Don't let strangers use your cellphone

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by moonman239, Dec 11, 2014.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

A woman made the mistake of handing her phone to someone who said he needed to contact his mother. She handed him her iPhone, and he went to Starbucks. She went in, and got booted out before she had a chance to recover her phone.

Lesson to be learned: When a stranger asks to use your phone, kindly say "no." If you want to help, offer instead to either contact whoever the stranger wants to contact or dial the number and put the called person on speakerphone.

http://abc7news.com/news/woman-tracks-stolen-iphone-to-starbucks-asked-to-leave/422446/

2. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

nor sleep in your bed...

nor drive your car...

nor hold your wallet...

The list goes on and on. They call them "strangers" for a reason.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

4. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

One person had a bad experience. It wouldn't stop me from helping someone who needed my help.

5. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

Thanks for the advice to make the world that little bit worse for everyone. If someone appears to need help weigh the risk/benefit. Losing a phone really isn't all that bad compared to the damage that could be done by not helping someone who really needs help. Also weigh the damage done by every adult treating every teenager as a thief.

What she definitely did do wrong, according to psychologists, was to repeatedly ask 'somebody' to help. It doesn't work. If you need help in a public place, single out a specific individual and tell them what is happening and what you need them to do. Otherwise 'diffusion of responsibility' happens and normally helpful people assume someone else is already doing the right thing.

6. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

7. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Your cellphone should never leave your hand. You dial, you speak for them and done. And it would have to be an emergency for me to do it for them or I would direct them to the closest landline or payphone. I for one, could never ask a stranger to use their cellphone. It would feel really strange, almost embarrassing to ask.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

She did the right thing, offering to make the call for him. And then she inexplicably handed her iPhone to the teen.

She was screaming "to the phone in Starbucks?" What phone? Was she screaming at some payphone? Who was on the other end? Why didn't she call the police herself instead of screaming into the phone for someone else to call them? That sentence is complete nonsense.

9. Ken Kaniff macrumors regular

I treat my phone like I treat my pee pee.. It stays in my pants most of the time and I only let someone I like handle it.

10. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

And what would you do if they took it and ran into starbucks with it?

11. Ken Kaniff macrumors regular

The broad in the story did not keep the situation under control in the first place. That's her fault.

12. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

There's a song about that!

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

For some reason ne'er-do-wells just don't ask to use my cell phone, hold my wallet or whatever. It could be the large caliber sidearm on my side that discourages them.

14. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Yes, blame the victim.

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

??? Broad in the story ???

16. Ken Kaniff macrumors regular

She's an idiot, not a victim.

That is what I said.

17. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Unless you live in SF or maybe Portland, anywhere else if you're walking in public talking to your pee pee that's laying across your face you're going to jail, crisis unit, or the circus.

18. Ken Kaniff macrumors regular

Haha! Valid point..

19. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    You have quite the neanderthal mindset.

20. Ken Kaniff macrumors regular

Sticks and stones..

21. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

So if someone asked to use your phone, and you stupidly gave it to them and they ran off with it, you would shoot them? I don't think that would count as self defense...

22. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

It isn't an issue because the ne'er-do-wells decide to look for another victim. They like helpless sheep.

23. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

And everyone who doesn't open carry a gun on their side is a helpless sheep (99% of society)? What a paranoid world you choose to live in. I feel sorry for you, it's really pathetic actually. And you often forget you're in the minority with that. Your placebo won't help you if someone catches you off guard. And with that gun on your side, you're a prime target! Good luck.

24. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Where I come from that word is for the fluid, not the dispenser. Takes on a whole new meaning... :D

25. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

broad?

You mean woman?

----------

I truly pity you. You've let hate rule your life.