Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
At the moment I have a MBA but I'm finding myself pulling away from Apple (I've lost confidence in the way Apple is heading so am reluctant to invest further).

My plan was to try Windows 8 but it all looks fairly dire.

So what are my options? I almost want an Android-type 3rd operating system for my computer choice as well as my phone choice.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
At the moment I have a MBA but I'm finding myself pulling away from Apple (I've lost confidence in the way Apple is heading so am reluctant to invest further).

My plan was to try Windows 8 but it all looks fairly dire.

So what are my options? I almost want an Android-type 3rd operating system for my computer choice as well as my phone choice.

You could try Ubuntu Linux or a Google Chromebook.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
I tried Ubuntu a few years ago but you need to have some fairly good computer knowledge, which I don't have!

Am I right in thinking the Chromebook only works with an internet connection?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I tried Ubuntu a few years ago but you need to have some fairly good computer knowledge, which I don't have!

Am I right in thinking the Chromebook only works with an internet connection?

Unbuntu I think has come a long way in the last couple of years. It should be easier to use than before.

I've never used a Chromebook before, but it is my understanding that an Internet connection is required to do anything with it.

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
Keep with Apple - you know the OSX system by the sounds of it. Do you need to upgrade?

Although you've "lost confidence" in Apple they've not gone backwards in time - so you'll probably suffice. Its not like you're losing out on features or capacity that another operating system has.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.