Don't panic or drool just yet...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jouten, May 10, 2007.

1. Jouten macrumors newbie

Jouten

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9717634-1.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

If you read that, you'll understand why. Right now, imho, Santa Rosa is nothing to sweat or get worked up about.

And remember, it doesn't matter what you buy, it will always be obsolete before it even gets shipped to you or by the time you reach your car in the store parking lot. :p

New Convert :apple:

2. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

thats a lot to read, cant you just summarize it for me. Long articles put me off!

3. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Sounds as if Santa Rosa, err, I mean the "new" Centrino Duo platform, might not be all that sexy after all. :p

4. ajhaji macrumors regular

I don't think anyone was expecting Santa Rosa to be revolutionary. It's an incremental upgrade to the existing platform, and that's all it was ever intended to be. Incremental upgrades are important, too!

5. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

the only thing that might be "revolutionary" would be the Robson part.. but I'm not sure if it's part of the Santa Rosa platform.

6. bluush macrumors 6502

Yet another reason I knew waiting would serve little to no purpose, and I sure wasn't about to wait around six months for Leopard.

I won't say Santa Rosa is unimportant as obviously any improvements are to be welcomed with open arms, but I'm not so sure SR is important to the point that Apple will race out to upgrade its whole line right away. Truthfully, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple waits until Leopard before shipping SR units (if not completely bypassing the upgrade and waiting for Penryn instead).

Of course, that's all speculation. I'm pretty sure though that Apple is going to aim for the biggest bang for their buck in regards to the iPhone release and will have no interest in diluting their advertising campaign in order to push a minor upgrade like SR.

Just my 2 cents.

7. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I have said it before, but the people waiting want upgrade for the sake of upgrade.

The X3000/3100 offers a slight improvement over the current graphics, the only glimmer is the robson caching (now Intel Turbo Memory).

8. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

kind of a let down...

But hey, faster is faster.

9. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

In the history of the industry, there has yet to be a truly giant leap that's happened overnight. Instead, it's been a continuous series of small steps. These small steps do add up to large gains rather quickly -- since each (small) gain is only a few months apart from the previous... ;)

10. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Although there have been a few technologies that raised the bar significantly. A recent example would be the Core Duo from the Pentium 4.

11. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

or voodoo chispets to the geforce chipsets :)

12. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

or the led displays from the lcd :D

13. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Or G4 to Core Duo - ok, completely different chips, but it took the speed of mac laptops up incredibly - overnight.

14. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

Actually, the displays will remain LCD. It is the backlight that will be LED.

15. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

Hopefully this will make the fickle a little happier with their pre-SR purchases, and may lessen the quick downfall of value on used Apple equipment. That is the one thing I missed about the G3, G4, & G5 days - resale value.

16. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I find this this rather amusing. From reading this forum, you might conclude that Apple is a short step from Enron for not having SR available a micro-second after its availability. Some 'potential switchers' have been threatening to go back to Acme Computer. Yet the reality is, SR is probably not as important as many of the other initiatives Apple has coming due soon. They should offer it in the near future, but it surely does not have to be a a frantic pace.

17. bluush macrumors 6502

I guess the MBPs could come with SR when the new LED models ship, but I can't really see many people using SR as a make-or-break in terms of making a purchase. I'm a bit surprised at the fuss made over SR, actually.

Montevina seems to be a slightly larger step than SR, boosting the frontside bus speed from 800 (SR) to 1067 (Cantiga), but these are still baby steps. It should be rather clear now that the current CD/C2D machines have a decent life ahead of them and there is no reason not to invest in a great machine to enjoy for years to come right now.

SR looks great on paper, but I'm sure if someone put two laptops with the same specs, one a current MBP and one a MBP with SR, in front of the average user, they wouldn't be able to detect any difference. I guess if people want to wait 4-5 months for an upgrade that may increase their boot time by a half second or so then who am I to dissuade them ... but it doesn't make much sense to me.

18. 2fives macrumors regular

DUDE!!! You need to get familiar with your MAC!!! Use the summarize service in Safari.

19. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

So somebody explain to me why Multi kept shouting in BOLD type at people who suggested several months ago that if people needed a C2D machine at that time then they should just buy it rather than waiting for the Santa Rosa revolution?

20. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

that's because apple's laptop line skipped an entire generation of processors, the g5.

21. g7by08believeit macrumors member

Because it doesn't take much research to realize that SR wasn't going to be as huge as many thought.

If you need a machine now, then buy it now. The time spent on waiting is (usually) not worth it.

22. patioman macrumors newbie

You think THAT is a long article? Shameful!

23. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

read the last paragraph:

Overall, we'd say none of the above technologies is revolutionary, but each has the potential to bring incremental gains in performance and battery life--a step in the right direction, especially considering Vista's reputation as a resource hog. Again, we wouldn't recommend rushing out immediately to buy a Centrino Duo system, but if you're in the market for a new laptop, the new platform will give you a modest boost now while letting you adopt faster memory and wireless speeds as they become widely available.

24. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

thank you. i cant concentrate on long paragraphs. lots of litle paragraphs are fine though

25. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

thank you. i cant concentrate on long paragraphs. lots of litle paragraphs are fine though