Don't know which Mac Pro to buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rick0530, Mar 15, 2009.

1. rick0530 macrumors newbie

at the moment, I am holding the money and thinking about the two mac pros.
    One is 2.9 4-core, and 2.26 8-core, these two are similar price. I dont know which one to go, could you guys give me some advice?
    I am currently using a 24 inch iMac, 2.4 Ghz core 2. I fund it is not enough for me, I want to do some photo editing, use some engineering softwares and watch Full HD movies.

Thanks!:)

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

How do you find its not enough for you? Its a mighty step up in price to go for a Mac Pro of those specs from a 24 inch imac, considering you'd have to factor in a display too (and I'm guessing you'd want a 24" screen at least). Full HD movies will play on anything from a Mac Mini upwards, photo editing depends on your kind of use but most people wouldn't see much difference between a 2.4GHz iMac and a 2.9GHz Quad Core or 2.26GHz Octo Core Mac Pro. It also depends on what engineering software you use? A lot of software currently can't make use of more than even one core, sometimes two. This is particularly true of old software and software from smaller software companies who can't dedicate the resources yet for multicore development.

3. rick0530 thread starter macrumors newbie

I updated my imac ram to 4GB, I think it would work fine.
    Thank all of your help.