Don't mess with Granny!

craigdawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
Sactown
Nursing home love triangle ends in homicide
Scorned great-grandmother, 78, blows away 85-year-old ex-lover

ATLANTA - Furious that their romance was ending, a 78-year-old great-grandmother shot her 85-year-old ex-beau to death as he read the newspaper in a senior citizens home, police said.

“I did it and I’d do it again!” Lena Driskell yelled to officers who arrived at the home June 10, according to testimony. Police said she was wearing a bathrobe and slippers, waving an antique handgun with her finger still on the trigger.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8347518/

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
At the hearing Friday, defense attorney Deborah Poole stressed Driskell’s clean criminal record and said she had had the gun since 1957. “She’s not a threat to anyone,” Poole said.

Tell that to the guy she shot. O thats right, he's dead.

Must have thought she has nothing to lose with being so old. who knows. I'll just make sure to walk the other way next time I see an old woman yelling at her boy toy

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Don't get on her bad side! I always thought old people were so nice and inocent. I guess not. Thats really unfortunate that she will probobly have to spend the rest of her presious years in prison.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Hehe... at least the man didn't have to go through incontinence, alzeihmers, etc etc.

Should this lady go to Jail? I find it hard she'd do it again, and afterall, it was a crime of passion.

lem0n

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Milano...
wow... I thought people past 60 are more mellow, apparently that's not the truth. And the woman seems to have plenty of energy still, she was screaming at the officer. I wonder whatever happened to his new companion... Grief struck? Or is granny is going after her too??? :eek:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
She had the gun since 1957 - that's nuts. I wonder if the bullets were that old....

Very weird, though, and sad....can't see her going to jail, though. Wouldn't be worth it. But keeping her on house arrest and preventing more incidents is definitely the way to go.

I can't even imagine being told my grandmother shot someone.... :eek:

D

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
When there was the case last year about the old man in Santa Monica running people over, my opinion was that he should not go to jail. There was no purpose because his crime was born of confusion and possible senility. Put him under house arrest and he won't do any harm.

But this is different. This woman knew exactly what she was doing, and that it was wrong. She also definitely could be a threat again. She shows no remorse. Sure, she's old, but as she just proved, you can still pull a trigger when you're old. What if she has some more grudges to clear up?

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
QCassidy352 said:
This woman knew exactly what she was doing, and that it was wrong. She also definitely could be a threat again. She shows no remorse. Sure, she's old, but as she just proved, you can still pull a trigger when you're old. What if she has some more grudges to clear up?
So what would you have done? It seems wrong to me to put an old woman behind bars for her last years...

lem0n

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Milano...
and those ppl in jail would beat her to pulp [that's what they all say] I think house arrest would be fine since she wouldn't have have the physical ability to run away anyway [and there is no point in running away]. I bet her lover loves her now :D

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I'm with QCassidy352 and xli_ne. This woman knowingly committed murder! What would I do? I'd put her behind bars. The sentence shouldn't be any different just because she's old. She's an adult and that means having all the responsibilities and living by the same rules all other adults do. I don't see how someone could think about just letting it go as if it were nothing.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
tobefirst said:
I'm with QCassidy352 and xli_ne. This woman knowingly committed murder! What would I do? I'd put her behind bars. The sentence shouldn't be any different just because she's old. She's an adult and that means having all the responsibilities and living by the same rules all other adults do. I don't see how someone could think about just letting it go as if it were nothing.
I wasn't saying letting her go as if nothing happened....imagine spend the rest of you life inside your house? It might not be the State Pen - but its still jail.

D

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I've heard that 80 is the new 50. I think he should be put away for a very long time for this atrocious attack on a fellow human being. Just because you are old does not make you immune to our justice system.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Yikes! :eek:

She definitely has to face the consequences. If not real prison/jail, then at least house arrest - but for how long? The rest of her life? It does seem a bit harsh, but she did commit murder. You really shouldn't have sympathy just because she's an elderly woman.

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
Also have to realize that she killed someone's dad, grandpa, great-grandpa or how ever long the list goes and those people will not get to see him anymore.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Like they always say there is nothing like a woman scorned. A very sad case. Certainly wouldn't want to be the prosecutor in this case. She can't be let go with out punishment.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
What are you softies talking about? She KILLED someone. She should get the punishment that murderers get. Are there laws for "senior juveniles"? If there are, I haven't gotten the memo.

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
broken_keyboard said:
Are you for real? The main purpose of jail is not rehabilition, or to protect the outside world, it's punishment.
Well, that may be the actual purpose of jail, but the supposed purpose of jail is in fact rehabilitation, which is why in the US all jails are in fact called "Correctional Facilities" and not "Jails."