don't like the new keyboard design

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Billy Bob, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Billy Bob macrumors regular

y family and I have been long time mac users. We have owned more macs that I care to even think about and have enjoyed them all until now. My problem is with the new macbook key board, I just can't get on to it. I have now had the computer for over 6 months and it's getting no better, I had hoped that I would go used to it in time but to no avail. It just feels like there isn't enough travel to the keys and they are in the wrong positions. Not only is my typing speed half of what it used to be on my previous ibook but I am constantly hitting the wrong key.

Aside from the key board I have also run into another problem with my mac book which is the lcd screen cracking. Now granted this is not entirely mac's fault but it cirtainly is not a difficult task to crack a macbooks lsd screen from what i have found. I would have hoped that they would have made them more durable as my ibooks were in the past.

Has anyone else suffered any of these issues?

2. TheStu macrumors 65816

Nope, I find the keyboard to be better than anything else i have ever used, and although I beat the ever loving not out of my system on a regular basis, my LCD is as good today as it was the day I bought it, 14 months ago.

3. joefinan macrumors 6502a

I agree - the keyboards are crap and the single reaston why I haven't yet upgraded my iBook.

4. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

I agree - The MacBook keyboards are pretty bad.

5. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I love the MacBook's keyboard, but I agree it's not for everyone. With that in mind, the iBook keyboard is garbage by comparison.

6. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Love the new keyboard much better then on my MBP :)

7. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Considering Apple can't gear it's innovations based on existing users and need to focus on aquiring new users I'll respond with what my wife said about her brand new Macbook:

(she's standing over me telling me what to type)

"I've used my husbands laptops over the years from IBM to Dell. I'm not computer savy by any means but I will say the keyboard on the Macbook is by far better than any laptop my husband has owned. I really love the way it feels"

Now this is what Apple is gearing towards, more satisfaction on a global basis rather than a satisfaction on a small basis. Sure existing mac users hate certain things that Apple has done (leopard ui tweaks, mb keyboards) but they have to look at a bigger picture and that's the all mighty bottom line dollar, getting more people to switch while still pleasing at least half of their existing user base.

Personally I like the keyboard. I've seen and typed on older keyboards (visiting a co-workers house and man does he have some old macs) and I like the new keyboard. So much as I hate typing on my dell now :(

8. TheStu macrumors 65816

I love how solid it feels, as does the MacBook Pro. I was at a Circuit City recently, and was marveled by the number of laptops there that had piss-poor keyboards. The flexed, or the lay-out was ridiculous, the keys were too small, or had almost no travel whatseover... really, the only ones that I like were one of the HPs, and the Lenovo... they were the only really solid feelings ones there that I could type on immediately with no more mistakes than i make now.

9. Anorion macrumors member

I've used a lot of keyboards on the various laptops I've worked on, and while the new macbook keyboard is not the nicest laptop keyboard I've used (that goes to the keyboard on the IBM Thinkpad T-series), it is a close second. I really like the crisp motion of the keys, and since I have big fingers, I like the extra space between the keys. Reminds me a bit of the spacing on the IBM Model-M on which I am currently typing. Just the spacing between the keys, not the motion or anything else.

Funny thing is, my friend likes they keyboard on my macbook for essentially the same reasons, and she has tiny hands. It's just a really well designed laptop keyboard.

10. -Josh- macrumors regular

I love my macbook's keyboard, i like it a lot more than the MBP. I don't see why everyone hates it!!