Don't need the space, but should i get 1TB SSD anyway?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NewtonPippin, Dec 29, 2015.

1. NewtonPippin macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I'm about to buy a fully loaded iMac. I'm practically broke, but i'll get paid soon and I have JUST enough of a credit limit to make this purchase.

My question for you is this. I use about 100GB of space on my Retina MacBook (Early 2015). I definitely don't think I will use much more than that on my iMac. However, things could change, and I want this computer to last for a while (at least a year or two). Should I get a 1TB SSD? I refuse to get some crappy fusion drive with a spinning drive in the year 2015. I'd either get the 512GB SSD or 1TB, but I might actually go slightly over my credit limit if I buy the 1TB so I'm heavily debating this.

If it matters, I'll be getting the i7, 32GB, AMD 395X configuration. Maxed out.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

If you don't mind potentially relying on external storage sometime down the line, get the 512GB. If you want extra longevity, get the 1TB. Although the price difference is quite a lot. I personally wouldn't get less than 1TB (my 1TB right now is about 90% full).

3. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

You are wise to gravitate toward a SSD, but you certainly do not need 1 TB given your usage pattern. If your financial situation is as stated, this would also be quite irresponsible in terms of managing your money.

If you absolutely NEED (not want) a computer soon, I'd recommend 256 GB SSD, and then plan on supplementing it with external SSD later on - if needed. If you do not need it now, save for a few more months and get a 512 GB SSD without stretching your credit.

Your credit rating is more important than the memory in your computer.

4. cynics macrumors G3

Judging by your first couple of sentences I'd would probably go with the 512gb SSD vs maxing out your credit.

Also there is nothing wrong with the 2-3tb fusion if need the space or looking to save a buck. With your usage you'd get SSD speeds anyway since thats where your data would reside and you'd have space for future expansion if you ever did need the space.

5. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

Yeah an SSD.

You can back it up to a crappy spinning drive! ;)

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Don't buy the ram from Apple, and sounds like you don't need a 1GB SSD. I'd go for 8 GB ram and purchase another 16 elsewhere and the 512 ssd. your credit limit will thank you

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, definitely get a SSD, but if you're only using 100GB of space, why not get a 256GB SSD? I think 1TB is absolutely overkill given you are only using a 10th of what the 1TB will provide.

8. Trahearne, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015

Trahearne macrumors 6502

Just get 256GB SSD, and wire an external Thunderbolt/USB3 HDD/SSD as needed in the future. If you don't need the capacity NOW and you can't foresee the need, there is no point getting such and "future proofing" in this case is just flushing money down the toilet. At the time you eventually run out of space, you can definitely move your iTunes Library, Photos Library, Downloads folder, etc to an external drive, and use your creativity to hide it behind your iMac as if it never exists. ;-)

Moreover, like what others might have said, get 8GB RAM and do the memory upgrade on your own. Do you really need such lot RAM anyway? 8GB is already plenty for average Joe that does web surfing, office productivity and games. Better think twice before you progress - particularly what the machine has to do for you.

9. desmond2046 macrumors regular

desmond2046

Don't max out your credit limit... make some room for emergency in life

10. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

You don't say what you're going to be using this Mac for, so tricky to give you any sensible advice. But, if you're only using 100Gb on your current Mac, then I suspect 256Gb is ample. As for the rest of the 'maxing out' - I would look at those options as well.

11. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP:

If you're "practically broke", NO it's NOT worth spending the extra $$$ for a 1tb SSD.

Your best bet in my opinion would be to buy the 2tb fusion drive. This will give you a 120gb SSD mated with a 2tb HDD. Plenty of speed, lots of storage, and probably the best value in the current iMac lineup.

12. zacster macrumors member

I went with the 2tb fusion drive myself. Lots of space for just about anything you can throw at it, and still fast because of the 128gb of SSD. My main concern with hard drive space is the 5k (or 4k) video, it'll eat up a hard drive if you store it. I only had a handful of videos, and not hi-res, on my old iMac because of this.

But if you're broke why are you buying a maxed out computer? Unless you are doing UHD video editing you don't really need anything but the stock model, which is still faster than anything you've seen before. It took me 10 years to replace my iMac and I'm pretty well off financially.

