Don't judge a [Mac]Book[Pro] by its cover.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nikos, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I can finally see where all of the complaints about the 17" MBP (from non owners) are coming from. Went to the Apple store today and took a glance at it. Honestly, it looked terrible. The blue hue on the screen was immediately noticeable, and the picture seemed washed out. It also wasn't as bright as the 15" like a lot of people are saying. I'm 99% sure my 17" unibody is a lot brighter than the one on display.

I messed around with the calibration settings and fixed the colors/gamma in a matter of seconds, but as far as the brightness goes I'm not sure what's going on there. Could be the version of OSX installed like some are saying. I forgot to check that.

Anyway, if anyone is looking into the 17" MBP and is turned off by it in store, spend a few minutes adjusting the screen settings. The difference between mine and the display model was night and day. I wanted to check which screen was on the display model but I forgot how to do it when I was on the store.

Just thought I'd throw this out there. I was really surprised at how much worse it looked in the store and definitely understood why so many people are bashing it.

2. James Cole macrumors 6502

Same boat here mate, But I had a crappy display...

Altought I have found out some things, because today I went to the apple store...

1) The demo MBP 17 defenetely have another version of the OSX, I can tell because on the system pref. there is an icon (energy) with a light bulb in it... in our computers the graphic is a light saving bulb and on the store ones was a normal classic bulb... so it defenetely has another version on mac osx... whether that has to do do with the screen being crappy or not I have no clue.

2) Screens on apple store al 99c9 or something like that but its defenetely the one ending with a 9...

Thats all LOL... I am awaiting a new shipment of MBP so that I can buy another one and see whats what.

3. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

from what i thought, the energy saving light bulb was shown if you had an LED backlight

4. James Cole macrumors 6502

Well the 17s in the store dont have it... thats about the only difference I noticed.