Don't know the password! Help!

Suegr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Ok. So I recently upgraded from a 3GS to a 5, and I opted to keep to old phone since it's not really worth anything. One of my roommates children snagged it, and changed the password on it. I would very much like to get into the phone so I can find out which of the lovelies did the deed so I can give it to whoever did not. I'm, as you can imagine, not terribly pleased. So. How do I get into it without deleting everything? Thanks!

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Ok. So I recently upgraded from a 3GS to a 5, and I opted to keep to old phone since it's not really worth anything. One of my roommates children snagged it, and changed the password on it. I would very much like to get into the phone so I can find out which of the lovelies did the deed so I can give it to whoever did not. I'm, as you can imagine, not terribly pleased. So. How do I get into it without deleting everything? Thanks!
Just curious since I don't know the technical issue...don't you have to know the password already in order to change the password?

Suegr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
As I had a knew phone I deleted everything and didn't bother putting a new password. Obviously a poor choice with three teenage girls. :/

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
How do I get into it without deleting everything? Thanks!
Visit Apple in California?

Seriously, if prosecutors in South Africa are flying to California to have Apple unlock a phone (without erasing the contents) where the password was forgotten, I'd guess there's really no easier way.

South African prosecutors pressing a murder charge against Oscar Pistorius secured a meeting Thursday with Apple officials in the United States over accessing potentially crucial evidence on the double-amputee athlete's locked iPhone, they said.

Pistorius claimed he forgot the password for the cellphone, one of a number found at his upscale villa after he shot dead girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp Feb. 14, 2013.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/ap/ap/international/pistorius-investigators-meet-apple-over-iphone/nd2ZW/

Suegr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2014
Damn. I didn't think it was that intense!!! There really isn't another way?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Not that I know of, other than guessing at the password.

If you have a recent backup, you can put the phone into recovery mode, restore iOS, and then restore the latest backup.

But that's all I can think of. Sorry. :(

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Great story but the passcode cannot be bypassed for obvious reasons.
You'll have to restore the phone. And if it has an activation lock with icloud and findmyiphone you will not be able to do anything with it.
Just so you know if one of those kids accidentally snagged it and set all that up too;)

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
Wow the stories people come up with... Do people not realize that it's really not possible? The story you make up doesn't change the laws of computing or physics.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Damn. I didn't think it was that intense!!! There really isn't another way?
Nope. Plus, (no offense intended) but what tells us (if we knew how to break it) that the phone wasn't stolen or something. Anyhow - to keep it short the answer is no.

Miz.Michele

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Great story but the passcode cannot be bypassed for obvious reasons.
You'll have to restore the phone. And if it has an activation lock with icloud and findmyiphone you will not be able to do anything with it.
Just so you know if one of those kids accidentally snagged it and set all that up too;)

I thought activation lock is only on IOS7 and on the 3GS a restore will wipe it out.

magilla

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Deprivation of their allowances might nudge a memory if they even remember it! Otherwise you are truly stuck.
What about deprivation of the data, text and talk privileges on THEIR equipment for some stated time?