Don't know how to describe this (aka Am I crazy?)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MrCrispy, Apr 22, 2008.

1. MrCrispy macrumors member

MrCrispy

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this. If not then feel free to move it, kill it or whatever. (I apologize ahead of time for my excessive use of parenthesis)

I made the grand switch to Apple about 2 and a half years ago. After the initial culture shock ("Its that easy to install/uninstall programs?!), I have not regretted my switch for even a smidgeon of a nanosecond.

I use a Mac both at home and at my job (network administrator and graphic designer for a small company). I would consider myself ...well..not an expert..but pretty darn good at using them. Lately, however, I've had this weird suspicion gnawing at the back of my head like a rabid terrier.

Am I using my Mac to its fullest?

I've got it joined up with a windows active directory. I've got my files organized with iphoto. I photoshop like a mad man. Iwork is child's play. I'm learning xcode. I've hacked the heck out of my iphone. Thousands of mp3s. I blast through terminal like it was pac man. I delete files just so I can pull them back from the twisting nether using time machine. I impress my coworkers with expose (so I don't use the little ` thingy on the name. sue me). I use garage band to make my own ringtones.

In spite of all that, I get the feeling that there is something I'm missing. Some neat little feature of OS X (yes, I pronounce it as "Oh Es Ten" like a good little cult member) that I haven't stumbled upon yet that would make me say "How have I lived without this!?".

This has become an obsession with me as of late. I'm buying every Mac related magazine I stumble across. I'm scouring forums every chance I get. I've bought an absurd amount of books. I still haven't been able to shake this feeling.

I still feel like a little kid that's been handed the keys to the Enterprise. I feel like the OS is wasted on me.

The question I have is: am I the only one? That is, of course, in addition to the "what the heck am I missing?" question.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Learn the command line.
    Master GREP.
    Become an Automator whiz

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I think you're are getting your Macs worth out of it. I'm an Apple Sys Admin, we have some people here who have brand new iMacs with 10.5.2. They don't use Expose, Spaces, Spotlight, Time machine. They use a minimized Finder... it drives me crazy. They just seem to view their Macs as "weird PCs".

You don't have to use every feature available, but you seem to be making the most of it.

he said he was.

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

whoa dude slowly step away from your Mac....... then go outside and find an activity to partake in.:D

from reading your post i'm sure you do alot more than the average user does with their computer, and you probably do alot less than a way above average power user does.... the point is there is always going to be something that you havent discovered whether its already on your computer or its a third-party software or hardware buried on a website somewhere, there is really no way to do absolutely everything there is to do, just chill out and enjoy what you are doing so far i'm sure you'll discover things here and there as you go along.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just because someone does not use Spaces, Expose or Time Machine does not mean they are not using their Mac to the fullest. Perhaps it would help in certain situations, but if all your apps fit on one screen why bother with the others? Please clicking the apps icon on the dock is just as good as using Expose to bring windows to the front that you want.

Spotlight is good but I find the version in Leopard worse than the one in Tiger. I actually have to search in a Finder window and enable all the advanced options I want rather than Tigers method which was just to show everything.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

When you have a bunch of windows on screen (email, multiple Word, Preview, calendars) pulling windows to the bottom of screen to find the one you are looking for and then pulling them back again is very inefficient IMO. People using the dock would be a start.

I include using the Finder search when i'm talking about Spotlight. Poking around in folders until you find what you're looking for is not too hot.

Personally, if you don't use the search/windows management features of OS X, then I don't think you're even scratching the surface of what OS X can do.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Compared to me, MrCrispy, you're a card-carrying geek. I don't use Exposé (actually, it's a little ´ thingy, not a little ` thingy) or Spaces, I hardly use Spotlight, I've never used the Command Line, I wouldn't know what a grep was if I saw one, but I enjoy using a Mac immensely. When I used OS 7, 8 and 9, I used to strip out all the fancy extensions I would never use just to save space and speed things up, but I wouldn't know where to start on OS X. Actually, OS 9 seemed to do everything I wanted.

8. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

Well I think anyone would agree with you there :p

Nope but as long as you, me and the others use those features then all is ok, because if people want to do things the hard way, let them :D

9. Matari macrumors member

I think Mr MCrispy's problem is...

...that he can't quite believe that everything is so easy on a Mac. What he is missing is the gut wrenching nightmare of trying to make a PC work.