Don't quite understand?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by splatterific, Jul 31, 2012.

1. splatterific macrumors member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343781226.672541.jpg

I installed 12gb of ram in my 2.7ghz i5 iMac. I have no apps running. It looks to me that it's saying there's only 4gb of ram avail. And that I'm using nearly 7gb. On what I don't know. Trust me it's possible that I'm just not interpreting it correctly. What do I think?

2. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Page outs is what you want to look at. That's when the system writes information to your drive because it's out of memory. You're at 0 bytes, so you're totally good. The memory isn't displayed as free until something else needs it, but be assured that it's usable by your programs and the system.

3. splatterific thread starter macrumors member

Made me check into because I was on iPhoto uploading 1,500 pics and it started acting slow. Had noticed free space down to mb's. Swap files were climbing quickly. I wouldn't think that just transferring pics were asking to much of it. I hope.

4. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Pro tip: cmd+shift+4 to get crosshairs that you can use to take a screenshot with. After you have the crosshairs, you can either drag an area, or tap space to get a camera icon to shoot any window in its entirety. cmd+shift+3 to screenshot entire screen.

5. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

When importing photos to iPhoto, the photos are processed while importing. In other photo apps like Aperture, the photos import and then are processed.

This can make it look like iPhoto is importing photos very slowly when in fact, it's importing+processing at the same time.

I use Aperture and it's very fast to import the photos (only the time it takes to transfer the files), but then the processing queues up as a background task that can take some time (but since it's a background task you really don't notice unless you look into the status window).

For what it's worth, I also have 12 gb of ram in my iMac.

As others have said, look at the page outs. If you start seeing that add up, then you would have a problem.