relaying so that you can send/receive all SMS texts, even non iMessage texts.
    4. Instant hotspot to share your internet connection

4. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Exactly, and with 8.1 today it will activate sms relay and instant hotspot. Everything else is already working.