Dont know if anyone has seen noticed this...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mac-Addict, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Loads of people are saying that they can't see differences between Safari 2 and 3 well heres the list I know of..
    1. Organize your tabs by dragging them.
    2. Open tags in a new window by dragging them out of the tab bar.
    3. :apple: Key + F brings up find a great way to search for words on a page, this is great for digg If you want to look for the comment you made but don't want to search through hundreds of comments to find yours.

Ok so you may of already known some of these from the Video but some people might not have seen it :p
    Feel free to add to the list

PS
    I haven't had any bugs at all with Safari 3 so don't be worried.

2. socamx macrumors 6502

• Safari supports more CSS styling for text boxes now. Issues like this are no longer a problem: http://www.flickr.com/photos/0401/112064726/in/set-1769417/
    • Some nifty new developer tools built in, try right clicking on things. "Inspect Element"
    • Scrolling is MUCH smoother with arrow keys, and I don't even have smooth scrolling enabled.
    • Window menu has all the new options for tabs, such as Merge All Windows.
    • The red bubble has a black dot in it when multiple tabs are open and warns you if you click it.
    • Option for "Bookmark These Tabs" in the Bookmarks menu.
    • If your Debug menu is enabled, some new options such as "Force Repaint" are in there, as well as new User Agents to choose from including Safari 2.
    • Now an option in the View menu to "Make Text Normal Size" after increasing or decreasing it. (Thank you Apple, been wanting that.)
    • Option to "View All History" in a fashion like the bookmarks, can search the history too. Sweet.
    • Warns you if you close a window with a text box modified with text.

• Most of all, Safari finally for once IS snappier and faster all around, for me anyway on this old iBook G4.

3. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

Text input boxes are now resizable (like the one I'm typing this is).

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

apple+i (emails web page)
    or apple+shift+i (emails link)
    In safari 2

5. socamx macrumors 6502

Hmm but the links in the menu weren't there so that's new at least I guess, not necessarily the feature.

6. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Innovative features that we have already seen with Firefox...

7. socamx macrumors 6502

So what if they've been done before? Everyone copies everyone, Apple isn't the first to do it or the only one to do it. I wouldn't care if Firefox, IE, Opera or something had it first.

I like Safari better and am glad to have these things added in, so keep the party-pooping to yourself you negative nancy.

8. meagain macrumors 68030

Ooo! I can click in the address bar to highlight the whole thing to type in another. :) That didn't work for me before.

9. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you hold down Option when clicking "Private Browsing" it won't prompt you to press "Ok".

10. paleo2002 macrumors newbie

paleo2002

Speaking of the Debug menu . . .

There's something in there now called Snippet Editor. I saw the explanation of Web Clips, is this somehow related? Does it do anything yet?

Also, what exactly is Web Inspector? What is it for?

11. socamx macrumors 6502

Being a web designer, the Web Inspector is extremely useful. It shows how elements in the HTML code are nested, what CSS styles are being applied to it as well as the Metrics (visualize the borders, paddings, etc.) and advanced properties of it. So basically it is just a tool for website coders to help debug their pages from what I gather.

12. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

so what, the functionality of safari I find to be now on par with firefox and with its interface and speed I will stay on my safari.

13. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Not the awesome find function.

Not the way that it warns you when closing a tab/window that you have put text into but not OKd.

14. socamx macrumors 6502

I guess people don't realize this is only software and web browsers, treating this like it is a religion. Firefox isn't all it is cracked up to be people, or Opera, or Safari, or iCabb, or IE. Each has its pluses and minuses.

Maybe I am just not realizing the people that treat this like a religion are teens and/or trolls.

15. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

The only cool new feature is the new Find feature. Very neat. Other than that, Safari 3 Beta is nothing special.

16. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Resizing boxes like the one I am typing in.

The slightly faster speed.

The way that it warns you when closing a tab/window that you have put text into but not OKd.

Two questions I have:
    1. How do you change the 'Hide find banner' option to :apple: +F, instead of :apple: +Shift+F

2. And, how do I make a keyboard shortcut for 'Merge All Windows"

17. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

Anyone know if there's a way to make Safari keep one window size? (not let sites resize the window)

And also, when clicking links with target="_blank" in them, to open a new window, is there anyway to make Safari open these in a new tab, as opposed to a new window entirely?

I just recently switched back over from OmniWeb.

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

System Preferences
    Keyboard and Mouse
    Keyboard Shortcuts
    +
    Application = Safari
    Menu Title = "Merge All Windows"
    Keyboard shortcut = whatever you want

1. Do the same but it will override the command to bring up the search bar, this means you will no longer have shortcut to bring up the banner. With the way it is implemented I don't think you can have some command to both bring it up and to hide it.

19. cowm007 macrumors regular

20. socamx macrumors 6502

I don't understand this spell check thing for Safari, it has been able to spell check for a long time. How is this a new feature or does it work differently now?