Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
I don't know why people are saying the Apple Card is garbage. It is Apple first Credit Card, just give them a chance, they will probably add more features later. I think the Apple Card is pretty good.

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
Agreed.

It’s not the best in terms of cash back but it’s new and exciting and has nice integration with Apple features, Apple and we should just get both and enjoy nice, cool things.

Reactions: wxboss67

bige12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
Agreed.

It’s not the best in terms of cash back but it’s new and exciting and has nice integration with Apple features, Apple and we should just get both and enjoy nice, cool things.

I know they will probably add stuff later they just need to get the hang of it and you know there is always issues when things first come out. I think by next August I think there will be more benefits for the Apple Card. I do like the card a lot. Later they could Possible they could update the wallet and let us change the categories

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I don't know why people are saying the Apple Card is garbage. It is Apple first Credit Card, just give them a chance, they will probably add more features later. I think the Apple Card is pretty good.
Correct and wrong.

Correct: the Apple Card is a new way to use a credit card mated with cash back for the Apple brand loyalists.
I think it's the best and newest form of credit being offered from Apple.:cool:

Wrong: Apple Card is not the first credit card. It is the next generation credit card for Apple.
There are at least 2 previous creditors / lenders that were involved with Apple:
1. Citizen's Bank offered free financing for iPhones in their annual upgrade / jump program. Made it easy to get a new model every year...
2. Barclay's Apple Rewards card offered free financing too. I got this one years ago when that was the best way to purchase a new iPhone 7 with zero interest and Apple gift cards on top of that. Now, the Barclay's card is just plain useless because of the new GS Apple Card....

I have not upgraded my iPhone 7 since the Barclay's deal...:(

Now if Apple does the right thing to fully utilize the current GS Apple Card, they would offer the same zero % financing for the new upcoming 2109 iPhone.
I would jump on that one for sure! ;)

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
We all know there are plenty of negative posters here, some who don't even own the products they are bashing. I don't get credit cards for points back. Although , I like the daily accumulation of points. At this time in my life, I do not travel a lot and put 10k plus on my cards. Usually 3k and pay it off. So, the points are irrelevant. The interest rates are in line with the "majority" of card suppliers. I like the iOS integration, security, instant alerts, ease of payment, and internal messaging with GS. Plus, as mentioned, it is new and fun for now. Us older folks need a little bit of new and fun things in our lives--:)

I love the card. But, time will tell on its durability.

For now, it is the newest and latest thing. Which is enough for some folks---

Am also sure more will be added---

bige12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
We all know there are plenty of negative posters here, some who don't even own the products they are bashing. I don't get credit cards for points back. Although , I like the daily accumulation of points. At this time in my life, I do not travel a lot and put 10k plus on my cards. Usually 3k and pay it off. So, the points are irrelevant. The interest rates are in line with the "majority" of card suppliers. I like the iOS integration, security, instant alerts, ease of payment, and internal messaging with GS. Plus, as mentioned, it is new and fun for now. Us older folks need a little bit of new and fun things in our lives--:)

I love the card. But, time will tell on its durability.

For now, it is the newest and latest thing. Which is enough for some folks---

Am also sure more will be added---

I just like how fast you get the daily cash back. I have a captial one card and it used to be points, but they changed to miles. Before I can use my captial one miles it has to be at 5,000 miles before I can use them

wxboss67

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
I agree.

This was a big selling point for me as well. To get daily rewards/ money back is a great feature that might draw other people to this card.

Reactions: ruslan120

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
Correct and wrong.

Correct: the Apple Card is a new way to use a credit card mated with cash back for the Apple brand loyalists.

Wrong: Apple Card is not the first credit card. It is the next generation credit card for Apple.
There are at least 2 previous creditors / lenders that were involved with Apple:
1. Citizen's Bank offered free financing for iPhones in their annual upgrade / jump program. Made it easy to get a new model every year...
2. Barclay's Apple Rewards card offered free financing too. I got this one years ago when that was the best way to purchase a new iPhone 7 with zero interest and Apple gift cards on top of that. Now, the Barclay's card is just plain useless because of the new GS Apple Card....

Now if Apple does the right thing to fully utilize the current GS Apple Card, they would offer the same zero % financing for the new upcoming 2109 iPhone.

So is Apple changing the iPhone upgrade program away from Citizens? And is the Barclays card still the only way to get deferred interest when purchasing Apple products?