13. NewtonPippin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice everyone! I plan to use this computer mostly for Facebook, some music listening, and Netflix. I realize it might be a machine more powerful than I need, but I want it to last me a couple years and still perform well! (I also have a girlfriend to impress LOL)

14. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

Girls are impressed by financial responsibility, at least I am.

15. zhaoxin macrumors regular

As you are a broke people, I suggest you leave some money for yourself other than buying anything unnecessary. You have a Macbook pro retina 2015. You will not get much on the iMac 5K, unless you want to keep broken with playing games other than find a job. If you really want a big screen, just buy a normal 4K monitor. That saves you a lot of money than buying a new iMac. You don't need the iMac 5K at all at this time.

16. terrymaz macrumors regular

This is just a very strange post.......

Broke? Just bought a 2015 MBP
    Only using 100gb. Getting 1tb
    Using for FB, music and netflix but maxed it out?????

Somethings not right. LOL

17. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Yeah, as I suspected - a bragging rights machine. No point in giving you advice, you'll ignore it anyway.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think she'll be impressed by the size of the SSD, but rather how much money you have to treat her.

Given the lower needs you've expressed, a top end machine is really over kill and a waste of money. The low end iMac will do these now and for years to come. You don't need the high end machine to make it future proof for your needs.

19. DSTOFEL, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015

DSTOFEL macrumors 6502

Here is the telephone number you need to call when you order your computer: 888-825-5225. Just tell them everything you mentioned in your original post (i.e. I'm broke, but think I can get the top of the line, fully "maxed" iMac if I max out my credit....and oh yeah, my girlfriend will be impressed......). They will tell you exactly what you need to do. Actually, this is the number to the Dave Ramsey show. You really should call.....just be prepared to get yelled at!

Seriously, spend some time analyzing your needs/intended uses for an iMac (i.e. The uses you list are about as "light" as there are).....and then try to match up those needs with a model that fits. What you are looking at now (i.e. I7, 1TB SSD, etc...) is way overkill for the intended use you mention. It's like killing a fly with a sledge hammer.

But....it's your money! Well not really I guess!

20. terrymaz macrumors regular

Its funny cause i was trying to save money but after lots of research here and some photography sites i ended up buying up. My maxed out one minus ram of course is prepping for shipment. I then read a goofy post like this one. (thank god my cuz works for Apple, it helped a little $)

21. NewtonPippin thread starter macrumors regular

My new machine :) :) :) :) (Cropped it above the serial number for obvious reasons!)

Financially irresponsible but man it feels good...

Attached Files:

22. desmond2046 macrumors regular

desmond2046

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy it. It's never too late to manage your finance and budget for savings.

23. smirking macrumors 6502a

[facepalm] Why did you even bother asking? You were never going to even consider anyone's advice in the first place.

I'll echo everyone who were saying that it was a dumb purchase, but if it'll make you happy, I guess it's not a total waste. Congrats. You got a sweet machine.

I'm going to be getting a maxed out machine myself and a top end monitor as soon as the Skylakes arrive. I'll need every ounce of the power though and even a 2Tb is cutting it close for me.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Congrats, which drive did you buy?

Good luck on dealing with your finances.

25. cynics macrumors G3

The OP is probably the same person that will sell this new iMac at an incredibly low price because he needs the money for something else.

Buying a maxed out iMac for future proofing is a very bad idea. Speed isn't a problem for an iMac and for your use even the base model is future proofed. However things like wireless AC, thunderbolt 2, h265 hardware decoding built into skylakes, etc etc are all recent examples of things a maxed out iMac couldn't provide. Even 5k resolution is now the standard for 27" iMacs, something a maxed out 2013 couldn't provide obviously.

This trend will continue with better speakers, better FaceTime camera, USB C, thunderbolt 3, larger SSD, and probably half a dozen other things that are slipping my mind. You'll likely want to upgrade before even starting to scratch the surface of speed limits invoked by the specs you currently have or using anywhere near 1tb of space on the SSD.

That said, if money wasn't an option that's the iMac I would buy for sure. :D