Don't know if I should be an iMac or not. *epic sadface*

Discussion in 'iMac' started by toloratedmeat, Mar 14, 2010.

  1. toloratedmeat macrumors member

    Apr 29, 2008

    I'm living in Australia and I need a new computer. Usually, my pattern goes PC -> Mac -> PC -> Mac. Being a Mac year, I want to invest in the i5 iMac. I'm going to Uni and there is the "Buy a Mac get a free iPod Touch" promotion on until 29th March.

    Should I buy the Mac now, or wait until WWDC.

    Three Major Questions:
    1. What are the chances of the iMac being revised in June?
    2. What are the chances of the price dropping in June?
    3. What are the chances of them being revised AND the price dropping in June?

    These are the questions that haunt me.
  2. archipellago macrumors 65816

    Aug 16, 2008
    if money is the primary consideration then you shouldn't buy a Mac as there is no value in them.

    If a price drop will haunt you

    There will always be upgrades

    just build your own machine and stick Ubu or Mint on it if you don't like Windows.
  3. ttopp macrumors regular

    Mar 1, 2007
    no value in a mac???

    i sold a 3 year old macbook for £425.00 over half what i paid for it... what other computer maker has that resale value??
  4. MacDawg macrumors Core


    Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Living in the shadows of the next upgrade is never a good place to be
    There will always be another upgrade, price drop, or new addition just around the bend

    As far as the iMac upgrade, it is like any other Mac upgrade, nobody really knows

    All you can do is make the best choice with information you currently have and live with your decision. Don't look back based on knowledge you did not have at the time.

    The rule of thumb is always...
    If you have a compelling reason to buy... then buy and get the use of it now
    If you can afford to wait on a new release indefinitely... then wait

    If you always have to have the newest, fastest, biggest, smallest, latest and greatest, then you will only be satisfied for about three months out of any year
  5. R.Perez macrumors 6502


    Feb 16, 2010
    Philadelphia, PA
    I really don't see an iMac revision in June being likely.

    If it helps at all, I love my quad core iMac.
  6. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816


    Jan 15, 2009
    the iMacs have just been revised, personally i'd buy one now, it's kinda unlikely that they'll have the price dropped, but if thats a primary concern then you could always stalk the refurb store to see
  7. scottness macrumors 65816


    Mar 18, 2009
    Room 101
    Best advice I've seen here in a while.
  8. rob2809 macrumors newbie

    Feb 6, 2010
    If you need it, dont wait!! I am waiting for new mbps which havent been updated since june 09...and atm, still no new upgrades. Maybe ill have to wait until june for new mbps:s So if you want to wait for the new imacs...youll probably need to wait a long long time. Or maybe not, but you dont know and the not knowing and waiting is horrible!

    So if you buy an imac now, you will have the newest mac for at least 2-3 months. Its only mid product cycle now...i wouldnt wait!

    Updates will shift cpu(i5 to base, i7 to high end with option for a new faster cpu(which isnt out yet!!) => if you buy now youll still have the latest cpu after next update), gpu will be ati 5 series instead of 4 series, and maybe they add usb3.0.
  9. archipellago macrumors 65816

    Aug 16, 2008
    any laptop holds its value, i sold a 2 year old Compaq for £269 and I paid £449 for it originally.

    what I should have said is that with a Mac you don't get performance with the price.
  10. MacDawg macrumors Core


    Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    A very subjective measure to say the least

    The spec/price debate has been waged over and over and will continue to be the subject of strong feelings

    The bottom line is, value is defined by the buyer/user, not a spec sheet
  11. swee5420 macrumors member

    Feb 10, 2010
    I think it will not refresh before June, Why?

    Because Apple need space for their other products, such as the Ipad, later the Mac Pro, and also Macbook pro. Normally people will not buy several products at once, therefore it make sense for apple release their product one by one.

    looking at the last release of mac pro and MBP, you will see the refresh of these products first before the imac.

    Conclusion, if you want it now, go get it.
  12. archipellago macrumors 65816

    Aug 16, 2008
    True, to an extent however it is easy to 'cost up' a system based on individual components.

    In my opinion with Apple products there is a 'perceived' but not actual monetary value because of their bull***** and FUD marketing.

    if OSX is worth the $300+ (its not to 99% of the world) surcharge then yes there is value in them.
  13. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

    Nov 16, 2006
    The imacs are great value for money, Dell sell an all in one with worse specs, worse 24" screen for the same price as an i5, 27" imac. You can beat the specs slightly for the same price with a standard desktop and the dell 27" screen but its very close and theres a world of difference in style and design quality between the two.

    Before you start with the build your own pc for less crap, some people, me included dont want the hassle.

    Other mac lines such as the macbook pro and mac mini are offering too little, for too much at the moment, but you cannot fault the imac for value.

    Why exactly are you on macrumours if you seemingly dont like or use macs? :s
  14. Denarius macrumors 6502a


    Feb 5, 2008
    Gironde, France
    Our Power Mac G5 lasted five years, my MacBook pro is now 2 and a half and still going strong. Yes, you miss out on knowing that your machine has the fastest processor available (for a good few weeks at least), but in my experience you get a lot more life out of it in the long run because the Mac OS doesn't seem to bloat as fast as Windows.
  15. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040


    Sep 17, 2009
    if you want to wait until you get better spec or lower price you will simply wait forever, as there will always come a improvement in a couple month , so the price will stay at the same level or even go up , but better spec , so as soon as you buy your mac in a couple month it will be outdated anyway when the new one gets a faster processor or better graphics card or ..or..or..:confused:
  16. 7031 macrumors 6502


    Apr 6, 2007
    Just buy the iMac, or as somebody else suggested, go and get a PC and install your favourite distro of Linux onto it.
  17. MrCheeto macrumors 68030


    Nov 2, 2008
    The greatest problem is the fact that the shadow is never-ending ;)

Share This Page