Don't jailbreak yet! Step by step to jailbreaking iPhone 4 and keeping FaceTime & MMS

jp700p

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
**NOTE** DO NOT Jailbreak your phone until you follow these instructions.

Step 1 - Plug in your iPhone and let iTunes sync your stuff.

Step 2 - Right click on your device under iPhone and choose "Back Up". This process should take about 5-10 minutes.

Step 3 - Unplug your iPhone when its done backing up.

Step 4 - Go to this website on your iphone: jailbreakme.com and jailbreak your phone.

Step 5 - Restart your phone by holding the top power button for about 3 seconds and slide to power off.

Step 6 - Turn your phone back on.

Step 7 - Plug your phone back into the computer but cancel sync.

Step 8 - Right click on your device under iPhone and choose "Restore from Backup"

Step 9 - The restore process should take about 5-10 minutes. When its done restoring, it will restart yout phone automatically.

Step 10 - Check MMS functionality by going into messages and see if you have the little camera icon (if you do, it worked!). Also check FaceTime by calling a fake number and see if you have the FaceTime option (if you do, it worked!)

Step 11 - Enjoy your new iPhone 4 jailbreak phone with functioning FT and MMS.

**NOTES**
Every time your restart your phone, you might see weird pixels across the top. Don't worry, its normal and goes away when the phone boots up.

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
That's not necessary anymore dude, Planetbeing just tweeted that everyone who Jailbreaks now will have their Facetime and MMS unaffected i.e they will still be there after the Jailbreak, no more bug.

Edit: This is what he said "FaceTime and MMS should now be fixed for new jailbreakme users. We're still working on something for people who already used it." Also someone a few threads down has posted a fix for people who have already Jailbroken that restores Facetime and MMS and all you have to do is install a simple package and reboot

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
This is not necessary anymore for new jailbreak users because the fix has already been implemented. Just go to jailbreakme and jailbreak. Nothing else.

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
Every time your restart your phone, you might see weird pixels across the top. Don't worry, its normal and goes away when the phone boots up.
I noticed these too. I didn't panic too much and just figured it was an unintended side effect (and they went away when it got to anywhere important). I'm glad I'm not the only one.

hlkc

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Sorry JB newbie here. After JB then what? Where do I go from there? I just want to do the Tethering. Thanks in advance!

antok86

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
so everything is good now? the mms/facetime/copyNpaste is all fixed ? no longer missing?

t0md0

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
why is it that some of you guys are restoring from back up after jailbreak? i have an ip4 and just jailbroke it. no issues with mms. can't tell with facetime but i see the icon when i dial a fake number.

once again is it important that i restore from back up after i've already successfully jailbroken? btw, i did a back up first prior to jailbreaking. that should be my saving grace if anything were to happen right?

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
Is it really "harmful" to re-JB in order to get this update with the Facetime/MMS fix?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.