Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGIS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Ontario Canada
I was foolish enough to do so, and now I'm faced with a clean install of Mavericks when I get home tonight.

It looks awesome, but iMovie does not run (strike 1), Aperture becomes just about unusable (strike 2), and Printopia is not supported (Strike 3). Finally my computer stopped booting all together.

So, take it from me, wait until they have a few more build iterations before taking the plunge, its just not worth it... :eek:

Last edited:

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
I was foolish enough to do so, and now I'm face with a clean install of Maverisks when I get home tonight.

It looks awesome, but iMovie does not run (strike 1), Aperture becomes just about unusable (strike 2), and Printopia is not supported (Strike 3). Finally my computer stopped booting all together.

So, take it from me, wait until they have a few more build interations before taking the plunge, its just not worth it... :eek:

I Don't use any of those 3 apps.....

MrGIS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Ontario Canada
This is why Apple shouldnt do public betas :|

Perhaps, though there is no public beta just yet, and in my case I understood the risk. Its not a big deal for me to get back up and running again quickly.

----------

No kidding.

OP, why didn't you clone your system drive to another partition/external drive and then upgrade that? :eek:

I've been thinking about a clean install anyway, didn't have much to lose and I have another Mac if I need to get something critical done.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Have then even started the official public beta yet? IIRC, folks running it now are using leaked developer copies.

Hopefully with the public beta, Apple will include guidance that helps non-developers not wind up in a situation where they're "faced with having to do a clean install of Mavericks" to get their Mac back. :confused:

----------

I've been thinking about a clean install anyway, didn't have much to lose and I have another Mac if I need to get something critical done.
Fair enough. Since the Mac is so easy to boot off of different partitions/drives, after you do your clean install of Mavericks, look into cloning it so that you can play around with the Beta, but keep Mavericks too. Best of both worlds, with no worries about being down when you run into issues with the Betas. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Beta 1 typically has a lot of rough edges. It seems based on my uneducated and unscientific research that this may be a bit rougher then prior beta 1s

MrGIS

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Ontario Canada
Have then even started the official public beta yet? IIRC, folks running it now are using leaked developer copies.

Hopefully with the public beta, Apple will include guidance that helps non-developers not wind up in a situation where they're "faced with having to do a clean install of Mavericks" to get their Mac back. :confused:

----------

Fair enough. Since the Mac is so easy to boot off of different partitions/drives, after you do your clean install of Mavericks, look into cloning it so that you can play around with the Beta, but keep Mavericks too. Best of both worlds, with no worries about being down when you run into issues with the Betas. :)

Excellent suggestion.. In my haste that didn't occur to me.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Perhaps, though there is no public beta just yet, and in my case I understood the risk. Its not a big deal for me to get back up and running again quickly.[
But apparently you don't understand it then, if you have to warn others not to install it. It is meant for developers, who do know the risks.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I was foolish enough to do so, and now I'm face with a clean install of Mavericks when I get home tonight.

So, take it from me, wait until they have a few more build interations before taking the plunge, its just not worth it... :eek:

Heck... I won't even install Mavericks on my main machine... still too buggy. There is no risk whatsoever of installing a leaked developer non-public pre-beta OS. ;)

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
Heck... I won't even install Mavericks on my main machine... still too buggy.

What makes you say that? Because people post in support forums looking for support? If what you claim is true, there would be millions of posts here.

It's running far better and faster for me than Mountain Lion ever did. :p

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012
You're right, there's no benefit to my post whatsoever...

I disagree.

Many people (me included) receive an invitation to the Apple Software Customer Seeding. The email arrived at 1:49 AM this morning.

If you have an Apple ID you may get an invite. Not restricted to developers. I was invited with Mavericks too.

It would be an easy mistake to make for a non-developer.

Thanks for your post.

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
I was foolish enough to do so, and now I'm face with a clean install of Mavericks when I get home tonight.

