Dont know what to say

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by da-man10, Jul 26, 2008.

1. da-man10 macrumors member

Well, I had my iphone 3g stolen. I'm ready to cough up the money to get a new one. If i were to buy one on ebay for a "decent" price, how would i activate the thing considering i am already with AT&T? Or if i bought just the original, could it still be activated via Itunes? I am not a troll. All help is highly appreciated.+

2. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

buy one and go to att and tell 'em what happened. they'll activate your new phone for you on the same plan with your same number. you will just have to pay full price(if they are selling them that way now)

3. da-man10 thread starter macrumors member

This is what i want to do, but then again i dont. Its complicated because i dont want my parents finding out. Thats why i wanna buy it online. They will seriously flip if they find out i had it stolen. Any idea when it may be available online like the first gen?

4. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Well if you are going to ebay you are gonna pay a hell of a lot more than you would to buy a subsidized version being either $400 or $500. Make sure you contact AT&T so that they can blacklist your IMEI so that person doesn't use your iPhone and call or anything. Just go in and tell them yours was stolen and you want to buy a replacement they will give you the offer to buy the iPhone again at the subsidized price of $400 for 8gb and $500 16gb. If you buy on ebay you'll have to go through a hell of a lot more and pay upto $700-900. If you go to AT&T theyll just switch over the numbers. Call the cops too and give them your serial number to help the chances of you getting it back.

5. da-man10 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. I feel what yall are saying. I just wish i could just buy it online and activate it at home. Do you think it will be available online by the end of August? By the way, thanks for the replys.

6. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

If it was stolen and you don't want to report it because your parents will find out (why would they be mad that someone else stole it?), then that person that stole it could use more minutes than you have, use info that is on the phone, use more texts than you have, etc..etc..etc... They may see the extra charges on the bill anyway.

Just fess up.

7. da-man10 thread starter macrumors member

I already had it suspended. I have even called to have a new sim card sent to me to use in the mean time. I know the right thing to do is fess up.

8. da-man10 thread starter macrumors member

So i take it that there are no rumors of any sort on the future of the option to buy online?

9. AppleSpice macrumors member

I would recommend just going back to the store to get one. I know it sucks and they will be pissed, but you also dont want to get raped and taken advantage of by the people that bought the new iPhone just to sell it for profit online. They only strengthens them and gives them reason to keep doing it. Just don't do that... its not a good idea. Just tell your parents and get a new one from a store.

My 1st gen one was smashed after falling out of my pocket... it sucked, but I told my mom and paid for myself to get a new one (little different because they just replaced it for like 250 instead of buying a new one but still)...

10. spinstorm macrumors 65816

You can buy one online and activate it at home.

Assuming you have an AT&T SIM on your iPhone contract..? Maybe you could get AT&T to give you a replacement - tell them you dropped it and lost it when you let your friend play with your new iPhone...

Then buy one off ebay.

The activation process is simply you put your SIM in the phone and as long as its a US SIM in a US phone or in an unlocked phone iTunes will activate it without asking you anything at all apart from your itunes account number.

But I have to agree that it would be cheaper just to buy one from AT&T!

11. da-man10 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for the advice. Guess it's time to fess up!! But there is no way to buy it by myself since I'll have to sign another 2 year contract agreement, right?

12. AppleSpice macrumors member

unless you are an authorized user on the account, your parents would have to be there... I will say this... If you have ever logged into your account online you can change it yourself if you want to be sneaky... I dont know if I necessarily recommend it, but its a possibility if you REALLY dont want to tell them I guess... I was able to do it signed on my account on AT&T's website...

I would still tell them though :)

But if you are asking if they have to be there... thats my answer... no (if you become an authorized user).

13. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

No, they just port your number. All you have to pay is the new iPhone which is $400 or $500, If your parents are paying for your service they will continue to pay. Losing a phone doesn't mean you lose or break a contract, you just need a new phone and then the sim will be your previous sim with the same number and all.But, yes your parents will have to be there to buy the iPhone.

14. AppleSpice macrumors member

ah... forgot about that.. thanks!

15. da-man10 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, just to be sure I am following everyone correctly, I can go and purchase the iphone for $400 (8Gb) and then be out without the help of my parents if I chose to be sneaky?;)

16. AppleSpice macrumors member

yup, authorized user :) lol Thats what I had to do. Not behind their back, lol, but because I live in a different area and am still on their plan. Worked just fine...

17. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

I don't think so. You have to be the authorized user and when you go to the store they'll ask for your SSN and license of the authorized user of the AT&T account. So i don't think there is any way out of this without telling your parents. You kinda have to tell them and tell AT&T your iPhone was stolen so they can blacklist it or someone might do more than you think with it... Notify the POLICE too!! Put on your man-suit and face your parents. I bet after they get mad they'll be happy you confronted them about it.

18. da-man10 thread starter macrumors member

How can you tell if you are the authorized user on the account?

19. da-man10 thread starter macrumors member

I have already taken the neccesary precautions to prevent uauthorized phone bill slaughter. But i couldnt just have the SSN and license info at hand when i went? I'm just gonna be a man and fess up. Just wanna check all my options first.

20. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

Doesn't matter if you are or are not the authorized user, Im assuming you are younger than 18, so you have to be an adult to buy the iPhone and i assume that you have to be the same person who bought the iphone the first time as the second time. If you don't have the authorized user buy it for you you won't get it.

Lets put it this way, if you are younger than 18 and ain't paying for the bill, you won't be able to buy it yourself.

21. da-man10 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much. Guess it's man up time now!!! (I so wish you could purchase either gen over the iternet!)