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
So is Apple changing the iPhone upgrade program away from Citizens? And is the Barclays card still the only way to get deferred interest when purchasing Apple products?

I just read a recent article on the new Apple card and how it impacts the previous creditors that Apple has used:
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2019/08/apple-card-offer-special-financing-plans-certain-purchases.html

Looks like Barclays has stopped it's partnership with Apple.
I wonder if Barclays will re-issue a different card to replace my "Apple Rewards" card in the near future ?

nrvna76

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2010
I just read a recent article on the new Apple card and how it impacts the previous creditors that Apple has used:
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2019/08/apple-card-offer-special-financing-plans-certain-purchases.html

Looks like Barclays has stopped it's partnership with Apple.
I wonder if Barclays will re-issue a different card to replace my "Apple Rewards" card in the near future ?

Not sure how accurate this article is.. I had not heard that they were offering special financing for purchases.. doesn’t mean it isn’t happening, can anybody else confirm?

“Secondly, Apple and Goldman Sachs will be offering separate financing plans for certain purchases done through Apple Card. Users would also have the option to carry a revolving balance. At the moment, it is unclear on what purchases Apple and Goldman Sachs will offer these financing plans. The minimum amount due for such purchases will not be included in any interest charges.”

Also, Barclaycard is still all over Apples website as of now..

Attachments

• C046065C-1856-4ADF-9AB1-0496249328CB.png
    C046065C-1856-4ADF-9AB1-0496249328CB.png
    707.2 KB · Views: 188
Reactions: 4sallypat

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012

I don't think people who were disappointed with the Apple card today have any intentions of sticking with that verdict forever. Let Apple bring more features onto the field and then people's assessments may change. But it is Apple's ball to play it right.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Correct and wrong.

I just posed the same question on a different sub-forum:
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...cing-or-upgrade-program-w-apple-card.2195078/

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
I don't think anyone is saying it's garbage. It just doesn't have the best cash back rewards rates as other free credit cards. I think the main complaint is about "high" interest rates, at least from what I have seen on MacRumors forums. I still think the main appeal of this card is the integration with Apple Wallet.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I can only speak for Australia... Apple card be popular in U.S, and some cases in Australia, but as yet Apple has not announced ...

The tip off i'm gong with, is here in AUS.., we already have contact-less payments with out credit cards.. Why do we need another one? People her are already comfortable searching round for the cheapest rates like they do with houses.

I don't expect 100% covered in Australia

goldbuffalo

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2017
Just made an apply pay purchase and will get 2%.

I do have a fidelity card that gives 2%

It can’t be garbage because no other card is giving more than 2%

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I wouldn't say it's garbage. It's just ... pointless for me. I get better cashback with my existing cards (and not just when using Apple Pay), plus benefits such as extended warranties and travel insurance. The cashback is automatically deposited to my checking account at the end of the month without having to mess around with Apple Cash or anything like that. I have the capability to create real virtual card numbers that are only valid for one merchant for a limited time period. If the issuer releases a new card that I like I can simply do a product change. I can manage the card using a web browser on my computer (being locked to the iPhone is a serious drawback of the Apple Card in my eyes).

In other words, I just don't see any reason to get one. That might of course change if they add meaningful benefits.

XCrystalMermaidX

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2019
The software, process, and features of the Apple Card are rad. And I really would love it... If I could still use it. I used it once to make a pre-order at a Gamestop. It was a wonderful experience. Tried to use it to make a purchase online and suddenly my identity is in question and everything has been locked.

Its less giving Apple a chance, they control the software, which has worked perfectly and I have 0 complaints in that regard. But Goldman has been a money lender since its founding in 1869. Their issues with identity verification, customer service and more is where a lot of the hate comes from. It seems to be almost arbitrary how they are handing these out. And a lot of times when they do get issued, nothing says they will stay issued (as I have experienced.)

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
It's a credit card - why are people getting so excited by a credit card there are hundreds of different credit cards.

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Just made an apply pay purchase and will get 2%.

I do have a fidelity card that gives 2%

It can’t be garbage because no other card is giving more than 2%
Aren’t Apple Store purchases 3%? That’s pretty good too IMO.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
If you buy anything Apple, like Apple Services, or you buy the products then it is 3% and also Uber & Uber Eats are now part of the 3%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.