Don't know where to really go from here

Discussion in 'iMac' started by boatcapt, Nov 23, 2014.

1. boatcapt macrumors member

I have a late 2011 MBP, that I invested $2000 in only to have it failing because of a defective logic board. I hate to pay Apple to fix my computer on my dime because of a manufacturers defect and it will not totally fix my problem. They will just use the same defective product to fix it and it will just prolong the problem. So now I was almost decided on getting an Mac Mini but was waiting on the update. The update wasn't really that great to say the least, but I've waited to long to by a left over 2012 mac mini. I can't find one anywhere with a quad core processor. So I've been looking at the base model iMac 27". I'm fulling invested in Apple at this point, 3 iPads, 6 iPods, 2 apple tv's, 3 iPhones, TBD and one half way stable MBP. I don't do any thing real intensive other than edit HD video every once it a while (go pro), but I don't want a snail when I do that, i.e. new 2 core mini's. Any suggestions, frustrated with Apple at this point about this MBP. Thanks.

2. jji7skyline macrumors 6502

jji7skyline

3. boatcapt thread starter macrumors member

All 13" are dual core, have to step up to 15" to get quad core and another $2000. After this last MBP I dropped $2000 dollars on, I'm a little gun shy about dropping that much coin.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

A refurbished late 2013 27'' iMac would suit you nicely. They're known to be stable machines, although you shouldn't get one without an SSD.

5. boatcapt thread starter macrumors member

Is that the latest generation of the iMac. Sorry I don't know this, really haven't kept up with the iMac. I guess I could use my TBD also and have lots of screen real estate. Can put a SSD in them yourself?

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

The latest is actually the new Retina iMac but it's at a higher price point then the previous high-end 27'' iMac. It's a fast machine with a stunning display.

Putting an SSD in yourself requires you to unglue the screen and also voids the warranty of your iMac, it's not for the faint of heart.

7. boatcapt thread starter macrumors member

Will not be doing that then, lol. How about changing ram on the non retina model?

8. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

RAM is much easier, there is an access door on all the 27'' models.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Be aware that there is a class-action suit going forward against Apple regarding the 2011 MacBook Pro's with graphics-related failures.

It may take a little while, but I sense that at some point, Apple is going to offer affected owners some kind of compensation -- either a payment or credit towards a new laptop, or perhaps a free recall program.

So don't toss the MBPro yet.

10. boatcapt thread starter macrumors member

Yes, Fishrrman that would give me a little more faith in Apple. They have to know they have a problem. I just wish they would step up to the plate and make it right.

11. boatcapt thread starter macrumors member

I have to do something now, my MBP took a final dump last night!