Dont know which router to get (need fast reply)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tragedies, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Tragedies macrumors 6502

I'm getting my iMac in a few hours and I plan on getting the Airport Extreme with it so my sister doesn't need wired connection anymore and I can access the internet (we dont have a router yet).

Lately Ive been hearing alot of problems with the AEBS and I'm not sure if its a good idea to get it.

All I need is a router that will connect to my modem allowing internet access to my iMac and my sisters Macbook (and work with my parent's PC)

Does ANYONE know ANY GOOD Routers that work with Macs that aren't as expensive and dont have any problems? I'm not good at picking up Routers and I want to buy a cheap router but one that works great.

I don't need the USB attachment option. Just a simple good working router that works with PC and Mac.

Much help appreciated.

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

3. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

care to be more specific?

do all netgear routers work on macs?

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

all routers work with macs. Networking is a universal standard not mac/pc specific

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

I have an AEBS it's great.

Linksys is also good.

6. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I've had many Linksys routers and they pretty much all worked great. I've only ever replaced them to upgrade from B to G to N - wireless is important to me.

Cheers.

7. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh wow, I never knew all of 'em worked with Macs.

Can anyone recommended a few good ones that are cheap (like the exact model?). I don't want to be ripped off by someone at the store just to get rid of a cheap router.

Edit: I don't know if this has any relevance, but my parents use 802.11b

8. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

We probably need some more information before we can give you accurate specs.

Firstly, you say your parents run 802.11B. Are you in the same house as that wireless router? If so, why do you need a router? You can use the wireless signal from the one that's already there?

Also, your Mac is capable of so much more than 802.11B can deliver. G is faster and more secure, N is faster still and has extra security with greater range.

Your iMac is already capable of wireless as is the MacBook. It makes sense to me to use the wireless that's already in the house.

You can't use an Airport to extend the range of a non Airport wireless network. You can get range extenders for other wireless routers though so you could extend the range of your parents network.

Depending on how close your parents router is to when your Mac is, you might want to save your money on the Airport and upgrade their router to a wireless N router instead. They're fully backward compatible so they'll also let you use B and G on it.

All this is based on the assumption that you're in your parents house.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Cheers.

9. Tragedies thread starter macrumors 6502

Heres my situation.

Currently in my home (with parents) there are three computers.

My sisters Macbook. She connects to the internet by using a long ethernet cable that connects to our modem in the next room.

My parents computer. They use a USB Adapter (which says its 802.11b). My sister can't use this adapter because it doesn't work on Macs.

And the third is the Mac I'll be getting. It will be in my room, the furthest away from our modem.

We don't have a router in the home. I think you thought we had a 802.11b router. We don't have a router. I ment the USB adapter attasched to my parent's computer which lets THEM connect.

I'm interested in buyying a router because I've been told that it will allow access to my iMac and my sisters macbook WITHOUT wires. Which would be better for both of us.

Sorry for the trouble. I aint so smart with this.

10. rfrankl macrumors 6502

Get an Airport Extreme...its only a few bucks more. I had a Netgear, and it worked good, but the AE is every bit as good and way easier to set up.