Don't overthink transferring AT&T data plan to new iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AndyfromTucson, Mar 16, 2012.

1. AndyfromTucson macrumors member

Just go into Settings on your new iPad, Cellular Data, click View Account, and it will prompt you to enter your email address and password to transfer your existing data plan to your new iPad. Worked flawlessly for me.

2. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Remember to scroll down after choosing the old plan so you can click next.

I used to think it was all tied to the SIM, so I transferred the SIM to the new iPad. But I couldn't access the account settings with it.

3. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Good point. It was a piece of cake here too. I did a restore from backup then updated the account like you described.

[For some reason, however, I chose this time to download my Navigon Map data. Be back in an hour or two when its finished!]

4. Tones2 macrumors 65816

That's REALLY good advice as this had me scratching my head as what to do for like 10 minutes! :D

Tony

5. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

So can I still transfer my old $25/2GB plan, or will it force me to switch to current $30/3GB plan?

My old SIM from iPad 2 works just fine in LTE iPad, but I am limited to HSPA data. I want to keep my $25/month plan, but still get LTE.

6. sealos macrumors regular

The $25 plan will show up as a 2GB LTE plan for ... $25.

Although an extra gig for $5 is very tempting....

7. aka777 macrumors 6502a

If you have a postpaid AT&T ipad plan, you indeed have to call them up.

8. sealos macrumors regular

Nope... just log into your account from with the Settings / Cellular Data page.

Keep your NEW SIM in there. Your old SIM will be de-activated within a few minutes.

You do not have to call anyone at all.

9. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

Almost 10 hours and the old iPad is still activated on my unlimited plan... both are working well.

Naturally I am not planning to call anyone at AT$T about this- it will be interesting to see if and when the old SIM does go offline.