Don't jailbreak yet! Step by step to jailbreaking iPhone 4 and keeping FaceTime & MMS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jp700p, Aug 1, 2010.

1. jp700p macrumors regular

**NOTE** DO NOT Jailbreak your phone until you follow these instructions.

Step 1 - Plug in your iPhone and let iTunes sync your stuff.

Step 2 - Right click on your device under iPhone and choose "Back Up". This process should take about 5-10 minutes.
    [​IMG]

Step 3 - Unplug your iPhone when its done backing up.

Step 4 - Go to this website on your iphone: jailbreakme.com and jailbreak your phone.

Step 5 - Restart your phone by holding the top power button for about 3 seconds and slide to power off.

Step 6 - Turn your phone back on.

Step 7 - Plug your phone back into the computer but cancel sync.
    [​IMG]

Step 8 - Right click on your device under iPhone and choose "Restore from Backup"
    [​IMG]

Step 9 - The restore process should take about 5-10 minutes. When its done restoring, it will restart yout phone automatically.

Step 10 - Check MMS functionality by going into messages and see if you have the little camera icon (if you do, it worked!). Also check FaceTime by calling a fake number and see if you have the FaceTime option (if you do, it worked!)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Step 11 - Enjoy your new iPhone 4 jailbreak phone with functioning FT and MMS.

**NOTES**
    Every time your restart your phone, you might see weird pixels across the top. Don't worry, its normal and goes away when the phone boots up.
    [​IMG]

2. craziplaya21 macrumors newbie

3. abercrombie macrumors regular

abercrombie

Thanks for the guide. Holding off till more confirmations.

4. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

That's not necessary anymore dude, Planetbeing just tweeted that everyone who Jailbreaks now will have their Facetime and MMS unaffected i.e they will still be there after the Jailbreak, no more bug.

Edit: This is what he said "FaceTime and MMS should now be fixed for new jailbreakme users. We're still working on something for people who already used it." Also someone a few threads down has posted a fix for people who have already Jailbroken that restores Facetime and MMS and all you have to do is install a simple package and reboot

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or avoid all the 86 steps and just JB using jailbreakme.com and then do this to fix the facetime and MMS problem.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=982701

Also I heard they updated the JB on the jailbreakme.com site so newer Jailbreaks shouldnt interfere or cause those issues.

6. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

This is not necessary anymore for new jailbreak users because the fix has already been implemented. Just go to jailbreakme and jailbreak. Nothing else.

7. r3voLoLwuT macrumors member

Worked for me:

Step 1: Backup
    Step 2: Jailbreak
    Step 3: Restore from Back-Up

8. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I noticed these too. I didn't panic too much and just figured it was an unintended side effect (and they went away when it got to anywhere important). I'm glad I'm not the only one.

9. hlkc macrumors regular

Sorry JB newbie here. After JB then what? Where do I go from there? I just want to do the Tethering. Thanks in advance!

10. antok86 macrumors member

so everything is good now? the mms/facetime/copyNpaste is all fixed ? no longer missing?

11. Nick0912 macrumors member

Now the jailbreak is out is the carrier unlock out?

12. t0md0 macrumors newbie

why is it that some of you guys are restoring from back up after jailbreak? i have an ip4 and just jailbroke it. no issues with mms. can't tell with facetime but i see the icon when i dial a fake number.

once again is it important that i restore from back up after i've already successfully jailbroken? btw, i did a back up first prior to jailbreaking. that should be my saving grace if anything were to happen right?

13. gatearray macrumors 65816

Is it really "harmful" to re-JB in order to get this update with the Facetime/MMS fix?

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good question.
    I wonder if you can rerun the JB with the fixed code to correct those issues.
    Not sure if it will work though.

15. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

New to JB'ing, went to www.jailbreakme.com, swiped and started JB process, phone just shows space background with no activity or icons on phone desktop.

Is it just high traffic or what?