Don't know whats happening with my MacBook Air :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lmrrr4, Sep 25, 2013.

1. lmrrr4 macrumors newbie

HI all,

I was going to class on Monday and found out that my water bottle had spilled in my bag. it got the bottom 1/4 of my notebooks wet, as well as my MacBook Air 13" that I got less than a year ago. I quickly took the case off (hard plastic) and wiped the water (there wasn't much) off of the external parts.

It was already powered off before the water spilled so I didn't worry about pushing the power button at all. I held the computer on each side for about 5 minutes.. a little bit of water dripped out of one side, but only about 5 or 6 droplets or so.

I rushed home and put the laptop on rice on its side and left it there for a little over 2 days (I flipped it to the other side at one point as well). I turned it on a little bit ago and it seems to be working completely fine except for one problem.. the battery has said 0% for about 5 hours (the charging symbol is still in the little battery though).. and when i click it, it says "condition: replace now".

I'm assuming that the problem is just in the battery and that I'll have to get a new one? Or could it be a different problem?

Also, I know that Apple will cover a new battery for free within the first year of purchase... but I'm assuming that is void if it's due to water damage? I got the laptop last year in December so the year hasn't come up yet.

I'd appreciate any input. I have a VERY tight budget right now and am just trying to see how much this repair will cost me :/ Thanks!!! :)

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Yes, a new battery seems to be what you need. No, it won't be covered by warrantee.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Suggestion:

I know this doesn't help with your problems right now, but in the future, never - NEVER - pack your MacBook in a bag that contains any fluids at all. NEVER. Got it?