DON'T screw yourselves, GET insurance on your iPhones NOW

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MnkyPwz, Jun 26, 2010.

1. MnkyPwz macrumors member

I just figured i'd point out the obvious. These phones cost a BUTT load of cash, and putting yourself into a position where you would need to pay for it twice is just insane. I emplore you ALL to grab up some insurance.

I went into my local State Farm rep's office (Small office mind you, literally only one room) and inquired about getting my iPhone insured during the 3G release. She (the rep) got onto the phone with someone higher than herself asking if she was able to file it under a specific policy covering they have and told me within less than 10 minutes I was covered. Fastforward to yesterday I called her again, seeing that I allowed my old policy lapse, since I had sold the phone and asked if they still had that option, she let me know that it would be $92 for the entire year for x2 iPhone 4's. That $92 covered both my 32GB i4 as well as my wife's 16GB i4. So for that price the policy coveres EVERYTHING, from theft, loss, accidental damage, water damage, etc. etc. etc.

I feel pretty pleased knowing that now I have some form of cushion, just incase I drop this thing.

All I needed was my reciept for the actuall phone, which needed to have the serial number on it, and she put it through. One question I did have for her was regarding the insured amount of the phones seeing that I got them with new contracts and the recipt reflected the subsidized prices. She stated that they have (in their system) the model number with each cost, they then add tax for the area and that is the amount they insure it for. Needless to say by the time I got off the line with her I was MORE than happy.

Do yourselves a solid, GET insurance.

BTW if anyone is intrested in getting it, and for whatever reason your statefarm rep won't insure you, PM me, and I'll give you my reps details. I did everything over the phone, seeing that all I needed to do was email her copies of my receipts and ID, and I was done. SO I'm sure it wouldn't matter if you were in a different state than myself.

P.S: I almost forgot the best part, you don't need to be a previous policy holder with them. This can be your one and only policy if you'd like. Also there is NO deductible. I checked with her SEVERAL times before starting the policy.

2. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Yeah I concur.

I dropped my 3GS once and shattered the glass on the front of it. Now don't go calling me saying I'm not careful etc because accidents can happen to anyone.

I had a 3G before that and never dropped that so it was just a pure one off but that's all it took!

Imagine if I didn't have insurance? £400 for a new handset. It just cost me a £20 excess and I got a brand new phone delivered next day before 12 noon. That's right it was brand new, all accs included and not a refurb, came in sealed retail packaging.

3. MrRage macrumors member

I think insurance is over rated as well as Apple care.

Apple care really doesn't cover the issues that are going to kill your phone and well... insurance is going to cost some amount of money per year plus a deductible. You can replace the iPhone with a core swap an an Apple store for $199 USD.

Its not a bad deal if you work out the math. It does not cover theft but at least for me its worked out so far. And I did pay $199 USD about three months ago to replace my 3Gs when the screen broke.

The core swap (Out of Warranty replacement) covers cracked glass and water damage. Does not cover your phone if you ran over it with a truck, lit it on fire or smashed it against the wall in a fit of rage.

4. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

What's a core swap?

5. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Just keep in mind if something happens your home insurance will go up. Have too many claims and they will drop you. 199 for replacement is pretty good.

6. MnkyPwz thread starter macrumors member

I"m finding it difficult to understand your logic, so could you enlighten me?

So your saying you'd rather, or better yet you DID/PREFFERED to spend $199+tax to have your iPhone swaped for a refurbished phone, which you addmitedly stated wouldn't even been an option as it didn't cover if you lost, burnt, or accidentaly/purposefully ran over your phone. Than simply spending ~$45//year and have it replaced (BRAND NEW) no matter what happened to it. I just can't get behind your logic, but t each his own.

I can see an argument regarding Apple's Applecare, as it truthfully doesn't cover much, but what I can't see is an argument against actual CHEAP AS **** insurance.

7. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I think he's talking about taking your phone to get replaced at a Genius Bar if it's out of warranty.

8. MnkyPwz thread starter macrumors member

I knew I forgot to mention something.

I DO NOT have any other policy with StateFarm, so I'm not worried about any home owners insurance going up, nor my automibile insurance(GEICO) and there is NO deductible for this policy, I MADE SURE I had her explain that to me SEVERAL times. I had to make sure this was the cheapest and best insurance solution for my needs, and it is BAR NONE.

