Don't know what to do with my iPhone 5.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Jaben3421, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Jaben3421, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013

Jaben3421 macrumors regular

*This is a long one. Skip to the end to see a TL;DR*
    So guys, I got an interesting case for you all today. This all started last Sunday, when I woke up and pulled my iPhone off it charging dock. Well, I noticed that it hadn't charged at all; in fact it was at 18%. Weird, okay. Maybe it wasn't plugged into the wall. I check the cord, plug it in and let it sit. Come back an hour later and still nothing. Well fast forward to Monday. I go to get my phone and it has the same problem again. I back it up, and reset it thinking it's just a firmware thing. Same problem. I restore it and set it up as a new phone. Well now it gets interesting. I starts getting white lines through the phone and restarting almost every five minutes, so that I can't get more than 1 app installed at a time. I make a genius appointment for Tuesday thinking they can get this ironed out. Well all they do is send me home and tell me restore it. I restore it again. Well fast forward again even farther. I'm tired of my phone just glitching out, so I make a last minute appoint and head down the the genius bar. I get there, explain my situation, and they run a diagnostic in the front of the store. First weird thing goes off. For the battery status, it comes back N/A. There's no battery inside my phone according to the diagnostics. She tells me this is really weird, and asks to take it to the back to open it up and inspect it. Well, 10-15 minutes later she returns. I get really weird news. She's telling me she has never seen anything like this before. Apparently upon opening it up, the battery was disconnected, and other "things" were not in their right spots, and 4 other employees had come over to clarify what she had been seeing. Okay, weird enough. I ask if they could replace the phone, 'cuase I got 1 week left of Applecare. Well, nope. Inside the phone are scratches indicating that someone had opened it and tampered with it. Apparently she has seen phones run over by cars with internals in better shape. What's worse is that Apple can't do anything to the phone, because it looks like I messed with it voiding everything. Well I don't have anything close to the right tools for opening an iPhone, nor the knowhow. She said she was really sorry, and to go to the Verizon store and see if they can replace it since it was bought through Verizon. Well, it was bought through Verizon because I got it through my business account meaning to get anything done I have to go through my business rep who has disappeared off the Earth. I asked if there was anything I could do. Well, the Verizon employee jumped on the chance to tell me I can pay $750 to get a new phone. I don't have that kind of money because I've been saving for a new rMPB. So now I have a $300 paper weight spazzing out on my desk every 5 minutes with nothing to do. In short, what do I do with a $300 iPhone 5 that can't be repaired or replaced, but can't be used either?

tl;dr Somehow someone opened up my phone, screwed up the battery and other "things", and then returned it causing my phone to glitch out but also not be able to be repaired or replaced by Apple or Verizon. What do I do?

2. ItBeMe22 macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

Well you didn't hear this from me. But you could get insurance on it and than make it disappear or throw in the street and see how many cars and trucks can run it over. Than you know the rest.:confused:

3. Jaben3421 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha. Not the response I was looking for, but thanks.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

You can sell it on eBay for whatever it's still worth. Just make sure in the listing that you explain that it has been tampered with and the current issues that it has. Someone will still pay several hundred dollars for it.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

As long as you are patience, 'coz there are gonna gone quite a few ZERO transaction bidders, and even negative feedback (less than zero) bidders AND you send them the phone, the next day their eBay account is found disabled.

I got no angle for you OP.

6. cursedemo macrumors newbie

ios 6.1.4

can i upgrade to ios 6.1.4 from itunes?
    if so, how do i do that cause right now the only update i have available in itunes is ios 7.0.2.
    Btw i'm on ios 6.1 and i don't want to upgrade to ios 7 as yet. i want to wait for a jailbreak.

7. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Wow. Do you have any idea how this could've happened?

8. ItBeMe22 macrumors 6502

ItBeMe22

Yes but only if you do it on Monday after noon. And the up grade may turn into a down grade.
    What does this have to do with the post on the poor guys phone.:confused: