Don't keyboards look primitive?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hummer, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I was just sitting around doing nothing and I looked at my keyboard and I had this vision of some museum curator explaining that a keyboard was used as an input device during the 21st century. So now I'm looking at my keyboard and I'm just like man this thing really looks like something from the 80s. We should be ahead of this already.

What happened with speech recognition? I had tried Naturally speaking dragon when it first came out and then again late last year and it wasn't any better than when it first came out.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

honestly, the mouse is almost a bit clunkier than the keyboard. i man the keyboard can have so much more power than a mouse really. and faster too. but it takes a lot more effort in the beginning and a bit more learning to get all the shortcuts down. but the keyboard is a powerful too.

voice recognition has come a long way, but i think speech is just too varied in terms of accents and individual 'lingo' that it just won't ever work perfectly.

3. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

why dont you freeze yourself at http://www.alcor.org/index.html this place and be reborn in the future to find out if keyboards is a primitive tool.

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Couldn't agree more.

Keyboards rock....much better then mice IMO.

I guess if you really want to look like your from the future get this

Attached Files:

6. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

i can't imagine tring to type with that.. no feedback at all from the keyboard would be very wierd... although one might get used to it... and if it was something to use while on the run and only then... maybe i'd consider it...

7. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Its hard to update something that people are so used to. Plus people like feed back feeling, so thats what makes a keyboard ideal. You have too much time on your hands.

8. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I guess you don't realize that the keyboard is not a product of the 80s, but rather a device invented sometime in the 18th or 19th century...

[​IMG]

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I've looked into buying them, but they cost like 150(if I remember corretly) and its wasn't worth it. Like my Apple keyboard...so there wasn't a need for me to go rish 150USD to see if I like it.

10. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

QWERTY keyboards are so widely used. They have been around for over 100 years. I'm sure if anything new came out, the transition would take over 20 years at least.

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Or for something a little less expensive, how about this?

12. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

13. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The keyboard will never go out of style, voice recognition will never work in an office type environment, Can you imagine 100 people all talking to their computers at once.:p

14. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

That is guaranteed to bring a smile to the face of Andy Rooney.

15. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Thats the keyboard of the future I would get one if it cost $50 but I'm skint right now :(

:apple:

16. mpw Guest

Alcor defrosting instructions:
    1) Insert customers security card into unit.
    2) Select 'Defrost' from drop down menu.
    3) Enter PIN into keyboard......doh!

17. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

That doesn't even bear thinking about :eek:
    I think keyboards are here to stay for a very long time.

FJ

18. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

That's one cool keyboard :cool:

19. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

It is cool but when a keyboard could be an entire multi-touch screen that could change into volume sliders or a music keyboard, etc. it just doesn't offer the same flexibility and is probably dearer than a touch screen.

Had this come out five years ago it would have rocked, but it has missed its window.

20. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If you mean the 1880's, you're right. The QWERTY keyboard was patented in 1860 and in use by 1873.

There's a reason it's been around so long - it works. Now, the Dvorak (not John!) keyboard is said to have a significantly more typist-friendly layout, as the QWERTY is intentionally awkward to slow you down. (Betcha can't guess why! ;) )

Don't expect a sudden or seismic shift in input technology. While the physical form may change, I think the fundamental concept is here for the forseeable future.

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

<raises hand>

In the olden days they soon found out that keyboards where the keys were laid out alphabetically presented a problem when people were typing at speed – the rods that the letters were placed on became entangled together, meaning the typist had to stop and unjam them manually. The qwerty keyboard places the keys for letters commonly used together away from one another, slowing the typist down and making a jam less likely.

Of course, this mechanical limitation is unnecessary with computer keyboards, but the qwerty standard has stuck for the simple reason that it's the layout the vast majority of people are familiar with and have learned to type on.

Do I win a prize then? :D

22. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

Yes, a packet of Jaffa Cakes.

*hides*

23. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Back in the day I could and often did over type a 1200 baud modem. I would have to pause every couple of words to let the buffer flush otherwise I would end up loosing letters. In boggy java chat apps and the like i still occasionally run into issues but since I am not typing as regularly as I did back in High School my speed has significantly decreased. Back in HS I had illusions of becoming a writer. I forced my way through writing a novel. I then made the mistake of reading and realized that it was irredeemably crappy and that the struggle was in no way worth the results. Yes dvorak is much better for typists. Once you get past the learning curve you actually move faster. The current WPM record for typists is 212 on Dvorak keyboard

NO CARRIER

24. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I've used it...not too bad really...one more thing to charge really though

Kinda....they wanted to keep some reminiscence of the alphabetic layout, and had some other tricks: for example all the letters of the word 'typewriter' are on the top row so that salesmen could easily demonstrate the brilliance of this layout with a quick and easy-looking showing...

25. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I was looking into one of these a while ago... now that i have a laptop not really considering getting it anymore, but i'd still like to try it.