Don't move while on?

Fame Monster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
In the handbook, it says not to move the laptop while it is running because of possible hardware damage? How strict is this rule?

Also, I just got my mbp yesterday, is it supposed to make a little chk chk sound?

copykris

Suspended
Sep 25, 2009
home
i know a lot of people like to use their laptop on their lap, but i always make sure i only turn it on when it's sitting on a level, flat and stable surface

maybe i'm just anal about these things though, i don't know

Comment

copykris

Suspended
Sep 25, 2009
home
to that i'd argue it's meant to be portable when it's either sleeping or powered down, not running

Comment

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I have always carried my Mac laptops when they are running, though I don't jolt it, as it may damage the HD.

So don't make sharp movements with it, but you can still carry it round carefully:D

Comment

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
In the handbook, it says not to move the laptop while it is running because of possible hardware damage? How strict is this rule?

Also, I just got my mbp yesterday, is it supposed to make a little chk chk sound?
Don't jolt it or hit it against stuff, otherwise, move it around as much as you like, there's no harm to it.

The sound you're hearing is most likely the hard drive's head when it stops spinning. If it is, it's a perfectly normal sound. A software update recently was issued because mbp's with 7200rpm would park their hard drive's heads much to often making all sorts of noise all the time.

Comment

copykris

Suspended
Sep 25, 2009
home
Police cars use laptops...
your point?

i'm aware that they *work* when lugged around while running

but that's not what i'm arguing, i'm just saying i don't believe it's beneficial to a computer in the long run to do so, hence why *i* don't

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.