Don't tell me what to do

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Running Yosemite with no problems. Building web applications and studying / testing Swift in XCode. Listening to music while I code, I haven't used Pixelmator / PS / Sketch yet, but email works ( wish it didn't ).

AlabamaSlammer

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Alabama
With this being a beta I wasn't expecting much at all. The design is awesome and most of the features Apple showed yesterday are not available yet. There is a ton of lag but again I was expecting this. The thing I wasn't expecting is how HOT my machine now runs. My MacBook Pro Retina's fan now come on all the time. Even doing simple tasks like web surfing. With mavericks the fans NEVER came on.

So I'm also facing a fresh install of Mavericks. But after another beta or 2 comes out I'll update to 10.10 again & continue testing

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
What makes you say that? Because people post in support forums looking for support? If what you claim is true, there would be millions of posts here.

It's running far better and faster for me than Mountain Lion ever did. :p

Actually, I installed Mavericks on my laptop so I could test it myself. While I pay attention to the posts, I know enough that to not entirely depend on them. For one of the applications I depend there were enough reports of it becoming less than stable. Although to be fair... that was with the first release. I should look to see if the application is stable now. There are a few changes that I like on my laptop... but not enough yet to risk borking my main system. Perhaps with the next release I'll go to the trouble of looking at it again.

BTW... my first post was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek semi-humourous dig at the OP who made it appear that 10.10 was meant to be a stable product.

hologram

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2007
Although to be fair... that was with the first release.

You might (or might not) be surprised with this one. I installed 10.9.0 on my early 2008 iMac w 4gb ram as soon as it was released, but the performance was so awful I reverted back to 10.8.5.

I tried again with the 10.9.3 release, and ran the entire 5.6gb installer over an existing 10.8.5 just to see what would happen, and now everything about my comp is better than it was under ML. It boots faster, it doesn't generate more than one or two swapfiles (before it would generate 6-9 of them after a couple of days and the computer became unusable until I rebooted), my apps open faster, and the graphics perform better. It takes a lot less time for the icons in a folder to draw than it used to under ML.

That being said, some people are definitely having problems. I was hesitant to try the 9.3 release, but I'm really glad I did! ;)

ryansimmons323

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
United Kingdom

As many have already pointed out, the public beta isn't available yet.

And I think that is for good reason; to me they are probably waiting a couple of iterations for a more stable build that would be good for non-developers to test.

The literature on the public beta sign-up site suggests to install it on a secondary machine, but seemingly doesn't emphasise that as much as it does with the developer beta.

Plus they have said that if people encounter problems running their machine, they can contact AppleCare to help them out - something not covered by developer betas.

----------

Isn't the beta under a NDA?

It is, but can now be discussed publicly apparently (still no screenshots though) -

http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/06/..._campaign=loopinsight.com&utm_medium=referral

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
There's a reason they call this a beta, rather than a preview. We're supposed to find flaws like this. If nobody ran betas (and filed bug reports), "final" software would be that much more buggy. That, arguably, is why Apple is opening Yosemite to a public beta - more testers, more bugs rooted out and squashed early in the game.

Nobody should be worried that a 10.9.4 release might be buggy (although I've yet to see any release of any piece of commercial software that hasn't been declared buggy by someone). It takes a whole lot of monkeys pounding on a whole lot of keyboards to reach that goal.

Of course, "monkeys" is a problem. If we don't bother to read the warnings before clicking "accept," if we aren't up to doing the things necessary to recover from a failure (that are clearly described in the beta program instructions), if we don't have the time to devote to disaster recovery, if we blindly install software because someone on the internet published a link and said it's cool...

But I hope most of the people on a forum like this are a bit farther up the evolutionary ladder. "Hey guys, remember to maintain full backups" is one thing. "Don't do it" is another.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2013

NO, NO AND NO. They are telling you that you should run regular backups and you agree to certain things, public betas are good! But you should read about it before you just go right into it.

nrweaver

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
Has anyone tried it in VMWare? I am thinking about trying it on VMWare when public beta is available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.