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Years ago I worked at Circuit City and Best Buy, and even today I work in IT. I see how much equipment gets broken, arrives broken, dies after a week, etc so I ALWAYS get insurance even though most likely I could fix whatever went wrong.

The cost of parts is ridiculous sometimes and just paying a little $$$ up front for insurance can be hugely beneficial.

Not to mention most people don't realize phones are subsidized and if it breaks you will be paying the full price not the price you bought it for.

10. MnkyPwz thread starter macrumors member

Exactly, it makes NO sense to go comfort less. To me I once I got off the line with her I must say I slept easier knowing no matter WHAT my wife , or better yet my x3 kids would do to our phones, I wouldn't be breaking my pocket inorder to replace them.

That is a good thing, IMHO

11. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Oh ok your talking about an actual dedicated insurance. I have state farm for my house and heard of people adding it to their homeowners. Did not know they had a separate insurance. I will contact them Monday. Thanks!

12. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

The insurance companies love mugs (sorry, people) like you...

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Cheaper insurance (especially in households with multiple iPhones): Just keep one iPhone 3GS as a back-up and use that if your iPhone 4 breaks to tide you over until iPhone 5 comes out. The 3GS is plenty fast enough even with iOS4.

14. xmtgx macrumors regular

You could have just bought a new glass/digitizer for like 30 bucks and did it yourself.

15. aequitas1234 macrumors member

lol, yeah.

The fact is that the phone is warrantied for a full year against anything but theft/dropping/water. Honestly, if any of those things happen, it's almost certainly your fault (unless you get mugged or something).

If insurance is $100/yr, and a core swap is $200, it probably doesn't make sense unless you have a history of doing things like throwing your phone in a swimming pool.

16. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

i'd rather pay $700 for a new one then have my insurance premium go up or even get dropped cause i claimed a damn phone. separate policy? maybe! but i aint worried about $700

17. livingonvideo13 macrumors regular

livingonvideo13

I understand Insurance on big ticket items like a House or Car where if something went wrong it would totally screw over your life, but insurance on a computer or phone or any electronics around $500? These are not life changing things that might happen if it goes bye-bye. I rather roll the dice.

AppleCare free since my first Apple ][+ computer.

18. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

The State Farm personal articles policy is separate from your regular homeowners insurance, and making a claim on it will not affect it. They of course could drop your personal articles policy if you make too many claims on it, but it does not affect your regular homeowners because it is a separate policy.

19. The3nd macrumors regular

Not true, every year your account comes up for renewal review in which they view all claims done by you over the past year for everything insurance related. Based on that they can lower raise or drop your policy depending on a risk assessment.

20. Neil1138 macrumors regular

I don't need insurance, God will protect my iP4

21. gouda272 macrumors regular

Nice One.

How does State Farm and other large insurance carriers like this handle claims. What is the turnaround time to get money? For example if you have a crack screen to they just give you 600 for a new phone or do they make you ship it out for repair and pay the repair costs ? and how long does that process take ? For places like Squaretrade that is a 2-day process. Which is my I am always keeping a spare older iphone around in case I ever need to use the insurance.

22. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

I contacted StateFarm a few months ago about starting ~$5k policy to cover my macs and photo gear to give me some piece of mind as I travel the world but they said I was ineligible to start a personal articles policy due to not having an existing homeowners or auto policy. This was in Dallas, TX. Maybe I should call another agent and see if they give me the same response.

23. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

State farm dosent cover iPhones, I asked about it when I put my MacBook pro on my personal articles policy.

24. ScKcBc macrumors regular

I cannot receive PM's yet. please e-mail me your reps info at
    sckcbc [@] gmail.com Thanks

25. LoganT macrumors 68020

I thought about getting insurance, but then I realized something. I never drop my phone, or I have dropped my phone but it doesn't break. Obviously I will be more careful with the iPhone 4.

I looked at SquareTrade and yes I could get insurance on my phone, or if I drop my phone and it breaks I go to Apple get it replaced for 200 dollars (is it still 200 dollars if it's a 32 GB?). That may be more expensive, but chances are I won't actually break it.

I'm not sure how much SquareTrade is, obviously cheaper than getting a replacement at the Apple store. But why waste the money to insure it, when I'm probably not going to break it. And if I did, it wouldn't be that expensive in the first place to repair it.